Apple event to feature a black U2 iPod? | iLounge News

Apple event to feature a black U2 iPod?

“Rock band U2 has cut a deal with Apple Computer to sell custom iPods promoting the band’s forthcoming album.

Sources close to the group say the U2 edition of the popular digital music player will come preloaded with the band’s new album, How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb, along with portions of the Irish supergroup’s 25-year catalogue. The iPods will be black and will be made available the same week as the band’s 11th studio album, which is slated to be released in the U.S. by Universal Music Group’s Interscope Records on November 23.”

« Kensington announces FM Transmitter/Auto Charger

Apple announces special music event with U2 »

Comments

There go my hopes for a Negativland iPod.

Posted by Zachary on October 19, 2004 at 7:05 AM (CDT)

wow, its funny how the slightest move apple makes can create such a stir in its fan base.  My guess is that apple’s marketing guru’s are grabbing an older gen to fill in the few gaps remaining.  remember the “ipods are popular with youth” reports?  what were the responses?  DUH!  everyone knows that ipods are popular with teens.  now apple just needs to solidify the adult population market to keep its products above “kids toy” status.  apple is simply trying to close the gender gap by offering products that both kids, teens, and parents alike can enjoy, and they’re doing it one gen at a time.  it makes sense and i think many readers in here have picked up on that.  remember, its not just about the hardware…  itunes is the gel that holds it all together.

as far as a black ipod?  i don’t think so, maybe with the hp+ line of ipods, because they already have different skins to play with, and the target gen is mostly pc users anyway.  apple is going to stick to their product line because it works.  with the introduction of the new imac, i honestly don’t see a major color shift in the ipod line.  it wouldn’t go with the what they truly WANT to sell:  computers.  obviously, with pc’s anything goes, and usually without regard for unity and integration.  (opps, did i say that aloud?) ;-)

Posted by apple juice on October 19, 2004 at 7:06 AM (CDT)

Has everyone forgotten about that patent Apple filed for using LEDs to change the external appearance of “computer hardware”?  ...or would that just be tacky?!

This is really annoying for me actually, I just ordered an iPod last week (shipped today but not arrived yet).  I’d have waited if I’d known a black one was on the horizon :-(

Posted by Mark on October 19, 2004 at 7:30 AM (CDT)

All you people that gripe about this and gripe about that….get over it. Cant a company promote something or create something without you complaining about it.

Who cares what you think. If you dont like it…...dont buy it. WOW, theres a concept you probably didnt even think about.

Apple could care less what you think and so do I.

Posted by whatisurmalfunction on October 19, 2004 at 7:50 AM (CDT)

Apple has produced limited edition iPods before, remember the Madonna signature pod? Also, if it is going to display images, gray or black is a better background than white. Ansel Adams mandated that gallery walls be painted 18% gray wherever his work was displayed. (Hey…how about Ansel signature pod!?)

Posted by peirce on October 19, 2004 at 7:52 AM (CDT)

maybe it’s my age showing, but yellag could learn something about spelling and punctuation.

go u2! go apple!

hey, marketing is where it’s at in the machine.

Posted by mvague on October 19, 2004 at 8:23 AM (CDT)

lol, Zachary!

Posted by mvague on October 19, 2004 at 8:26 AM (CDT)

yes the madonna ipod… pay $100 extra dollars for an ipod with madonna’s signature. you’d have to be a sucker…

about the rumoured black ipod.. why black? is this color significant to u2? or is just supposed to be “cool”?

i prefer white though… it looks cleaner and not like every other mp3 player out there.

obviously the 2 big announcements will be some sort of u2 promo ipod and the eu store.

but it would be nice if they release itunes 5 (long overdue) and a new mini in time for christmas. we’ll see…

Posted by Travis on October 19, 2004 at 8:29 AM (CDT)

Travis, why d’you say that iTunes 5 is long overdue?  What do you expect to see in v5?

Posted by Mark on October 19, 2004 at 8:35 AM (CDT)

Black is interesting, although I hope it will not have any U2 logos on it.  That would be tacky.

Posted by mflat5 in USA on October 19, 2004 at 8:40 AM (CDT)

U2 is the biggest rock&roll; band of all time. Period. Having an iPod dedicated to them is all smarts.

Posted by Robin on October 19, 2004 at 10:08 AM (CDT)

how come you guys don’t post any info on the rumors of the color 60G ipod, but you do on the supposed black u2 ipod?  mmm?  hmmm?!

okay, i don’t really care.

Posted by Jeff on October 19, 2004 at 10:37 AM (CDT)

just have a look on i tunes music store bongo and the boys selling ipod’s ????

Posted by baker dave on October 19, 2004 at 10:45 AM (CDT)

In my case, it has nothing to do with age, or my musical literacy.

I have been involved with music my entire life, and I love GOOD music. I listen to EVERYTHING. From some old school hiphop, to Enya.

I think if they had to do this, U2 is a great band to do it for. They are world renown, and have a HUGE fan base. Their musical ability is good, and they are definitely poineers of their genre.

HOWEVER, I think they suck. I have never liked their sound. That is why I bash a U2 iPod. Seeing an iPod of a real poineer of an entire genre would be nice. Marley for example. I know he was on the iPod box at one point, but he would make a good iPod.

There are MANY jazz greats which would make good subject matter for that also. Thelonious Monk anyone?

U2 stands out in what they do, but I think there are better and more accomplished musicians that deserve the honor more…

Though is it really that honorable to be on an iPod?

Posted by Awesome-O on October 19, 2004 at 11:13 AM (CDT)

U2 is not old, for one I do not consider myself at 40 old, I am only more wiser and more active than most 20 year olds i know, as for the ipod, I do not own one, but i will purchase one with U2 on it,  I am a big fan and always will be. If Apple releases a U2 ipod i will spend the cash.

Posted by Cathy on October 19, 2004 at 11:16 AM (CDT)

Re a special iPod just for one artist—yes, Apple would. They’ve done it before. Black? We’ll see.

Re choosing U2… it’s not about “honor” or about Apple seeking out who “deserves” an iPod. It’s a marketing agreement between two businesses. One which I suspect will be successful for both.

I like U2. I like black. I hate “Vertigo” :)

Posted by Nagromme on October 19, 2004 at 12:04 PM (CDT)

for the people who dont belive this look on the forbes news under apples quote symbol AAPL it clearly states that apple released this information

Posted by BEn on October 19, 2004 at 1:03 PM (CDT)

black iPod, hmm, sounds pretty tasty.

but speaking of artists who “deserve” to be immortalized on an iPod, who better than Phish? sure they are no longer a group, but not many bands could single handedly fill up a 40gb ipod, or even 60gb for that matter.

Posted by bhoward43 on October 19, 2004 at 1:07 PM (CDT)

Even though I have a 3G ipod already, I may shell out for a new black one.  It’d be awesome if it were none more black.  How much more black can it be?

U2 is indeed still rockin’.

/car license plate is “U2 ZOO”.

Posted by m. sherman on October 19, 2004 at 1:31 PM (CDT)

“but speaking of artists who “deserve” to be immortalized on an iPod, who better than Phish?”

Lots.  A digital music player should be associated with digital music.  Because you need music on the Trans-Europe Express, real robots should be clamoring for a Kraftwerk signature iPod.

Posted by ohm sweet ohm on October 19, 2004 at 1:51 PM (CDT)

Page 2 of 4 pages  < 1 2 3 4 >