Apple exec provides iPod Camera Connector details [updated] | iLounge News

Apple exec provides iPod Camera Connector details [updated]

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Wednesday, February 23, 2005
News Categories: iPod

pic In addition to its revamped iPod photo lineup, Apple today also announced the Camera Connector accessory, which gives users the ability to import photos directly from their digital camera for instant viewing and slide show playback on the devices. Apple did not give any further information or image of the iPod add-on except to say that it will ship in late March for $29.

Greg Joswiak, vice president of hardware marketing at Apple, revealed further details of the Camera Connector in an interview with CNET News.com. He said that it is a small white plastic device that is similar to a small docking station with a cable for connecting to the iPod and a USB port for connecting to a camera. Joswiak noted that pictures loaded onto an iPod photo directly from the Camera Connector will be able to be viewed immediately on the device. However, in order for the photos to be shown on a TV, the iPod Photo will need to be connected to a computer first.

Update: At an Apple press event in Japan to introduce the new iPod models, a presentation slide revealed what the new iPod Camera Connector will look like (see above-right).

« IDC estimates large iPod shuffle profit margin

iPod mini 6GB Box Opening Photo Gallery »

Comments

I believe that the photo import option was always there on my 3g…

Posted by tymeflame in room on February 23, 2005 at 5:55 PM (PDT)

My digital camera can show pictures on my TV, why can’t the iPod.

Posted by Jon in Seattle, WA on February 23, 2005 at 6:04 PM (PDT)

The iPod can. Mine does smile

Slideshows (which support transitions) may require pre-scaling provided by the computer? Just a guess. TV-out is only for slideshows, so I’d guess that they are some part of that issue.

Posted by Nagromme on February 23, 2005 at 7:19 PM (PDT)

I’d venture that if the iPod can scale down to 20x20 (or whatever res the little thumbnails are) then it can scale to VGA.  maybe transitions would require some more-intensive processing, but there should be a transition-free option for new and unprocessed photos.

Posted by dethbrakr in Tacoma, WA on February 23, 2005 at 8:55 PM (PDT)

well there’s always sthg preventing ipod photo from becoming a true photobug’s companion

Posted by joon on February 24, 2005 at 12:43 AM (PDT)

Do you think it would be possible to connect the iPod Camera Connector to a 3G iPod?

In all the news articles about it, it talks about being connected to an iPod Photo, but there’s no mention that it connects ONLY to the iPod Photo.

Ah well, I guess we’ll just have to wait and see. For $30, it’s worth the try.

Posted by twum on February 24, 2005 at 2:11 AM (PDT)

“However, in order for the photos to be shown on a TV, the iPod Photo will need to be connected to a computer first.”
now that makes the connector just useless in my opinion. why should i want to transfer the pics to the ipod when i can also watch them on the cam? if it would be possible to transfer the pics to the pod and then do a slideshow on a TV, okay that might be useful in very rare situations, but that way…
just a weird gimmick in my eyes…

Posted by [SkR] on February 24, 2005 at 3:12 AM (PDT)

dethbrakr: the iPod can;t do any scaling. It is ALL done by the computer, and then loaded into separate databases on the iPod.

Posted by bluejacket in London on February 24, 2005 at 3:43 AM (PDT)

as long as you can use it to store the photo data on the computer, unmodified from the original format…

Posted by JCO on February 24, 2005 at 4:44 AM (PDT)

is it confirmed that it’s gonna be compatible with the previous photo iPod models?

Posted by Larouche in Montreal, QC on February 24, 2005 at 5:37 AM (PDT)

Actually maybe it does need to do some scaling, if it’s bring in photos from the camera. I wonder if the new device does this.

It should be compatible with all iPod photo models, because they’re all the same.

Posted by bluejacket in London on February 24, 2005 at 5:52 AM (PDT)

If you can’t transfer to the iPod then show on a tv immediately, then I see this as very gimmick-y.

Something people will shell out $30 for to use once.

I agree with SkR.  If you just want to see the pics on a tiny screen, why not just use the camera’s LCD?

Posted by mgbrown66 in USA on February 24, 2005 at 6:05 AM (PDT)

Gimmick?  Guys, the PRIMARY purpose of this is to offload images from a full camera.

Posted by Daniel W in Seattle on February 24, 2005 at 6:35 AM (PDT)

Daniel W - agreed. Currently I have a 8mp camera with a 512mb CF card.. if I’m on a long trip, I’d either have to bring a laptop or nearest I-cafe to unload the camera.  I thought about getting a 4 or 6 GB microdrive for it and be done with it, but this is a much cheaper option..cause my 40gb 4G is always with me wink

Posted by factor in Canada on February 24, 2005 at 7:04 AM (PDT)

Since the launch of the iPod photo, we’ve had any number of complaints that you can’t “dump and view” photos from a camera/memory card for viewing on the iPp. “What use is this to photographers ?” was the oft heard refrain.

The second Apple gives us the ability to do just that and everyone is moaning that you can’t view these immediately on a TV. How many photographers, now having the ability to dump their photos to iPp *and* now to view them on their iPods are going to make a desperate dash for the nearest TV ?!

There really is no pleasing some people….

Posted by Bren on February 24, 2005 at 7:10 AM (PDT)

Bren: i’m not moaning, i’m just writing my opinion.
i have to admit that i didn’t see the fact that u could free your full cam with that connector. for long trips this could really be useful ^^

Posted by [SkR] on February 24, 2005 at 7:18 AM (PDT)

Gimmick? Guys, the PRIMARY purpose of this is to offload images from a full camera.

DW I can’t agree more with you! Offloading would be the only reason for buying iPod Camera Connector. My camera has a tv/out, does slideshows, and the screen is slightly smaller than the Ipod’s.

Posted by iYuc in Yucatan on February 24, 2005 at 7:22 AM (PDT)

One can only hope that this VERY useful device works with 3G iPods.

Posted by stark23x on February 24, 2005 at 7:52 AM (PDT)

I’m wondering if the iPod Camera Connector will work on the 4G “basic” iPod also…they always talk about the possibility to use it with the previous iPod Photo, but not the “classic 4G” one…If its not the case, it will be a real shame from Apple…by the way, I never understood why they didn’t made such an accessory before, rather than let the customer use an expensive, bulky, slow belkin device for such a basic task as downloading pictures to a portable hard drive??? I bet that Apple’s marketing will only allow the iPods Photo to be compatible with the Camera Connector, although I think that technically speaking, there is no difference in the connection system of a normal iPod and the one of an iPod Photo… Pleaaaasse Apple, make it compatible with all 3G & 4G ipods!!!

Posted by Skittou Bar on February 24, 2005 at 8:39 AM (PDT)

Looking at my 3G, with the 02-22-2005 Update, there is an “Import Photos” option under the Extras.

This bodes well for us 3Gers. wink

(Sadly for me, I have a Sony camera and laptop, so this is pretty useless - it’s easier for me ot just yoink the files directly onto my laptop using the internal stick reader, and not the iPod.  Still, the tech geek in me is happy to see this.)

Posted by Geoffrey in Valhalla, NY on February 24, 2005 at 9:04 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 3 pages  1 2 3 >