Apple exec provides iPod Camera Connector details [updated] | iLounge News

Apple exec provides iPod Camera Connector details [updated]

pic In addition to its revamped iPod photo lineup, Apple today also announced the Camera Connector accessory, which gives users the ability to import photos directly from their digital camera for instant viewing and slide show playback on the devices. Apple did not give any further information or image of the iPod add-on except to say that it will ship in late March for $29.

Greg Joswiak, vice president of hardware marketing at Apple, revealed further details of the Camera Connector in an interview with CNET News.com. He said that it is a small white plastic device that is similar to a small docking station with a cable for connecting to the iPod and a USB port for connecting to a camera. Joswiak noted that pictures loaded onto an iPod photo directly from the Camera Connector will be able to be viewed immediately on the device. However, in order for the photos to be shown on a TV, the iPod Photo will need to be connected to a computer first.

Update: At an Apple press event in Japan to introduce the new iPod models, a presentation slide revealed what the new iPod Camera Connector will look like (see above-right).

« IDC estimates large iPod shuffle profit margin

iPod mini 6GB Box Opening Photo Gallery »

Comments

Battery life was a huge issue for the Belkin reader, and I don’t see why it would be any different for the Apple camera connector—the constant use of the hard drive will kill the battery faster than you can say ipod.

Posted by NeoteriX in Houston, TX or Westchester County, NY on February 24, 2005 at 10:01 AM (PDT)

Does anyone know which digital cameras will be able to utilise this new function?  Call me pessimistic, but I would guess that only certain cameras would be compatible - maybe just pictbridge enabled cameras for example?  I have a sony cybershot, so fingers crossed!  I was thinking about buying an extra memory card for my camera, but it’s a far better option to be able to upload and delete onto the iPod.  Also, a great way to cost justify the extra outlay on the iPod photo!  When I went on line, I had only planned to buy the iPod mini, then I thought only a little more to buy the new 6GB version, the just a bit more buys a standard iPod, then a little bit more adds in the photo function with 30GB.  In the end I went for the 60GB iPod photo!  It’s my first iPod, so can’t wait to get it now - it’s gonna take 5 days tho :-(

Posted by phlash in UK on February 26, 2005 at 1:16 AM (PDT)

I sure hope it supports USB 2.0 (for cameras that support it)

That will reduce the amount of time it takes to transfer and therefore reducing precious battery consumption on both the camera and the iPod.

Would also be good if a card reader (with USB 2 support) can be attached instead of a camera, much like the other similar accessory that’s currently available.

However I doubt any of these (IMO essential) features will be present, given Apple’s reputation.

Posted by charlie12 on February 26, 2005 at 5:32 AM (PDT)

I’m going to buy a Olympus digital camera with xD Picture Card.. do you all think iPod cammera connector will work with it?

Posted by narkerbyt on February 27, 2005 at 9:04 PM (PDT)

phlash – Macs support every (or nearly every) digital camer known to man without the need for extra drivers, so I imagine that the same would be true for this new camer adapter. We will have to see whether Apple puts out an official list when the device starts being sold.

Posted by Chris VandeVenter in Bismarck, ND on February 27, 2005 at 9:04 PM (PDT)

Well, i have a 40 gig 4g iPod and if the camera connector will don’t work on it, it will be a real shame for Apple!! I have brought it only 6 months ago and it’s yet outdated and incompatibile with a so useful stuff!! This “stupid” gadget should be bundled together with the iPod since 3G models! There is an “import photo” function on the menu that sonunds like a bitter joke for every 4G user!
Come on Apple, dear Joswiak don’t kick the ### of your customers, we can’t buy a new ipod every 6 months!
A Prayer for 4G iPodloungers…..

Posted by fabius on February 28, 2005 at 12:18 AM (PDT)

To quote Greg Joswiak in the interview: “It will work with both the new iPod Photos and with earlier photo player models”.  nOte the use of the word “photo”.

However, on the Apple website iPod page (NOT photo), one feature is listed as “Store photos (with accessory)”.

Also: “The Photo Import option is available on iPod software 2.1 and later, which includes iPod (Dock Connector) and iPod (Click Wheel) models. It does not include iPod mini.”

So, I guess we will have to wait and see, but it will definitely be a poor show if 3G’s cant do it.

Posted by tecstar on February 28, 2005 at 1:48 AM (PDT)

so does this mean that the old connecters are going to lose support? cuase I don’t want to use my ipod battery and my cameras, which is what it looks like its going to have to. the first belkin did a better job!

Posted by tumblingwall in u.s. on February 28, 2005 at 4:40 AM (PDT)

You know that thing looks like an ordenary Pocket Dock for USB! I’m already wondering if that’s indeed the case. If so how would one import the Files into the iPod…

Via Pictbridge maybe?! I could see this working in the same vein as the Belkin thingy. on the 3G BTW: what were the supported Formats for the Belkin again? I’m willing to bet the Fuji/Olympus xDCard was not one of ´em though. :(

For ca. €30.00(EUR) or so I think I would inquire my local Apple Store about this ‘Pocket Dock’ to see if it’s 3G compatible first.

If it is I bet this so would tick off Belkin I mean why spend the €124.90(EUR), on a bulky Belkin that only supports the one or two big Format Cards, when I could spend ca. €30.00(EUR), for a Pocket Dock that would Talk directly to the Camera. Irregardless of it’s Card Format…

Yeah I think Apple would have a Market for this! I for one would use it [I]providing of couse Apple allows me a 3G Owner to use it!

Posted by Ichijoe in Deutschland on February 28, 2005 at 5:32 AM (PDT)

does anyone know if the software update will help do the same thing with the belkin camera link or is just for the one that apple will sell?

Posted by baby on February 28, 2005 at 8:17 AM (PDT)

I am using a camera intensively during certain trips for photo work and somedays end up with 1 gigabyte of photos at the end of the day, which so far I stored on a Nixvue device. Now I would love to use an iPod for this as I could get rid of one device that I have to take along during the trip.

Therefore I do not mind missing the ability to watch the photos on a tv after transfering them to the iPod.

BUT I do have another question / potential problem: the transfer speed. If the transfer device always connects to the USB port or external port of the camera it can’t be faster than the camera port, which in many cases is dead slow (example: Minolta Dimage7), as there are numerous USB1 ports out there. With 1 GB of data the download will take ages eating away battery of the iPod.

It would be MUCH faster (Firewire-speed?) if the transfer-device would include a small card-reader that can actually make use of the max-speed of the memory cards which is way higher than that of the external ports of cameras.

Posted by stagestar in Germany on February 28, 2005 at 9:03 AM (PDT)

Maybe I’m missing something here, but does this connector allow you to take photos and directly write them to an iPod, or is it just a means of offloading pics from your camera/camera’s memory card?

Posted by norge on March 1, 2005 at 8:20 AM (PDT)

just from the memory card norge…

Posted by apple juice in USA on March 1, 2005 at 8:52 AM (PDT)

This article speaks to some of my concerns about jumping in and getting an iPod Photo.

Will the iPod Photo w/ new connector support RAW files—not necessarily to look at them, but just for temporary storage and have some way to verify succesful transfer (before I reformat/recycle my CF cards)?  Can I even transfer the files back to my PC since it doesn’t allow it for audio files??  Or has this changed recently?

I guess I’ll just have to wait and see…

Posted by LightOfTheWorld in New York City on March 17, 2005 at 5:27 PM (PDT)

I don’t understand why they can’t be watched on a tv first. i dont really care that much. but i would like the photos to be stored on the ipod in full resolution, original quality. so this kinda concerns me (it’d be a hassle to put them from cam to ipod, than have to go from cam to pc to get full resolution then back to ipod. or does something happen during the sync when you take the new photos from the ipod?

Posted by Eli Stoughton on March 21, 2005 at 7:55 PM (PDT)

My camera connector shipped out yesterday.  It shipped from CA and I am in MA, so I won’t get it until the middle of next week.  I am surprised that there aren’t any reviews out for it yet.

I think the reason you have to dock before viewing on a tv is that the iPod doesn’t have the processor power to convert the image.  I am surpised it can even convert the jpeg to view on the ipod screen.  I think the intended use is to free up your memory card during a long trip.

Posted by JohnnyRoaster in Boston, MA on March 31, 2005 at 7:37 AM (PDT)

Well, there are a few user reports on it over on dpreview.com’s forums now.  And it sounds like the camera connector is not much better than the Belkin alternatives, except it’s much smaller, allows immediate viewing of pics on the iPod Photo’s display and doesn’t need its own battery to operate.

The downside is you cannot use an unpowered card reader, and it actually seems to be even a bit *slower* than the Belkin devices(!) at transfers w/ figures hovering around ~400KB/sec. :-(  Battery drain is probably similar to using Belkin devices.

Well, it does also let you keep shooting while you’re transfering, but one wonders how useful that’s gonna be in practice, especially given the battery drain.

So given that, it sounds to me like this whole iPod Photo gimmick is simply that:  just a very poorly executed, cheap gimmick from Apple.

It’s hard to fathom why the connector doesn’t use USB 2.0 for adequately good transfer rates when most new cameras are now providing USB 2.0 output.

And if the whole point is merely to offload photos, which is all I really need, why not make it work for older non-photo iPods too??

Basically, they are just setting their customers up for disappointment w/ this whole photo shpiel.

Posted by LightOfTheWorld in New York City on April 1, 2005 at 11:55 AM (PDT)

My bad.  Just came across the review here:

The reviewer thinks it uses USB 2.0, but the image processing (for on-device display) and whatever transfer verifications are probably causing much of the slowdown.  Not sure if I buy that since even RAW files, which won’t get converted, are transfered at no faster than ~400KB/sec.  I guess it’s possible that transfer verifications can easily slow things down by 2-3x, but that still doesn’t explain where all the USB 2.0 transfer speed went.

Kinda frustrating for this serious amateur photog… hmmm

Posted by LightOfTheWorld in New York City on April 1, 2005 at 12:37 PM (PDT)

tthe belkin media reader works really well and the pics are immediately viewable as long as you have the new ipod software update

Posted by jrlovo on April 5, 2005 at 6:23 AM (PDT)

Just got the the camera connector and it works as advertised with my cannon g6, albeit slowly on a USB 1.0 connection.  I shoot mainly raw files so its a great way to dump a days worth of shooting and still just use a 512mb memory card.  Beats paying for more memory cards.

Posted by p8r1ck in Los Angeles on April 5, 2005 at 9:35 AM (PDT)

Page 2 of 3 pages  <  1 2 3 >