Apple eyes early 2005 Japanese iTMS opening | iLounge News

Apple eyes early 2005 Japanese iTMS opening

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Wednesday, November 17, 2004
News Categories: iTunes

Apple plans to open a Japanese version of its iTunes Music Store by March 2005, the Nihon Keizai newspaper reported on Thursday. The newspaper said that Apple is planning to offer more than 100,000 mostly Japanese tracks. The iTunes Music Store is currently available in the US and 12 European countries. A Canadian store is expected to open before the end of the month.

« Windows: XPlay Photo Browser for iPod photo debuts

New at iTMS: Eminem, Jack Johnson, Pearl Jam, A Perfect Circle »

Comments

There are only 13 days left in November…  This has been the longest darned month ever!!  I’m all out of prepaid gift cards (for the US store), have perfectly zeroed out my account (yup, used every single penny!), and am ready to convert when the Canadian store finally opens…

I will be mildly annoyed if they put this off until the last possible day (November 30, also a Tuesday, and hence a prime day for Apple’s launch… <sigh>)...  Annoyance won’t last long, but annoyed nonetheless.

Posted by Blur in Toronto, ON on November 17, 2004 at 6:25 PM (PDT)

Where’s Singapore? How can Apple leave out Singapore?! Apple has to have firmhold in Singapore before that “not so” CREATIVE company takes over the mp3 scene.

Posted by Junwei on November 17, 2004 at 8:59 PM (PDT)

Australia!  That’s what they should be focusing on!  Come down under!

Posted by Snowy in Australia on November 17, 2004 at 9:37 PM (PDT)

I think Apple likes it on top instead wink

Posted by Jon in Seattle, WA on November 17, 2004 at 11:14 PM (PDT)

Posted by croooow in Fairfax, VA on November 18, 2004 at 7:53 AM (PDT)

“So, why can’t Apple just have a Global ITMS? why does a new one need to be created for each country/area?”

Because each country has its own specific set of rules and regulations that must be addressed.

Posted by Quoth_the_Raven in Herndon, VA on November 18, 2004 at 8:30 AM (PDT)

Can perfectly understand why they would want to focus on Japan as opposed to OZ. 120m people for a start and the worlds second largest music market seem to be a better option than 20m aussies.
Japan is also Apple’s No2 market in the world, so it all makes sense.

I’m sure they’d have been doing it sooner had it not been for the Japanese record companies objecting to Apples pricing.

A typical CD costs ¥2500 or about US$25. Putting downloads at ¥99 or 99c means people don’t have to be ripped off anymore when buying a Japanese CD.

I happen to be British and living in Japan, so either way i’m going to be ripped off in any scenario. Think I should just move to the states…would be a lot easier

Posted by iPoodle on November 18, 2004 at 6:45 PM (PDT)

I just hope we can access the Japanese tracks, and can use standard american characters.

Posted by Earl in New York on November 22, 2004 at 6:41 AM (PDT)

I’m a Japanese-American.

I want “Global” iTunes, where I can access Japanese songs and US ones, with a choice of language views(just like MSN pages).

At this moment, I’m afraid to mess my system up if I download both US & JP versions of iTunes.

Posted by Connie on January 1, 2005 at 6:57 PM (PDT)