Apple eyes global increase in iPod market share
During Apple’s second quarter conference call with analysts and press Wednesday, company executives said that Apple is actively going after the international digital music market, revealing that the iPod could be selling better in several European and Asian countries. Apple chief operating officer Tim Cook said that while the iPod is the top portable audio player in the U.S. with a staggering 78% share—and also leads in the U.K. (40%), Japan (54%), Canada (45%) and Australia (58%)—countries such as Italy, China, Korea, and those in Eastern Europe are seen as market opportunities for increasing iPod sales.
Cook said that Apple plans to use local advertising and more distribution points to help increase sales. The Apple executive said that using this strategy, the iPod’s market share in Germany has improved by 10% to 21% since December 2005, and in France by 4% to 11%.
Also during the conference call, an analyst asked about the proposed French law that could sever the exclusive tie between the iPod and iTunes Music Store. Cook stated: “We believe that the French implementation of the EU Copyright Directive will result in state-sponsored piracy… We don’t think the proposed French legislation will be good for anyone.”
Cook also noted that there are now over 35,000 storefronts across the world selling the iPod. He said that Apple is now at around maximum capacity for resellers in the United States, so Japan, Asia, Latin America and Canada are now targets for new channel partners to distribute the iPod.
- Apple releases iOS 8.3 beta 4
- FREAK security flaws still present in popular iOS apps
- Device able to access iOS 8.1 through brute-force attack
- Microsoft to bring Cortana to iOS
- Apple releases iOS 8.3 beta 3 to developers (Update: iOS 8.3 Public Beta also released)
- Apple releases iOS 8.2
- Apple retail stores to have very limited Apple Watch stock
- Apple quietly acquiring companies to improve cloud services?
- Apple planning to release three iPhone models this year?
- Report reveals more details on Apple’s upcoming music service
- Apple adds CNNgo channel to Apple TV
- Apple acquires database company FoundationDB
- Apple releases iOS 8.3 beta 4
- Apple adds Tastemade, TED, Young Hollywood channels to Apple TV
- Source: Italian prosecutors wrap up Apple tax probe
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, sign up now
- RooCase Exec Tough for iPhone 6 Plus
- Pronto Smart Remote System
- iWalk Extreme Spartan
- EnerPlex Surfr for iPhone 6
- IK Multimedia iRig 2 Guitar Interface
- PowerSkin Pop’n 3 for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Coogobox Symphony Dock for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- PowerSkin Spare for iPhone 6
- Chil Attraction Jacket for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- iBattz Refuel Invictus for iPhone 6
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?