Apple faces challenges bringing movie rentals to Europe
Apple will face several challenges in bringing its iTunes Movie Rentals service to the European market, according to a new report. During his keynote address last week, Apple CEO Steve Jobs said that he was “dying” to expand the service internationally, and added that it would happen later this year. The International Herald Tribune reports that in order to make that happen, the company will need to overcome “legal and regulatory hurdles, copyright challenges, scheduling conflicts and technological issues.” “The biggest challenge that we have is just the structure of the market,” said Kevin Obi, senior vice president for digital assets at NBC Universal in London. Earlier this month, the European Commission warned that significant barriers face those attempting to develop digital media distribution in its 27 member countries. “Europe’s content sector is suffering under its regulatory fragmentation, under its lack of clear, consumer-friendly rules for accessing copyright-protected online content, and serious disagreements between stakeholders about fundamental issues” like copying of digital works, said Viviane Reding, the EU commissioner who oversees media, in a statement. Reding said that she would propose ways to make it easier to sell content online by midyear.
Other challenges facing Apple include the system of staggered release schedules for films both in theaters and on DVD, which often vary from country to country. “Content distribution in Europe is very tricky,” said Carl Gressum, a senior analyst in London with Ovum, a telecommunications and media consultancy. “It’s very hard to do pan-European deals.” In addition, some politicians worry that making it easier to sell movies across the European market might also widen the door for Hollywood films, which is a problem in smaller countries that fear it could cause a decline in their own cultural industries. Despite the challenges, the article suggests, Apple may be more familiar with these challenges than most of its competitors, due to its negotiations with the European Commission over iTunes pricing, which led to Apple lowering its iTunes Store music prices in the UK to match those across the rest of the continent.
- Apple Music service to include social pages for artists
- Apple streaming music service to provide limited free listening options
- OpenTV sues Apple for alleged patent infringement
- Report: Apple still missing key music streaming deals in time for WWDC debut
- Apple vying for artist exclusives for streaming music service; family plan?
- Apple releases iTunes 12.1.2 with OS X Photos app support
- Report: iOS 9 to feature Force Touch support, updated keyboard
- Microsoft confirms Cortana coming to iOS this year
- Apple creates Chief Design Officer role for Jony Ive
- Report: iOS 9 will bring new security features, improve legacy device support
- Report: Apple’s push for local content may delay Apple’s TV service
- Adobe dropping Photoshop Touch in favor of more focused apps
- Report: Dual app viewing, multiple logins coming to iPad
- Transit coming to Apple Maps in iOS 9?
- Apple and IBM expand MobileFirst apps to Apple Watch
- Report: Pebble facing financial struggles?
- Apple iPhone Lightning Dock
- Witti Notti and Dotti
- PhoneSuit Elite 6 and Elite 6 Pro Battery Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Wren V5US Speaker
- Skech Base for iPad Air 2
- Anova Culinary Precision Cooker
- Phiaton MS 100 BA Earphones
- Olloclip Ollocase for iPhone 6
- AKG Y50 On-Ear Headphones
- Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 SonicPro Over-Ear Headphones
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Is there a point to having both iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Photo Stream enabled?
- Why can’t I set a longer passcode timeout on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?