Apple Fall product poll ends, iPhone app category poll begins | iLounge News

Apple Fall product poll ends, iPhone app category poll begins

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Friday, August 15, 2008
News Categories: Site News

With over 3,300 votes from iLounge readers, our latest iLounge poll — “Which one possible Fall 2008 Apple product has the best chance of winning your dollars?” — has ended. Readers were given a variety of options, including current-styled but upgraded iPods, a dramatically different iPod or iPhone, a new Mac, current offerings, or not buying anything.

A large number of our readers (29%) said they would only buy an iPod or iPhone if Apple released a dramatically different version in time for the holidays, followed closely by readers who were most interested in purchasing a new Mac (25%). 19% of readers said they would consider buying a current-styled iPod if all Apple changed was the storage capacity, while 3% wanted to see changes in battery life, and only 2% said they would buy a current-styled iPod is all Apple changed was the color scheme or other cosmetics. Finally, 17% of readers said they were satisfied with Apple’s current offerings but weren’t planning on buying anything, and only 5% said they were satisfied with the current options and were planning to make a purchase.

The new poll focuses on the iPhone and iPod touch App Store. We’d like to know: Which category of applications do you feel is most important? Are you most concerned with entertainment and games? Business or productivity apps? Lifestyle/social networking? Photography or other creative apps? Perhaps news and reference apps, travel and other location-aware apps, or music apps? Or do you not own an iPhone or iPod touch? Our latest poll, “Which category of iPhone applications do you consider to be the most important?” lets you answer that question. As always, the iLounge Poll is on the left hand column of the main iLounge.com home page. Cast your vote today!

« Boston Acoustics debuts iDS2 all-in-one speaker

Latest edition of iPodweek newsletter coming later today »

Comments

I am sure I am in the minority here but I am so ready for an iPod Classic BIGGER than the 160GB. 36,000 plus songs to have with me everywhere is simply not enough. I think there will always be a market, maybe smaller for huge capacity pods but many use them in hotels, travel, second homes or office or art spaces and not for walking, jogging or hip hopping!

Posted by Mazzy on August 15, 2008 at 3:01 PM (PDT)

No, you are not in a minority (if you count me), I have approaching 5000 CD’s, CD Singles and Vinyl Albums, and can no way fit all of that on an iPod Classic as it is now. That’s unless I use a really low bit-rate. I also have a large collection of videos which came with singles, these never get put on my ipod.

Posted by Pastor Grimes on August 16, 2008 at 4:02 AM (PDT)

Considereing all of the coverage given to the problems that people are having with the iPhone 3G and it’s craptastic phone reception it would have been much more approrpiate to do a survey related to that.

Instead, we get a lame poll about the types of applications we like.

BOO iLounge…HOORAY Beer!

Posted by DaveG on August 16, 2008 at 7:45 AM (PDT)

Dave, no need to point fingers at iLounge.  A poll about reception won’t change or improve it.

Posted by AJ on August 16, 2008 at 8:52 AM (PDT)

No, but a poll might help shed some light on exactly how many people are experiencing this problem.  AT&T;says it’s 2-3% of iPhone 3G users.  They haven’t really given me much reason to believe them.

Posted by DaveG on August 16, 2008 at 11:57 AM (PDT)

The only problem with doing an Internet poll on iLounge, is that it’s very difficult to have confidence in the results. Drawing conclusions from the run-of-the-mill non-scientific (Internet) poll is dangerous, unless of course you are just seeking a feel good (or feel bad, for that matter) poll… FWIW.

Posted by chashulme in Southern California on August 16, 2008 at 1:18 PM (PDT)

Ok, well just out of curiosity what defines a ‘reception problem’?  I (and several others that I know) usually have one bar yet I haven’t had a dropped call and I have 3G almost anywhere I go.  That would be easily solvable in the next software update, and is more a problem with the sensitivity of the bars rather than the network.

I also agree with the above poster, in that an internet poll open to anybody, some of whom may not even own an iPhone, is not very reliable in its results.

Posted by AJ on August 16, 2008 at 2:18 PM (PDT)

@AJ:

You asked what defines a “reception problem”.  How about sitting on my couch at home on a call with the phone held in my left hand…no problem.  Switching the phone to my other hand and the other side of my body?  Drop the call.

Yesterday I reviewed my call history from my first bill with AT&T;.  It covered one week’s worth of calls (from 7/20-7/28), which used 217 total minutes.  Of those 217 minutes 85 were related to dropped calls (either the initial call that dropped or a subsequent “recall”.)  That’s almost 40%!!!

And no, I’m not in the sticks somewhere.  I work in Times Square and I live on the NJ side of the Hudson River (I walk out of my door and there’s 105th St. in Manhattan.)  According to AT&T;‘s coverage maps my entire town and all surrounding towns…all the way to the water…are in “best” voice/Edge coverage and full 3G.

That is what I define as a “reception problem”.

Posted by Dave G on August 18, 2008 at 6:11 AM (PDT)

I have had a lot of problems with my iPod classic 160 since I got it.

It is the first time the main iPods give a step back on a new model: constantly crashes, has problems reading lyrics, doesn’t show full-screen album art, doesn’t let me turn off the clock, irresponsive click-wheel, works in inconvenient ways when playing podcasts and playlists, is not compatible with 80% of my accesories, and the list goes on.

Even the OS is a numbed down version of the nano, not showing the Album cover on the main menu, when you place over the “Now playing” button.

Will I buy the new iPod when it comes out? Only if its a totally redesigned one, both in the firmware and click wheel responsiveness. Right now, the 80Gb 5.5 Gen. iPod keeps being the best iPod ever (for me).

Too bad I need the 160Gb space, and I sold the 5.5Gen one to buy this one.

Posted by Arturo Lugo on August 18, 2008 at 3:51 PM (PDT)