Apple files patent for wireless iTunes purchases | iLounge News

Apple files patent for wireless iTunes purchases

A recently published patent application from Apple reveals a proposed method of buying a song, ring tone or music video over a wireless network. The application, which was posted this week on the website of the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, describes an invention that would allow cell phone users to connect to an online store like iTunes and mark a song or video to be downloaded later to a computer. CNET News.com reports: “According to the application, the invention would allow cell phone or wireless-PDA users to essentially bookmark a song or video on an online music store. Then, when they return to their PC, they could download it over a fast network. If bandwidth permits, they might be able to download the song or file directly to their phone.”

« Apple patent covers audio navigation for iPod

Klipsch iGroove goes black »

Comments

Wow! Apple must have spent billions in research $$$ to develop that concept. Its not like its something that would have emerged sooner or later as a natural evolution of electronic music purchase.

It SO good that we have a patent system to protect those huge research investments. Without it we would probably still live in caves…

Posted by Jowls on May 5, 2006 at 12:06 AM (CDT)

Um.. that or they dont want someone else to patent it and sue them, like what happened with creative.

Posted by Michael on May 5, 2006 at 2:21 AM (CDT)

With a bit of luck, the patent office will reject this patent as an unpatentable process. At some point they’ve got to stop issuing patents for common sense. I mean they issued a patent for how to comb hair to cover a bald spot (4,022,227)!

Posted by gilwell on May 5, 2006 at 3:07 AM (CDT)

Looks to me like the new iPod will be WiFi enabled so you can order tunes/video direct from you iPod. And they did get involved with acquiring new wireless technology a few months back.
Possibly this would also give the ability to stream audio from ipod to Airport Express like device. Niiiiiiice.
Imagine a 16Gb Nano with a slightly bigger screen and WiFi connection.
I think I’ll go and towel myself off…

Posted by rachel on May 5, 2006 at 5:41 AM (CDT)

It’s so much fun to read posts from those that have no idea whatsoever about the patent process or the need to patent in the our extremely litigious society.

It’s called “covering your butt”.  And, until the laws change, this is how it’s gotta be.

Posted by The Raven on May 5, 2006 at 8:04 AM (CDT)

I really hope this isn’t just for phones and PDAs. I’d really like to see a WiFi-enabled iPod in the near future, or at least an accessory for the iPod which connects via the dock connector and gives you WiFi access to the iTunes Music Store.

Posted by JSchwage on May 5, 2006 at 9:06 AM (CDT)

With all the rumors of WiFiPods and the like, I think this is the first time I’ve heard tell of NOT using the connection to download straight to the device.

I don’t know if direct downloading is going to happen… If it does, it will require Apple to allow customers to either A) copy the downloaded track from their device to their computer for archival, or B) have their iTunes automatically download the tracks upon the next suitable connection is made to the iTMS.

But I can’t tell you how many times I’ve written pulled wads of paper out of my pockets at the end of the day with artist names, album titles, or tracks that I want to check out. A WifiPod would streamlin this process considerably for me.

Posted by B.Iain on May 5, 2006 at 10:11 AM (CDT)

I can already download a song from the Sprint Music Store to my cellphone.  When I get home, and can download another file for playing on my PC. Of course the songs are $2.50 each. D’oh!

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on May 5, 2006 at 6:39 PM (CDT)

You are all in trouble (or soon will be) as I have registered a patent for replying to posts in iLounge. If you all don’t pay me my royalties, I will sue! You have to love modern society and it’s propensity for litigation.

Posted by Victor on May 6, 2006 at 4:32 PM (CDT)