Apple files suit against Creative Technology | iLounge News

Apple files suit against Creative Technology

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Thursday, May 18, 2006
News Categories: Apple

Following Creative Technology’s announcement on Monday that it is suing Apple for patent infringement, Bloomberg News is reporting that the iPod maker also filed suit against Creative the same day. Apple claims that Creative infringes on four digital music player patents it owns. The suit was filed in a Wisconsin District Court. As reported earlier this week, Creative is suing Apple, alleging that the iPod’s interface is infringing on the company’s “Zen Patent.” It is has also filed a complaint with the U.S. International Trade Commission seeking an order to block imports of the iPod from China.

« Mix: iPod prices, ABC shows, Apple stores, iPod ban

Hip-Hop stations partner with Apple »

Comments

Where are all the people complaining about how Apple is an evil company that protects it’s patents now?

Posted by Devil's Advocate on May 18, 2006 at 4:45 PM (PDT)

If Creative and its ever-######## CEO sue Apple, it’s almost expected that Apple will file back…....(look at the ZVM interface for chrissakes…)

Posted by Huskerz85 on May 18, 2006 at 5:02 PM (PDT)

A round of applause for Mr. Steve Jobs everybody.

Posted by Bonk on May 18, 2006 at 5:02 PM (PDT)

Well, my guess the only reason apple is doing this would be, well if creative wants it that way, then ok, we can play that game too.

Posted by zerock on May 18, 2006 at 5:11 PM (PDT)

I want to know why Apple filed in Wisconsin.  Creative’s US operations aren’t headquartered there; they’re in Milpitas, near Cupertino (same federal district).

We’ll see who caves first.

Posted by LawLaw Land on May 18, 2006 at 5:18 PM (PDT)

hahaa…  When will Sim Wong Hoo learn?

Posted by josh on May 18, 2006 at 5:30 PM (PDT)

As I read this news, I am beginning hear pinging sounds in my mind. It’s the sound of a tombstone with Creative’s name being carved on it, a new addition to the iPod competitors graveyard.

Posted by Augustus Thoo in Malaysia on May 18, 2006 at 6:13 PM (PDT)

All this corporate catfighting. Tsk.

Countersuits are usually acts of last resort. Apple knew that Creative could very well sue over the hierarchial menu issue, so it’s obvious they had their lawyers prepare an counterattack battleplan. So they didn’t tell Creative about the so-called patent infringements simply because that would lessen the shock value.

If there’s merit to Apple’s lawsuit, I’m guessing that they’re going to seek to barter an agreement (“You drop your suit, we drop ours…”).

So much for Creative’s hoped-for windfall. Unless of course Apple’s suit isn’t worth the paper it’s printed on.

Posted by flatline response on May 18, 2006 at 7:55 PM (PDT)

creative will win. Apple’s boss is Steve Jobs. Sim Wong Hoo is creatives therefore since sim Wong hoo has a cool name and is asian he wins. smile plus I think apple could use a losing.

Posted by xsst4 on May 18, 2006 at 8:24 PM (PDT)

i purchased a 2gb ipod anddd when I try to down load music it tells me files can not be found. am i missing something like some sort of device?

Posted by Helen Davis on May 18, 2006 at 9:21 PM (PDT)

One question to xsst4…Are you stupid?  Your posting is the most ignorant garbage I have read in a while. Your idiotic attempt to justify Sim Wong Hoo’s action because of his race and “cool name” is downright pathetic.  I’m not saying what he’s doing is right or wrong and I could care less if Apple wins or loses…that could be the least of my problem with your posting.  I’m Asian I what you did was a complete embarrassment.  Keep an opinion like that to yourself. It tarnishes a great website like iLounge and users with comments that actually have some sense. Thanks.

Posted by Steve on May 18, 2006 at 11:06 PM (PDT)

Hhahahah, well it goes to show you one thing, asian companies are greedy little nerds who will stop at nothing (even suing a company because it has a superior product) just because they are desperate, and jealous. Our American Apple Computer didn’t even threaten to SUE Creative until Creative Sim Wong Hoo opened his Big stupid mouth. Apple had no choice but to sue because Creative is like the little red headed stepchild that gets beat up at school everyday. Creatives products suck, and Apple will enforce its patents to hammer the nails in Creatives’ Coffin.

Posted by slimpickin on May 18, 2006 at 11:09 PM (PDT)

How sad, to be born without a sense of humor.

Posted by Joshdude in Long Beach, CA on May 19, 2006 at 1:14 AM (PDT)

ahhh…life goes on…
back to my fm radio…
got more variety in there…
:b

Posted by iJay on May 19, 2006 at 1:55 AM (PDT)

One question to Steve. Are YOU stupid? xsst4 was just being funny, that is obvious to the rest of us.

Posted by Steveisstupid on May 19, 2006 at 3:19 AM (PDT)

xsst4 is the stupid one. You think creative will win just because Sim Wong Hoo has a cool name and is asian? That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

Posted by joe on May 19, 2006 at 4:33 AM (PDT)

Apple’s heirarchial menu structure has been on portables way before creatives. I should know I owned a Apple duo portable and remeber many times going to the Apple menu, having a drop down heirarchial menu and playing certain songs and chimes that I had stored in nested folders. So, nested folders on portable music generating machines have been around long before creatives jukebox…well at least by a few years…and I’m pretty sure the apple menu nesting folders were around since at least 1997. And if you tell me the duo wasn’t a portable music player, heck it wasn’t… I used to bring it to class all the time and listen to tunes…i just couldn’t put it in my pocket.

Posted by Morty Salt on May 19, 2006 at 4:44 AM (PDT)

Does anyone know if there is an ipod like interface for the newton? It would be great if Apple could just walk into the courtroom with a 10 year old newton, plug in some headphones into it and show a heirachial menu on there with a couple nested folders with a few tiny samples of midi or something doesn’t have to be mp3, since they aren’t claiming that just that they invented that a users music collection be inside some nested heirarchial menus.

Posted by Viktor Burneg on May 19, 2006 at 4:52 AM (PDT)

I’m no expert on these things, but as far as I’m concerned it’s whoever got the patent first, not who used the system first, the menu system described has been used long before mp3 players, it’s the only way you can sensibly organise things. You have an alphabetical list, and within that list, you have sub-lists. I’m thinking the court will realise this and wil invalidate the patent and make it ‘open’ or whatever…

It is pretty sad that this is what the world has come to this days, it makes me die a little inside

Posted by silver_haze20 on May 19, 2006 at 5:34 AM (PDT)

ha ha ha ha ha !

Posted by psxp on May 19, 2006 at 5:42 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >