Apple forces removal of future iPod ‘spy shot’ | iLounge News

Apple forces removal of future iPod ‘spy shot’

Last night, the legal department at Apple contacted several web sites, including 9to5mac and Gizmodo, to request removal of blurry “spy shots” purportedly showing a future iPod model. As a hybrid of the current fifth-generation iPod and second-generation iPod nano models, the new iPod features a colored metallic casing and a screen similar in size to a full-sized iPod, with a nano-sized Click Wheel underneath. Tapered edges show a thinness comparable to current nanos, suggesting that the device is a flash-based video player that falls in-between the current nano and 5G iPod in performance.

The images, which originated on 9to5mac.com, showed a flower-style grouping of new iPods, in wine red, light green, light blue, silver, and black colors, which the site claimed would be the new colors. Both sites have preserved artists’ renderings of the new design, more notably Gizmodo’s, which can be viewed here. Reader opinions on the design have been overwhelmingly negative.

« New next iPod Poll, prior iPhone vs. iPod results posted

Targus intros SoundUP sound enhancer »

Comments

F-to-the-ug.

Posted by alexarch in Dallas, TX on August 23, 2007 at 11:38 AM (CDT)

They looked a bit too “Zen” for me…

Posted by Eric on August 23, 2007 at 11:47 AM (CDT)

If that is truly the next iPod, I will most definitely be buying something else. Perfectly tragic to think that after a two year wait either the iPod or the Nano would be replaced by such an abomination.
Heed your customers, Apple. Look to the iPhone’s beautiful, large touchscreen for your inspiration. The era of the wheel is past.

Posted by MirandaKali in D.C. on August 23, 2007 at 11:51 AM (CDT)

I don’t belive that this is a actl. design by Apple which they consider as serious design.

I do more belive that apple had to geet these images of the markete so that the puplic don’t go on this route of imagination.

Maybe it was one idea Apple had, who knows. Maybe the LCD Idea on a Shuffle,... .

To me it looks more like a IPod image which was shrinked in Photoshop. ..... funny,.. isn’t it ....

Posted by dennis on August 23, 2007 at 12:11 PM (CDT)

PLUS,..

do u know what happen to a image if u resize the proportion of it?...

>> the round edges become thicker then the continuing straight lines and the radius is out of the center/proportion. Which we see on the edited image of the IPod…..

I wounder how many people aclt. fall for this .....

Posted by dennis on August 23, 2007 at 12:16 PM (CDT)

Please read the article before you post a comment. The article clearly states that they were forced to take the actual picture down, but made a mock-up in photoshop from scratch in order to “legally” depict the device.

Posted by beiler on August 23, 2007 at 12:41 PM (CDT)

I have to say that I have faith in the Apple design team. There is yet to be a time where they really screwed up that badly. (I know, I’m sure you can think of something. . . that cube shaped mac for instance) But honestly, there the best in the biz, I doubt this is real

Posted by Andrew on August 23, 2007 at 1:24 PM (CDT)

Sometimes alternate ideas are sent to the rumor mill to see what happens. Apple would never put out a but ugly ipod.

We will all be amazed at the next gen ipod.I am sure.

Posted by mango on August 23, 2007 at 1:57 PM (CDT)

I dunno.  I thought the first iteration of the iPod photo was kind of a brick.  When they released the 30 gig, it was much nicer, but that first 40 gig / 60 gig was not nice to hold.

Posted by alexarch in Dallas, TX on August 23, 2007 at 2:04 PM (CDT)

Actually, I don’t mind having a new iPod that is the same size as the old iPod photo brick *IF* that brick has a wide touch screen and a super big 200gb hard drive. :-)

Posted by Hatman on August 23, 2007 at 3:35 PM (CDT)

i don’t mind the shape either.  i am actually concerened with a new ipod that doesn’t require me to purchase a new set of earplugs every 2 or 3 months.  as it blows the current ones, yet again

Posted by crash613 on August 23, 2007 at 4:12 PM (CDT)

“Apple would never put out a but ugly ipod.”

Apple put out an ugly iPhone.

Despite that, I think it’d be cool if the next iPod were smaller so long as it doesn’t compromise on storage capacity and sound quality.  The rest be damned.

Posted by Camembert on August 23, 2007 at 6:07 PM (CDT)

Seriously, I’ll be SHOCKED if that turns out to be the next iPod. You can come and make fun of me all you want come September/October, but I can’t imagine that being our next iPod!

Posted by urbanslaughter on August 23, 2007 at 7:07 PM (CDT)

I second crash613’s comment. Don’t you love how the default earplugs function just fine while the ones you go out and pay (lots of) extra money for end up with one side not working? I also agree with Hatman… I’d rather have a brick that has lots of storage (and decent battery life!) than something paper thin and lacking in both of those areas. I don’t necessarily vote for the touch screen. The wheel is simple and elegant. If Wi-Fi or other features involving text input were implemented, a touch screen would be appropriate, though.  One thing I’d like to see would be some display options like customizable backgrounds or at least options to change the colors from the standard white and blue.

Posted by galagachamp on August 24, 2007 at 1:59 AM (CDT)