Apple, Fox working on iTunes movie deal?
Apple and Twentieth Century Fox are working on a deal to offer the studio’s new releases and back titles through iTunes beginning early next year, according to a New York Times report. The report, citing Pali Research analyst Richard Greenfield, states that Apple has relented and has agreed to a higher wholesale price (estimated to be around $15) for movies. The report also states that pressure from Amazon, which also sells downloads from Fox and other studios, may have effected Apple’s decision. According to the article, the studios are also hoping to create “premium” versions of DVDs that include an iPod-formatted copy of the movie. Twentieth Century Fox recently tried something similar with the DVD release of “Live Free or Die Hard,” which includes a digital copy of the movie protected with Microsoft’s Plays For Sure DRM.
- iTunes music sales down at least 13 percent worldwide
- Apple working to cut music subscription prices
- Apple formally debuts iTunes 12 after three months of betas
- U2’s Bono apologizes for automatic iTunes album download
- Apple releases another iTunes 12 beta
- Apple and U2 working on ‘secret project’ to boost music sales
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Apple reverses course on iOS calculator widgets
- Tim Cook: ‘I’m proud to be gay’
- AT&T and Verizon tracking customer web activity
- iOS updates causing Mophie Juice Pack Air compatibility problems?
- FTC launches complaint against AT&T over unlimited data throttling policies
- Apple VP Joswiak testy at Code/Mobile event
- Cook discusses Apple Pay, Watch, iPod classic at WSJD Live
- Apple TV adds Hallmark’s Feeln and A&E’s FYI channels
- Fitbit announces Charge, Charge HR + Surge health and fitness trackers
- Apple looking to expand NFC use beyond Apple Pay
- Uniq Bodycon, LifePro, and Helio for iPhone 6 + Bodycon for iPhone 6 Plus
- Trident Case Aegis, Cyclops, Kraken A.M.S. + Perseus for iPhone 6
- Incipio Stowaway Advance for iPhone 6 Plus
- Apple iPad Air 2 Smart Case
- Apple iPad mini 3
- Alpine Headphones
- Apple iPad Air 2
- Speck MightyShell for iPhone 6
- Misfit Flash Fitness + Sleep Monitor
- Just Mobile Xtand Go Z1
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.1
- An Easy Guide To Setting Up + Using Apple Pay In iOS 8.1
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About iPad Air 2 + iPad mini 3
- Mind The Gap: What’s iPad’s Role In An iPhone 6 (Plus) World?
- Editorial: Why I Switched To T-Mobile (And You Might, Too)
- The Early Guide To Apple Watch Apps
- iLounge’s Top iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus Case Picks (Fall 2014)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.0
- Multi-Editorial: On Apple’s iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Apple Watch
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0