Apple half-adds 40+ countries to iTunes Store, App Store | iLounge News

Apple half-adds 40+ countries to iTunes Store, App Store

By Jeremy Horwitz

Editor-in-Chief, iLounge
Published: Thursday, July 10, 2008
News Categories: iTunes

In an unusual half-expansion of the iTunes Store, Apple today added over 40 countries to the iTunes Store’s pull-down list of international stores, yet directed their users to English-language versions of the App Store rather than localized stores with traditional iTunes content. Many of the countries, including China, Korea, Lebanon, Russia, and Vietnam, notably lack significant English-speaking populations.

A brief skim of the App Store pages for these countries suggests that they are still in the process of being built, and may well be localized only as the iPhone and iPod touch expand in popularity overseas. The limited versions of the App Store sometimes lack for “Top Apps” and other featured content sidebars, while the absence of traditional iTunes Stores apparently reflects a lack of purchasable music, video, and other non-interactive downloadable content in those countries.

The complete list of new iTunes App Store countries is:

Argentina, Brazil, Chile, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Croatia, Czech Republic, El Salvador, Guatemala, Hong Kong, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Israel, Korea, Kuwait, Lebanon, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Mexico, Pakistan, Panama, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Qatar, Romania, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, the United Arab Emirates, Venezuela, and Vietnam.

« Advice: Avoid AT&T, O2 Stores for iPhone 3G [updated x2]

iPhone 2.0 adds screenshot mode »

Comments

I did a double take when I saw the Mexico store, in English, but with prices in Mexican Pesos, such that your average app price is listed as $50 (five bucks) $100 (ten bucks) and so on…

Posted by pacopv on July 10, 2008 at 2:36 PM (PDT)

Imagino que esto estará en proceso de prueba en Venezuela….. No hay musica…... Solo apps para ITouch e IPhone….. Aparte de que los precios estan en US$ y en Venezuela el gobierno mantiene un control de cambio que imposibilita hacer compras en monedas que no sean BsF…..

Aparte de que no consigo de ninguna forma acceso a apps para ipod 5.5

Posted by Jose on July 10, 2008 at 4:12 PM (PDT)

Can’t believe they’ve put up Argentina’s localized site! Couldn’t believe it when i saw it. At last we get into it.. Though we dont have access to music etc, i could finally set up an account withouth having to get Gift Cards from the USA.
Hope this is the first step to introduce the complete Music Store…

Posted by Martin on July 10, 2008 at 5:56 PM (PDT)

Why is ‘Mauritius’ still not in this list? :(
I didn’t need it for music but now I need it to get AppStore stuff!

Posted by Shawin on July 11, 2008 at 12:59 AM (PDT)

woow, I see the big picture. Its amazing and the last TV commercial, the song had a line “...this was when I rule the world…”

Guys, we better get us Apple stocks! I’m glad that I’m part of the moment and when I get old and gray, I will look back and one of the memories would be the moment of apples way to the top.

I’m ready to get me the 3G iPhone today at lunch wink .... R u ready¿

Posted by dennis on July 11, 2008 at 2:56 AM (PDT)

I was really excited when I saw México in the store list, but yet disappointed when I didn’t see any music in it. Since I wasn’t getting an iPhone, I was looking forward to buying music without gift cards and any other hassle.

Hope this will change.

Posted by Zaci on July 11, 2008 at 6:34 AM (PDT)

bueno apenas empieza, yo seguire con mis itunes cards hasta que no suban la musica y videos que tardaran siglos en hacerlo, me importa un pepino tengo mi id en estados unidos

Posted by alex on July 11, 2008 at 7:19 AM (PDT)

Well this is amazing… I can’t believe that still I can’t buy a damn $5 game for my iPod Classic from Argentina. Why?!?! Now they “give” us limited access to iTunes Store but just for iPod Touch and iPhone… why why why?? Is it really too complex to enable iPod users to BUY a game?!?! Is this not promoting piracy?! Damnit…

Posted by Martin on July 12, 2008 at 1:35 AM (PDT)

Not every iTunes Store uses the language of the country chosen. Rather old iTunes Stores, like the Finnish, Swedish, Norwegian, and Danish ones, have always been in English.

Posted by Up North on July 12, 2008 at 5:29 AM (PDT)

Its great that they have added a store for applications in many new countries but they lack the iPod click wheel games (as apple now calls them) and i think they should be made available soon

o and btw the last time i checked lebanon doesnt “notably lack significant English-speaking populations” on the contrary the majority here speak english and arabic and french :S… just thought you might know :D

Posted by aj on July 13, 2008 at 2:11 AM (PDT)

I guess getting AppStore to Emirates is better than nothing but we badly need a full iTunes store here.

Posted by Magnus on July 15, 2008 at 7:47 PM (PDT)

Awesome update i just clicked on the Itunes Store for the first time in ages and nearly doubled over when I saw the flags of Lebanon and Saudi Arabia. About time Apple!!! Better late than never though. it’s such an awesome move.

On another note, I beg to differ with the statement in the article that says that Lebanon lacks a significant English speaking population. Are you kidding me?! Most Lebanese are fluently Tri-Lingual! English, Arabic and even French! Just thought I’d point that out :D

Posted by Ryan on July 19, 2008 at 1:13 AM (PDT)

Well, most people here in Russia who know what’s iTunes store and why they want there are at least english readers, so language is not a problem at all. smile

Posted by Hrissan on July 20, 2008 at 6:13 AM (PDT)

Does anyone know why people in Brazil can’t buy ANY music in the iTunes Store??? Only apps are available to purchase…. When will this issue be handled??

Posted by Renato on July 30, 2008 at 5:05 AM (PDT)

Well, I agree with Martin from Argertina. Here in Mexico we can’t purchases games for the iPod Classic, only applications for the iPod Touch and iPhone…

No wonder a lot of people get their hands on those iTunes gift cards and submit false information (e.g. US mailing address) to get access to the US store… Tsk, tsk…

I guess we only need to wait until the iPod Click Wheel Games become available in Mexico…

Posted by Armando on August 6, 2008 at 5:32 PM (PDT)

Even more ridiculous than the wimpy international iTunes stores is the fact that Apple manages to make arrangements for the iPhone 3G in both Egypt and Jordan, but somehow cannot do the same thing in Israel!? Apparently, Apple claims that they cannot release the device in Israel yet because they do not have Language Support for the area, more specifically, the iPhone 3G does not support right-to-left text.

If that is true, then why release in Egypt and Jordan, both of which speak Arabic, which ALSO is written using right-to-left text. It seems there is another reason: either Israeli telecom companies haven’t reached an accord with Apple, or something is ‘rotten in Cupertino’.

Posted by JW on August 21, 2008 at 10:36 AM (PDT)

I sincerely hope Apple completely updates these localized stores for all content, including click wheel games, movies and music etc, even in Pakistan. They have been opening many premium and authorized stores here.  I’ve been itching to finally be able to buy a game and rent some movies but turns out I can’t. All I can do is get Apps for iphone and touch. Thats just unfair and frustrating. They are just promoting piracy. Without these functions, people just don’t know what to do with their ipods.

Posted by FO on August 30, 2008 at 1:04 AM (PDT)

What saddens me most is that iPods and iPhones in Brazil are amongst the most expensive in the world and yet the iTunes Store in non-existent and the AppStore is far from being satisfactory. It’s a crying shame that one should pay around 7,000 US dollars for an MBP, 700 US dollars for the small iPod Touch and still be treated like a second class consumer! How would American consumers react if they were treated like that?

Sites that sell music in Brazil are incompatible with Apple computers and the workaround is simply too time consuming.

It’s high time Apple put its act together and did something.

Posted by Dan on October 3, 2008 at 6:55 AM (PDT)

It sucks it cost so much for people in Brazil, but you have no right to discriminate against American consumers.

We could say, how would Brazillian people feel if they lost jobs to American people, did not supply their own fruits, veggies, and oil no longer.

How about, it just sucks for people in Brazil as a better statement to say.

Posted by Scott on October 3, 2008 at 9:24 PM (PDT)

Perhaps Brazilians need to look at their import regulations as to why things like iPods cost so much in Brazil. If it isn’t made in Brazil…expect a HUGE import tariff to be levied on the product. Complain to your government….not Apple.

Posted by Rand on October 4, 2008 at 8:25 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >