Apple hints at new iPod announcement, sees ‘staggering’ nano demand | iLounge News

Apple hints at new iPod announcement, sees ‘staggering’ nano demand

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Tuesday, October 11, 2005
News Categories: iPod

During Apple’s fourth quarter conference call with analysts and press Tuesday, a senior Apple executive said that the final phase of a complete iPod lineup revamp would be revealed before the holiday shopping season, hinting that full-size iPods would soon receive a makeover and new features—possibly at tomorrow’s special event in San Jose, California.

While discussing the iPod family and the new iPod nano, which just replaced the iPod mini, Tim Cook, Apple’s executive vice president of worldwide sales and operations, said that his company had some “very innovative new products that we have yet to introduce” for the holiday season. Cook noted that Apple began working on “revolutionary” new versions of its iPods more than a year ago, and that last quarter was the final quarter for the older models.

Also during the conference call, Cook said that Apple sold over 1 million iPod nanos in the first 17 days of the product’s availability (before the fourth quarter ended), and that the company is seeing “staggering” demand and an “enormous backlog” for the tiny device.

« DLO unveils redesigned TransPod

Apple reports best earnings ever, ships 6.4 million iPods »

Comments

I’m so exicted. I love my 4th Gen 40Gb, but a vPod sounds nice….

Posted by salsal on October 11, 2005 at 6:44 PM (PDT)

So does anyone know the time of the event?

Posted by RobototoboR on October 11, 2005 at 7:38 PM (PDT)

for whatever reason, apple has always had trouble updating itunes music store the tueday after a monday holiday - historically that has been the case. so i wouldn’t take that as a sign that tomorrow there will be some great new itms feature.

keeping my fingers crossed… but…

Posted by Travis on October 11, 2005 at 7:39 PM (PDT)

RobototoboR, the event starts at 10:00 am Pacific Standard time, 1:00 pm Eastern Standard Time

Posted by jialuolu on October 11, 2005 at 7:46 PM (PDT)

Okay im not too sure how this works… i heard about the nano from a friend at work.. is their ne way to watch it live or do you just have to wait for the site to be updated or what!!! i wanna know asap… thanks

Posted by Jonathan on October 11, 2005 at 8:26 PM (PDT)

Well of course I’m excited about tomorrow’s event, but I’m unlikely to stick with anything but my trusty mini.  Anyway, I’m not super confident in Think Secret—they drove me crazy with their February 2005 reports that a color screen mini was arriving, only to have the 2G come out.  And what was with all their vPod talk leading up to September 7?  But I must say I do have slightly more faith in them this time around—for some reason.  Maybe I just want some fun news tomorrow.

Posted by M. le Pod on October 11, 2005 at 9:00 PM (PDT)

Dave, Think Secret was never 100% correct. It is and remains a rumor site yet, for some very strange reason, people believe it to be the source of all truth about Apple. Even the so-called Main Stream Media quotes TS from time to time.

Posted by Chidi O on October 11, 2005 at 9:03 PM (PDT)

I have “independent study” (a.k.a. I’m still applying, so I do whatever) 5th hour tomorrow. I’m going to freaking run to the computers!

Posted by iBode on October 11, 2005 at 9:23 PM (PDT)

There will be a link on the apple web site that you will be able to view the Unvailing. but it is not posted for a few hours after the event. i think. and i lounge always posts the link as well so you cant go wrong.

Posted by kaj on October 11, 2005 at 9:28 PM (PDT)

if apple came out with a ipod with a longer battery life…

Posted by Navas on October 11, 2005 at 10:13 PM (PDT)

New iPods will be nice but I’m honestly not that psyched about a video pod…It will either have too small of a screen or too big of a physical enclosure. I WANT NEW POWERBOOKS. Apple - you’re a computer company. Get back to where your roots are.

Posted by mongoos150 in Tucson, AZ on October 11, 2005 at 10:34 PM (PDT)

I’ve got it:  Cabbage Patch iPods

It’ll create a holiday season frenzy unseen before, with death tolls rising above that of the wrath of Hurricane Rita and french fries combined, as crazed consumers fight for the limited quantity available on store shelves.

Posted by Number 5 on October 11, 2005 at 10:52 PM (PDT)

I’ve heard the big announcment is…Intel chips way ahead of schedule.  Anyone else hear that?  I love my nano.

Posted by djsanta on October 11, 2005 at 11:04 PM (PDT)

youre all wrong. the revolutionary ipod is a scratch-resistant ipod, which they will reveal tomorrow. and its black.

Posted by the mime on October 12, 2005 at 12:07 AM (PDT)

video ipod?
i’ll just get myself a psp at more than half the price..

Posted by iJay on October 12, 2005 at 12:16 AM (PDT)

why is everyone calling the video iPod the vPod?...it’s not like the ‘i’ in iPod stood for music. It’d simply be called an iPod Video. Or Something along those lines. iPod brand is already in place….why not use it?
Dan x

Posted by Dan Nicholls on October 12, 2005 at 12:30 AM (PDT)

I just came home with my new 60GB ipod and paired down my music collection from 70GB to 55 to fit on it and have started uploading it then read about the announcement thats coming.  If it’s an 80GB ipod I think I’ll have to kill myself.

Posted by tim on October 12, 2005 at 12:31 AM (PDT)

how about an ipod with bluetooth so that wireless headphones can be used with them? wireless is definitely the way to go. that’s much more practical than a video ipod. minor syncing from cpu to ipod would be done effortlessly.

Posted by blueboy on October 12, 2005 at 12:39 AM (PDT)

see, now i’m in the ball park that wouldnt really care for blue tooth headphones. They’re available elsewhere if you want em that bad!...tell you waht though, wireless music transfers would be awesome.

Tim: don’t fret. its not worth killin gurself over. if you need any sympathy hugs, we’re all here.lolol.
Dan x

Posted by Dan NIcholls on October 12, 2005 at 12:52 AM (PDT)

10 hrs more to go..

damn it.. itz gonna be the longest 10 hrs of my life.. God please make make time fly faster..

Posted by mok0o on October 12, 2005 at 1:10 AM (PDT)

Page 2 of 4 pages  <  1 2 3 4 >