Apple, HP deal angers Microsoft | iLounge News

Apple, HP deal angers Microsoft

“HP’s move to release an own-branded digital-music player based on Apple’s iPod and to ship iTunes pre-installed on all HP PCs - has angered Microsoft.

General manager of Microsoft’s Windows digital media division David Fester has suggested that iTunes’ emerging dominance would be bad for consumers, because it would limit them to the iPod.”

« How to create notes on the iPod

UK TV reports iPod battery issue »

Comments

..and the sad thing about all of this is that they are dead serious

Posted by Fiddytree on January 13, 2004 at 2:26 PM (CST)

So any company that isn’t microsoft should just fold up? These guys piss me off to no end

Posted by bkush on January 13, 2004 at 3:28 PM (CST)

This is payback time. When Steve was just starting out, he went to HP with his ideas and they turned him down at the time. Now he’s back with something that is good and HP has been wise to see it this time.

It will be a tricky decision to make. Add WMA support to the HP iPod and have all the customers out there (want to) buy an (HP)iPod so that they can play their WMA files and the iPod sales go up.

Or stick with mp3 and aac and hope that aac takes over marketshare from wma. It would if it’s of better quality. But if that’s the case, I don’t know. I’m sure there are others who know whether aac is better than wma.

But if that’s the case, MS won’t let it stay that way for long. They’ll come out with something claiming to be better and find a way to distribute that for free.

When MS sneezes, the rest of the industry gets a cold.

Posted by twum on January 13, 2004 at 4:50 PM (CST)

twum: “...hope that aac takes over marketshare from wma…”? AAC already has 70% of the market. Do you want it to take the remaining 30%? I mean, c’mon! Give Redmond something.

Posted by Atomic Bomb in Mid-Atlantic on January 13, 2004 at 5:16 PM (CST)

70% of zero is still zero. “Legal” music is a joke. When I want to listen to something, I go to edonkey or soulseek and find the file I want within minutes. I like a nice, high fidelity 224+ Kbps sample, and I get the only true cross-platform, totally portable format: MP3.

Don’t kid yourselves, you don’t own any music stored in AAC with FairPlay and any impressions to the contrary is just FUD by Apple.

I personally can’t much difference between Apple’s tying iTMS product to the iPod, and Rhapsody tying their product to specific players, except that Apple charge a buck per download and tie them to a small, specific set of hardware and software, and Rhapsody charge 10 bucks per month and tie them to authorized players.

Posted by Jokers on January 13, 2004 at 5:29 PM (CST)

Jokers: Actually it’s 32 million… so far (the 70% portion, that is). But maybe in your math that equals zero. And I guess you need to take a lesson in legalese - or just read the license agreement in the first place - if you think iTunes purchases aren’t owned.

Just for my edification, what the hell are “edonkey” or “soulseek”? Are those some miscellaneous peer-to-peer virus-distro apps. No thanks.

You “personally can’t [see] much” because you’re too blinded by your ignorance. Oh well.

Posted by Atomic Bomb in Mid-Atlantic on January 13, 2004 at 5:48 PM (CST)

I don’t have to sign a damn licence for my CDs - I just buy them and I can sell them to whoever I want when I am done with them. That is my right of first sale.

Can I do that with iTunes songs? I don’t think so.

They are not owned by me, they are owned by Apple and the RIAA. Same goes for Rhapsody.

And if you’ve never used slsk then you are missing out on the best music downloader since AudioGalaxy or Napster.

Posted by PP on January 13, 2004 at 5:56 PM (CST)

Ahh. The old peer-to-peer vs iTunes vs CD argument. What an old, haggard waste of time. Have fun spending hours searching for cut-off songs encoded by 10-year-olds with your worm-ware. Woo-hoo! Par-tee.

Posted by Atomic Bomb in Mid-Atlantic on January 13, 2004 at 6:01 PM (CST)

soulseek isn’t free…
doesnt make it legal, just makes it cost money, why not bother paying apple the money? i dont get it.

Posted by Harrison in Melbourne, Australia on January 13, 2004 at 6:03 PM (CST)

yep.. ignore that last post.

Posted by Harrison in Melbourne, Australia on January 13, 2004 at 6:06 PM (CST)

There’s no point in arguing that buying music is a dead end… I think Apple has shown that some people will buy the music instead of steal it, and there are an appreciable enough number that they may even make a profit.

Moreover, Apple has done wonders for its name recognition, and giving iTunes (free MP3 and AAC encoder) away to every Windows user is icing on that cake.

Posted by Benson Leung on January 13, 2004 at 6:33 PM (CST)

On slsk I’ve downloaded over 300GB of obscure Euro electronica (some limited to <300 vinyl pressings), elegantly organized by label|artist|producer, many in 320 K VBR, complete with album art, .NFO files, and discographies. I expect the iTunes store (or other RIAA front) to offer comparable quality and selection like this “when hell freezes over”.

I don’t know what kind of crappy music downloaders you people use, with “cut off songs” and “10-year-olds” but I suggest hanging out with the grown-ups. Leave Kazaa and that rubbish to the Britney fans.

Posted by PP on January 13, 2004 at 7:14 PM (CST)

PP: Wow, dude, you are so cool. Way to stick it to The Man! Awe-some.

So what’s the “slsk” marketing department pay these days?

Posted by Atomic Bomb in Mid-Atlantic on January 13, 2004 at 7:26 PM (CST)

Dont get me wrong i was a windows user for 10 years and just made the switch and have never looked back. Microsoft is getting some of their own medicine and they dont like it. I think its pretty funny.

Posted by CE on January 13, 2004 at 7:28 PM (CST)

Anything that angers Microsoft has to be good for the consumer.

Posted by Mountain Man on January 13, 2004 at 7:52 PM (CST)

“....bad for consumers, because it would limit them to the iPod.”

So what’s so wrong with that? :)

Posted by ILoveMusic on January 13, 2004 at 9:22 PM (CST)

Well, you do understand that Microsoft would rather consumers be limited to Microsoft products.

I’ll tell you, I get tickled when someone beats Microsoft at their own game and Microsoft crys foul.

Posted by Mountain Man on January 13, 2004 at 9:34 PM (CST)

Atomic Bomb: You sound like an idiot.  Try actually using the program before condemning it.  For obscure electronic music, soulseek is as good as it gets.  Itunes has a terrible electronic selection, as do just about every record store on the planet.  Not to mention most of this stuff is out of print.  If I’m going to order something, I’d like to listen to it first.  That’s where soulseek comes in.

I think paid music services are a good idea, but they’re not worth the money right now. I see itunes as a place where people go to get the latest hits, or a few songs of an album they know they like, but as far as paying for entire albums, 10.00 for sub-quality rips is just insane.

Posted by dave on January 13, 2004 at 10:23 PM (CST)

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US!!!

Posted by roy179 on January 13, 2004 at 10:29 PM (CST)

Dave - i agree - who wants to pay practically the same amount for a locked file at 128kbps (not bad as it’s aac but nowhere near cd quality) when they can preview the song on a p2p app and then if they like it BUY it.

Posted by dmeineck on January 14, 2004 at 2:11 AM (CST)

Page 2 of 4 pages  < 1 2 3 4 >