Apple, HP deal angers Microsoft | iLounge News

Apple, HP deal angers Microsoft

“HP’s move to release an own-branded digital-music player based on Apple’s iPod and to ship iTunes pre-installed on all HP PCs - has angered Microsoft.

General manager of Microsoft’s Windows digital media division David Fester has suggested that iTunes’ emerging dominance would be bad for consumers, because it would limit them to the iPod.”

« How to create notes on the iPod

UK TV reports iPod battery issue »

Comments

dave: I’m not an electronica freak. I have used soulseek. I consider it a waste of time, but to each his own. Frankly, I am annoyed at the gratuitous plugs of these apps in the comments of a story about HP and Microsoft. Seems a little off-topic to me. (But I guess they have to promote their obscure product somehow.)

Posted by Atomic Bomb in Mid-Atlantic on January 14, 2004 at 5:10 AM (PDT)

You can always be sure of Atomic to deliver a cutting remark in the final sentence of his topics - i love it, whether i agree or disagree raspberry

Posted by dmeineck on January 14, 2004 at 5:51 AM (PDT)

his/her

Posted by dmeineck on January 14, 2004 at 5:52 AM (PDT)

Atomic Bomb on Jan 13, 04 4:48 pm
“Just for my edification, what the hell are “edonkey” or “soulseek”? Are those some miscellaneous peer-to-peer virus-distro apps. No thanks.”

By Atomic Bomb on Jan 14, 04 6:10 am
“I have used soulseek. I consider it a waste of time, but to each his own.”

Having seen Atomic Bob make a fool of himself/herself on so many occasions, I have rarely caught him/her in such a huge whopper! Most of what he/she says if just rubbish, or blind zealotry. He/She is the worst kind of troll. Just ignore him/her and he’she will eventually go away.

Posted by LiesDamnedLies on January 14, 2004 at 7:03 AM (PDT)

Sarcasm you fool. Sarcasm.

Posted by Atomic Bomb in Mid-Atlantic on January 14, 2004 at 7:16 AM (PDT)

Clearly I knew what those little apps where when I posted my first comment. Now how would I know? Hmmm…. Use what little reasoning remains in your feable mind to understand that the entire point of my posts about the silly little p-p apps was to insult the poster for not commenting on the topic at hand.

How hard is it to post a response to the topic? Go to the forums and start a discussion on slsk or whatever other little file sharing app you would like. Chat it up to your heart’s content with people who are actually interested in that crap. Instead, you post your little promos in the comments section of an unrelated topic. What a waste.

Posted by Atomic Bomb in Mid-Atlantic on January 14, 2004 at 7:25 AM (PDT)

“feable”?
Don’t you mean “feeble”?

What a feeble mind!

wink

Posted by dmeineck on January 14, 2004 at 7:50 AM (PDT)

Note use of word “little” 5 times in Atomic’s post, are you trying to tell us something Atomic?

Posted by dmeineck on January 14, 2004 at 7:53 AM (PDT)

Thank you, Dr. Webster. If you’d like to spellcheck my future posts, just shoot me your email address and I’ll run them by you first.

Yes, I am trying to tell you something. Good catch! And since you responded, you seem to have caught the bait.

Posted by Atomic Bomb in Mid-Atlantic on January 14, 2004 at 7:55 AM (PDT)

Any Time, but unfortunately i can’t help you with your “little” problem, perhaps you might want to pay more attention to your spam, such as enlargement pills? wink

Posted by dmeineck on January 14, 2004 at 8:03 AM (PDT)

I’m rubber and you’re glue…

Posted by Atomic Bomb in Mid-Atlantic on January 14, 2004 at 8:06 AM (PDT)

Sarcasm doesn’t bode well on the internet.  So I’m going to go ahead and call ########.

Posted by dave on January 14, 2004 at 9:22 AM (PDT)

“call ########”? What’s the number. Too bad it doesn’t bode well. Then perhaps simple observation would help. Can you manage that?

Posted by Atomic Bomb in Mid-Atlantic on January 14, 2004 at 9:34 AM (PDT)

Okay, seriously boys and girls, if you want to promote your p-p software in the comments section of this story, then feel free. Heck, I’ll even throw in a few site hits so your boss can think you’re doing your job. No problem! I’m sure everyone expecting to see feedback on a story about HP pissing off Microsoft is very happy to be pointed in the direction of the best source of electronica on the net. By all means, procede. In fact, perhaps iPodLounge would like to offer free advertising to you guys so you don’t have to bother posting to the comments section. Better yet, why not redirect their home page directly to your site? That way all of us idiots who actually (gasp) buy from the iTunes Music Store (the horror) will come to our senses when we see your clearly superior product.

OMG, what was I thinking?

Posted by Atomic Bomb in Mid-Atlantic on January 14, 2004 at 9:41 AM (PDT)

To repeat the original post that started cuddly Atomic frothing, “70% of nothing is still nothing”. “Legal downloads” are a rounding error in the global consumption of music.

The quantity of “legal” downloads is as a fine mist compared with the Amazonian torrent that is p2p, BitTorrent, dc, Gnutella, and so on. It’s a rearguard action by the RIAA to wring a few last pennies out of a bankrupt system before change sweeps it away. It’s as if, faced with the advent of trains, the canal builders had added fancy new streamlined boats with shiny hulls.

Did anyone read the NY Times today? It says music downloads are a losing proposition, and that the only service that is making money is subscriptions like Real and Rhapsody. Basically, with a sub the “cost” of a music download is measured in fractions of a penny - that’s the only way to compete with free.

Posted by AtomicZealot on January 14, 2004 at 10:01 AM (PDT)

Awesome! The Rhapsody promoter is back. It’s great to see the same retreaded Rhapsody promotion posted in yet another creative way. The fond memories of having read this tripe so many times before makes me blistfully misty eyed.

And then to conveniently re-post select portions of a previous comment on this article. Wow! You really care… you really really care.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

Posted by Atomic Bomb in Mid-Atlantic on January 14, 2004 at 10:12 AM (PDT)

saying such and such a company makes money doesn’t equal a promotion for said company.  Saying Apple makes money on iPods doesn’t make me want to buy an iPod.

Posted by dave on January 14, 2004 at 11:07 AM (PDT)

Ive heard of Realplayer and its quality is always terrible. What is this Rhapsody and does it sound better than Realplayer and can I run it on my imac?

Posted by harold on January 14, 2004 at 11:14 AM (PDT)

harold: Rhapsody is REAL’s membership-fee-based music rental service. No, there is no Rhapsody client available for your Mac. To demonstrate REAL’s dedication to Rhapsody, they have recently integrated their own scaled-down version of the iTunes Music Store and integrated it into their new REAL 10 player. That, too, is not available for Mac.

But the really good news for PC users is that the REAL 10 player can play songs purchased on the iTunes Music Store. I think that’s pretty savvy of REAL.

Posted by Atomic Bomb in Mid-Atlantic on January 14, 2004 at 11:56 AM (PDT)

Yikes, the middle of my last post was a bit muddled. All I was saying was that REAL’s new music service is unrelated to Rhapsody and is their attempt to compete with iTunes. It is a much more valiant effort at competition than Rhapsody… that’s for sure.

Posted by Atomic Bomb in Mid-Atlantic on January 14, 2004 at 11:57 AM (PDT)

Page 3 of 4 pages  <  1 2 3 4 >