Apple: If iPhone, iPod touch Wi-Fi fix tips fail, seek repairs | iLounge News

Apple: If iPhone, iPod touch Wi-Fi fix tips fail, seek repairs

Apple has posted a new support document outlining the steps users can take to try and fix specific Wi-Fi or Bluetooth issues on the iPhone or iPod touch. According to the article “Unable to use Wi-Fi or Bluetooth with iPhone or iPod touch because there’s no address listed for the device,” symptoms of the issue may include a greyed out Wi-Fi or Bluetooth icon, a lack of an address for either or both of the protocols, the appearance of a Wi-Fi signal but no ability to connect to online services, and the inability to pair with a Bluetooth device. Apple lists three steps for fixing these problems, telling users to try resetting network settings, erasing all content and settings, and restoring the software. If none of those three methods work, Apple says the device may need repairs. A number of users have reported problems with Wi-Fi and or Bluetooth following the installation of iPhone OS 3.0, however, it is unclear how many users are dealing with the specific issues outlined in this document.

« Apple rejects News Addict app, wants 17+ rating

Thought Out debuts iPhone tripod mount »

Comments

It’s clear to me that OS has a wifi problem. on my iphone 3g never jailbreaked, everithing is OK, so what?? There’s is just a symptomatic issue, on the use of the app “wifi finder”, that doesn’t work anymore with 3.0. We can remark also that’s this app was discovering more wifi networks than the pref system panel of the OS, a bit the same kind of thing on Leopard on Mac with some widgets discovering more networks then the system itself.
So what is Apple doing with the wifi??

Posted by jer FRANCE on July 10, 2009 at 5:01 PM (PDT)

I made a mistake: the name of the app wa “wifinder” it is now “wifi checker”. All reviews on the app store report the same problem of not working anymore with 3.0. Just crash when discovering begins in the app.

Posted by jer FRANCE on July 10, 2009 at 5:35 PM (PDT)

OS 3.0 has been great for me—it fixed my wi-fi probs.  I no longer get dropped connections and everything works faster.

Posted by astroman33 on July 12, 2009 at 2:50 PM (PDT)

you should not have to seek repairs for what is clearly a software issue. I had 3.0 and it would connect to a wifi source but would not be able to surf the web, connect to app store, etc.

I downgraded to the 2.2.1 IPSW and everything works just fine…

This is Apple’s problem with software, not hardware

Posted by Egochek on July 18, 2009 at 12:25 AM (PDT)

I’ve been using my 1st generation of Iphone for almost 2 years without any issue with wifi or bluetooth until few weeks ago (after upgrade to 3.0 OS). Since then my Iphone could not see any wifi network at all. Apple tech support have tried to troubleshoot but no luck. They asking for deposit $400 to get the replacement (same generation + refurbished), after they get my old phone, they will credit back and charge me $29. This is unfair. This is Apple 3.0 OS bug that killed my iphone wifi. This is not user error. Apple should send me a replacement without charging me or they need to fix the OS ASAP that can bring my wifi back (which I don’t think so since my wifi already dead).

Posted by CBC on July 21, 2009 at 9:08 AM (PDT)

i erased all contents and settings on my ipod touch and it took an hour for the loding thing to finish ,after that i have the apple logo and it wont go away
i need help?
what should i do?

Posted by muneeb on July 28, 2009 at 2:16 PM (PDT)

@muneeb:
I had this same issue
Put your iphone in DFU mode (simply google for DFU mode)
and then restore in iTunes, it will fix it

Posted by rbrt on August 4, 2009 at 5:44 AM (PDT)

After much researching i found that to fix the wifi is to reset network settings an if that fails either upgrade or downgrade the firmware.by what i am seeing is that apple software is becoming more unreliable every time a new release is made an i dont think its fair for apple to charge almost the same amount as buying a new device if you want your system repaired an warranties wether expired or not if there are hardware issues they should be responsible in replacing.

Posted by Erik on August 26, 2009 at 12:18 PM (PDT)

I keep searching for a reason that the new IPOD Touch
with Bluetooth has no volume control when paired to my A2DP compliant headphones. The head phones do not have a volume control due to size so the sound almost explodes your ears. Apple couldn’t give me an snswer.

Regards

Stan Schrock

Posted by Stanley Schrock on October 23, 2009 at 10:36 AM (PDT)

i have a problem with my iphone , the wifi is not working , and i did reset network settings it didnt work

Posted by marwan on January 28, 2010 at 11:10 AM (PDT)

dont know how or why but after trying everything to fix my grayed out wifi i came across someone that said they fix it by putting it in the freezer for about 10 min it worked for me!!! make sure you put in ziplock with tissue for condensation spread the word!! try before you do what i did update iphone to latest unlockable software (which did not fix problem) try before all else!! i also rest, restored, network, master, you name it i did it so try first post or even better make youtube video i wish i would have but did not think it would work

Posted by cesar6974 on March 17, 2010 at 9:11 PM (PDT)

ok mine was jail broken. (ipod touch) and now the ipod’s wifi thing wont work. its grayed out.i really need help and i dont know how to fix it. its a 2nd gen. i already rested the wifi settings and i restored it nothing helped.

Posted by apersonstranger on March 17, 2010 at 11:16 PM (PDT)

I had a No Wifi thing and at the same time bluetooth wasn’t working… and i was not able to fix with all the fix tips… so I decided to turn the ipod touch off to send it off to Apple to replace the parts for Wifi…. My parents turn it on again without my permission like 30 min after I shut it down and it was fixed by itself like nothing had happened…

Posted by BDragonst on May 29, 2010 at 3:02 PM (PDT)

ok, so i have a problem. my ipod touch is 2nd gen 3.1.3 firmware jailbroken and wifi is not workin. it was fine a few weeks ago then just gave out the next day. but the funny part is when i try to put the info in network settings it crashes every time now idk why though. can anyone help??

Posted by RabbiT on July 29, 2010 at 2:26 AM (PDT)

i have a 3rd generation ipod nano and when i plug it into my computer, it needs to be reset when it’s plugged in. But this time after i reseted it my ipod ended up needing to be restored. So i did. then a message came up saying that it had some files that are being used by another application.

what does this mean and how can i fix it?

Posted by andy on July 30, 2010 at 1:53 PM (PDT)

My wifi for my ipod touch is failing.I tried reseting and still no help. What should I do?!

Posted by Charles Owens on August 19, 2010 at 1:12 PM (PDT)

i rested my ipodtouch becuz something was frozen and than when i reset it the wifi said it was disconneted.i tried to connect again but it was giving me the internet connections and told me to type in the password but we dob’t have a password we only have a serial number and it doesn’t work when i put it in!!so now the internet doesn’t work I am are without internet in my ipodtouch.i really need help to get it connected again it’s been 2weeks!! help!!

Posted by manjot on April 15, 2011 at 9:19 PM (PDT)

I HAVE A 2ND GEN IPOD. I JUST WOKE UP ONE DAY AND IT HAD THE RESTORE IPOD THING ON IT SO I PLUGED IT UP TO THE COMPUTER THEN I ADDED ALL MY MUSIC AND STUFF. AFTER THAT I TRYD TO USE WIFI AND IT POPED UP AS NO WIFI AND IT IS GRAY. UM WHATS THE PROBLEM AND HOW DO I FIX IT?

Posted by JAMAIL BARRETT on May 22, 2011 at 10:39 AM (PDT)

the same thing happened to me. i have an ipod touch 2g mc model and one day it just restarted in my hand. when it came back on it had deleted all my music and everything. also the wifi was greyed out and says no wifi in settings and after i put my music back on the ipod wont even play it. when i choose the song on my ipod, it acts like its going to play, then goes back to my list of songs. i restored network settings, full restore, restore in itunes and set up as new ipod, itried hard reset soft reset , dfu restore and nothing has helped. i have absolutely no idea what els do to!!
pleasee help me!

Posted by kenny G on May 24, 2011 at 6:36 PM (PDT)

i had the problem with the wifi/bluetooth since the winter and i’ve tried on several occasions since to follow the advise of apple and do all these resettings. still no wifi. i realize i’m out of warranty but if it’s a problem with apple why do I have to pay? As it is, I don’t have money to repair or replace my itouch. Their fault and I’m stuck with a useless itouch.

Posted by Reggi on May 26, 2011 at 7:35 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >