Apple in no rush to launch iTunes Music Store Europe | iLounge News

Apple in no rush to launch iTunes Music Store Europe

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Friday, April 16, 2004
News Categories: iTunes

“‘When we launch in Europe, we want to do it well. There can be no compromise on the ease of use, the depth of the catalog or the responsiveness (of the Web site),’ Apple’s European chief Pascal Cagni told Reuters in a telephone interview.

He added that a delay of a few months was acceptable because the store was going to be an important outlet for many years.

‘This is going to be so important for the future that a few months’ delay is not essential,’ he said. ‘But it will come. Absolutely,’ he added, when asked if he was sticking to the launch target year of 2004.”

« iSkin mini now available

Lajo releases exo2mini-sb for iPod mini »

Comments

Huh?  I think the only relevant excuse he mention was depth of catalog.  Ease of use is a done deal, and the responsiveness of the web site is determined by hardware, both of which have a precedent in the US ITMS.

Sounds to me like Apple is having a really hard time lining up music companies and artists in the UK (I know the “system” there is vastly different than in the US).  Why can’t Apple call a spade a spade.

Posted by matthew on April 16, 2004 at 7:50 AM (PDT)

I thought the only delay was due negotiations with the European music industries (http://www.ipodlounge.com/ipodnews_comments.php?id=P2781_0_7_0_C)?  If the music is licensed and ready to go, this is something to celebrate!  Unfortunately, I might have to agree with Matthew and wonder if Apple is trying to distract us from the depressing truth.

Posted by Jon Eccleston in UK on April 16, 2004 at 9:05 AM (PDT)

This means, as a memeber of rip-off UK i will have to wait longer to download legal music to put on my Ipod - all we get over here is over priced cars, a US hugging goverment, expensive petrol and WMA online stores - the joy!

*begs* go on Apple - be a hero!

Posted by Bluefrog on April 16, 2004 at 9:16 AM (PDT)

Shame

Posted by English Flyer on April 16, 2004 at 11:33 AM (PDT)

Now focus on getting around the legal stuff and bringing the ITMS to Canada.

Posted by IpodforLife on April 16, 2004 at 12:28 PM (PDT)

That’s funny Bluefrog, I thought we had free hospitals and schools and comprehensive income support system as well. My mistake…

Posted by pomegranate on April 16, 2004 at 12:56 PM (PDT)

But of course. Forget about the rest of the world, its so easy to do.

Posted by Adam on April 16, 2004 at 4:37 PM (PDT)

Well I know that their won’t be any issues in canada because downloading music is leagal here :D

Posted by Gordon on April 16, 2004 at 5:32 PM (PDT)

I want iTunes (here in Canada).

Posted by dino on April 16, 2004 at 5:55 PM (PDT)

Let them be… the more they delay it, the more money they’ll lose as people who want to download legal music will still go for p2ps. It’s up to them. There is no way I will use something like myCokemusic. It sux.

Posted by Snolly on April 16, 2004 at 10:01 PM (PDT)

Pomegranate, what do you mean free hospitals? How on earth are they free? Everyone pays for them with higher taxation - the British NHS is the second biggest employer in the world behind only the Chinese Army and that doesn’t come cheap. There’s nothing free about your healthcare whatsoever.

Posted by Sal on April 17, 2004 at 1:36 AM (PDT)

FFS Sal of course I meant within the context of tax, I thought it was too obvious to bother mentioning. By free I mean you don’t have to pay for it as you use it.
And for some people it is free, such as people who can’t contribute funding the service, e.g. the elderly, people who can’t support themselves through disability, students, children.
People who can’t contribute are supported by those who can. This is what those oh-so extortionate taxes (boo-hoo I’m sure) are in part for.

Posted by pomegranate on April 17, 2004 at 2:57 AM (PDT)

Our wonderful free hospitals are decaying cess pits as is our free education system which is why anyone who can pays to avoid them.

Posted by loGan on April 17, 2004 at 8:13 AM (PDT)

Posted by sasdasd on April 17, 2004 at 8:16 AM (PDT)

That’s a very interesting (and good) little movie but I don’t understand it too well.

Posted by dino in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada on April 17, 2004 at 1:14 PM (PDT)

strange but cool movie
                !  )
music wasgood   @  )

Posted by BIGP in Texas on April 17, 2004 at 2:22 PM (PDT)

Yes, very interesting movie, but I don’t understand it too well. Could you explain it to us.

Posted by dino in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada on April 18, 2004 at 12:59 PM (PDT)

virgin music store charges 80p (1.20euro) a song or if you buy 40quid’s (60euro) worth of credit, having looked around that was the cheapest I could find.

1.20euro is 1.45dollars. In the US a song from itunes is 99cents.

Posted by midifix on April 18, 2004 at 10:51 PM (PDT)