Apple introduces new iPad accessories, cables
Alongside the iPad mini and fourth-generation iPad, Apple today introduced a handful of new accessories and cables including a new polyurethane iPad mini Smart Cover, Lightning to USB Camera Adapter, Lightning to SD Card Camera Reader, Lightning to Digital AV Adapter, and Lightning to VGA Adapter.
For the iPad mini, a shrunken version of the iPad Smart Cover was announced. iPad mini Smart Cover functions in the same way as Apple’s previous magnetic lid but forgoes the metal spine. It comes in dark gray, light gray, pink, green, blue, and (PRODUCT) RED variations.
Its iPad Camera Connection Kit, formerly coming with two adapters inside, has been split into two separate adapters: the Lightning to USB Camera Adapter and Lightning to SD Card Camera Reader. They work with both new iPad models.
The HDMI port-equipped Apple Digital AV Adapter and Apple VGA Adapter have also been updated with support for Lightning connectors. They’ve been renamed as the Lightning to Digital AV Adapter and Lightning to VGA Adapter, respectively, and cost $49 each. This represents a price increase of $10 for the Digital AV model and $20 for the VGA cable.
To support the revised third-generation iPad’s increased charging requirements, Apple also released a 12W USB Power Adapter ($19). The adapter is packaged alone without a Lightning to USB Cable or any other cable, much like the company’s 5W USB Power Adapter. It allows the iPad to charge at a faster rate than the iPad 10W USB Power Adapter that’s been in use since the first-generation model of the tablet, and because it omits the additional cable, it sells for a lower price.
- Apple provides iPads to 114 schools through ConnectED program
- Rumors: ‘iPad Pro’ found in data logs, to enter production in coming months
- Apple releases iOS 8.4.1, iTunes 12.2.2
- Apple increases iPad business focus, partners with 40+ companies
- El Capitan file hints at split-screen apps on iPad mini 4
- Report: iPhone 6S Force Touch to focus on shortcuts
- Apple to drop first-gen Apple TV, iPod classic support as of Sept 8th
- New Apple TV to feature motion sensitive remote
- Media companies balk at $40/mo. plan for Apple TV service
- Former Beats Music CEO Ian Rogers leaves Apple
- Apple partners with PayAnywhere for Apple Pay
- Report: iPhone 6S to retain 16GB base model
- Apple sends out invites to September 9 event
- iPhone 6S to get front flash mode? (Update: Rose Gold color on the way)
- Report: iPhone 6S to support Motion wallpapers
- Rumor: iPhone 6S Plus to have smaller battery, packaging revealed?
- Tech21 Evo Mesh Sport for iPhone 6 and Evo Elite for iPhone 6 Plus
- Thonet & Vander Koloss Bluetooth Speaker
- iHome iSP5 SmartPlug
- Spigen Apple Watch Nightstand S350
- DODOcase Lorna iPhone Wallet Case for iPhone 6 Plus
- SwitchEasy Blocks Customizable Dock Building Set for Apple Watch
- DODOcase Maritime Collection Multi-Angle Case for iPad Air 2
- Kanex iPhone ChargeSync Dock for iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus
- Onanoff Sound Cover for iPad Air + iPad Air 2
- Native Union Clic 360 for iPhone 6
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?