Apple introduces next-generation iPhone 3G | iLounge News

Apple introduces next-generation iPhone 3G

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Monday, June 9, 2008
News Categories: iPhone

image

Apple today introduced the long-awaited second-generation iPhone, dubbed the iPhone 3G. The new phone features a glossy, full-plastic rear casing, which is thinner on the sides than the current version, metal buttons, and a flush headphone jack. As expected, the iPhone 3G retains the 3.5-inch touch screen of the original, and adds support for 3G wireless networking (tri-band HSDPA), as well as assisted GPS. According to Apple, the iPhone 3G offers 300 hours of standby time, 10 hours of 2G talk time, 5 hours of 3G talk time “versus 3-3.5 on competing products,” 5-6 hours of high-speed web browsing, 7 hours of video playback, and 24 hours of audio playback. The new iPhone 3G will be available in 70 countries later this year, beginning with customer availability in 22 countries—Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, UK and the US—on July 11. It will sell for $199 for the 8GB model (black only) and $299 for the 16GB model (available in black or white).

“Just one year after launching the iPhone, we’re launching the new iPhone 3G that is twice as fast at half the price,” said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. “iPhone 3G supports Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync right out of the box, runs the incredible third party apps created with the iPhone SDK, and will be available in more than 70 countries around the world this year.”

image

image

« iPhone Software 2.0: new features, coming early July

Transcript of 2008 WWDC Keynote Address »

Comments

No video conferencing!?!?! Whaaaa!!!!

Posted by Ron on June 9, 2008 at 12:06 PM (PDT)

The Apple store is back up online but it looks like they won’t allow you to pre-order it. I’m hoping you can order it online on July 11th cuz I damn sure don’t want to wait in line at a retail store for one.

Posted by primaltheory on June 9, 2008 at 12:10 PM (PDT)

Apple Store Reopens:

3G iPhone -  8GB - $199 (Available 11 July)
3G iPhone - 16GB - $299

iPod Touch -  8GB-  $299
iPod Touch - 16GB - $399

Talk about subsidies!  Apple clearly learned their lesson.  Question.  Will iPod Touch prices come down by 11 July?

Posted by dp118 on June 9, 2008 at 12:18 PM (PDT)

My thoughts exactly dp118, and more what I would like to know, when will the iPhone be 32Gb?

Posted by Jeff on June 9, 2008 at 12:26 PM (PDT)

My prediction is that the iPhone 32 gb will be available for Christmas.
6 months sounds about right for a refresh.

Posted by Ron on June 9, 2008 at 12:33 PM (PDT)

Price is good news but I’d like more info on how the GPS works and whether you’ll be charged for using. Disappointed they aren’t offering a 32 gig version. I realise they are trying to protect the Itouch but who wants to walk around with both in your pocket and sales for Itouch etc are already slipping. A bit shortsighted as some of the Iphone competitors are already offering a lore more storage pace.

Posted by rf2008 on June 9, 2008 at 12:36 PM (PDT)

Nothing really surprising about the iPhone 3G, except for the price.  I’d consider upgrading my current iPhone if I could get $200 for it.  I paid $250 for it.

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on June 9, 2008 at 12:40 PM (PDT)

what are the rate plans and will gps be included in the plan? and wtf is up with no mms or forwarding of text messages? I thought they’d be no brainers to finally do what just about every other phone out there can do

Posted by Alex on June 9, 2008 at 12:42 PM (PDT)

I really don’t understand why Apple didn’t drop the prices of the touch.  Are they tying to phase it out of their product line?  And personally, I take it as a slight offense.  I had decided to buy a 16 GB touch a few weeks ago, but I was going to wait until after today to see what WWDC would bring.  And what did we get?  Admittedly, a sweet $199 8 GB iPhone 3G with GPS.  I am a Verizon customer, once AT&T subscriber.  I switched because of reasons I’m sure we’ve all heard spouted by customers more angry than I.  Point being, I’m not switching my cellphone service.  But with this halving in price, it certainly seems Apple expects me to.  Why would I buy a 16 GB touch, one that is TWICE as much as the new iPhone?  Only to switch to AT&T.  I don’t think so.

Posted by pjd9779 on June 9, 2008 at 12:44 PM (PDT)

OMG Apple, no videconferencing?  Ok, I let it slide with version 1, but it looks like it is nowhere to be found on version 2.  We still cant shoot videos?  Ugh.  DO not bash me gang, I have an iPhone.  Does this also mean we still will not be able to receive multi-media texts from users on other networks?  I hate having to log in to a website to see photos from a Verizon user.  Grrr… was hoping for more.

Posted by Tommy on June 9, 2008 at 12:45 PM (PDT)

Galley

With the full price at $199, I think ATT&T will offer new customers who sign up for 2years a discount for the 3g iphone at $75-$100 dollars.  You would be lucky to get $50 bucks for you old iphone.

Posted by tvolcom on June 9, 2008 at 12:48 PM (PDT)

wait…. 199 subsidized? or not?

Posted by K on June 9, 2008 at 1:08 PM (PDT)

No update to the camera either? I thought they’d at least shoot for 3 mp with a flash. With the great facebook webapp apple is really missing out on some great functionality by not including the ability to upload pics straight to it. This certainly isnt the iPhone 2, more like 1.5. I feel a bit letdown because I don’t really feel the need to upgrade anymore. 3g isnt in my area and I don’t have much need for gps. I encourage all you first gen users to check the coverage map and even see if 3g is in your area. I was disappointed to see that att 3g is not that widespread while verizons is almost everywhere.

Posted by Alex on June 9, 2008 at 1:17 PM (PDT)

I’m surprised they haven’t upgraded the camera on this newer version. A 2MP camera was old news when the first iPhone came out, to keep it for this version is extremely odd, especially when the average phone here in the UK has at least a 3MP Camera with video capability. I’m going to be holding off until this changes.

Posted by Adgatez on June 9, 2008 at 1:18 PM (PDT)

I agree, really kind of a buzz kill for those of us who already have iPhones.  I like the search feature that they added, but that really seemed to be the only major change to the current features that people will use regularly (other than the scientific cal and Word features).  Worse yet, we have to wait another month to get that!

Also where is one simple feature that we have been asking for, syncing of notepad?

The third party stuff sounds good, but really a lot of them have been available by web based apps.  Like the MLB scoring program that I use all the time as is.

No rush to upgrade for me yet.

Posted by TosaDeac on June 9, 2008 at 1:25 PM (PDT)

From the fine print on the website it looks like you have to sign up for a two year contract to get the listed pricing.  Maybe if you are a new customer you get a better deal, but even a current iPhone user will have to “re-up.”

Posted by random person on June 9, 2008 at 1:25 PM (PDT)

I just had a nice chat with Mark Siegel, AT&T Mobility Executive Director-Media relations about the new iPhone 3G. Mr. Siegel tells me that current iPhone customers and any other AT&T customer that is currently under a contract will be able to upgrade to the new iPhone 3G simply by agreeing to a new 2-year agreement and pay the $199 or $299 price for the device.

Mr. Siegel also tells me that the $199 or $299 prices are the only prices the handset will be offered at. When I pressed about the rumored subsidies Mr. Siegel replied, “That price is the subsidized price.” We could take that to mean that the retail prices Apple announced is taking into account the subsidies from the various iPhone partners around the globe.

Posted by tvolcom on June 9, 2008 at 1:30 PM (PDT)

Here’s my take on the news: Apple did a nice, but incremental upgrade. The price point is the most significant development, because the 3G/GPS rumor mill had been working at such a fever pitch for so long that the announcement of those features was simply anticlimactic.

Now, as to the complaints about failing to add video conferencing and upgrading the camera, you have to consider that Apple is a for-profit enterprise, and it’s virtually guaranteed that they will make these features available…in a subsequent build of the device. They’ll add a little memory here and there, bump up the battery life, make the screen resolution better, etc. over the next few years. No sense making dramatic upgrades to every single facet of the phone in one fell swoop, right?

As a current iPhone user and early adopter, I’m not bitter about the price drop, the slight redesign, or the introduction of GPS and 3G. Will I upgrade? I’ve got a month to think about it, but it seems like the developments in the apps area, which will apply to first-gen iPhones as well, are much more exciting than the physical upgrades.

Posted by Flippy Hambone on June 9, 2008 at 1:35 PM (PDT)

I agree w/Flippy, did we really think Apple was going to give us everything we wanted this time around? No, they are going to string it along for as long as possible. “If we build it, they will buy it” appears to be the mantra and we’re not doing a very good job of proving that strategy wrong.

Posted by marioj on June 9, 2008 at 1:41 PM (PDT)

Well the lower prices are a plus, but Apple has once again dropped the ball with the low storage capacities.  If Apple wants true market penetration they need to release iPhone models that can replace those who have 40, 60, 80GB iPods.

Posted by Greg on June 9, 2008 at 1:42 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 5 pages  1 2 3 >  Last »