Apple introduces next-generation iPhone 3G | iLounge News

Apple introduces next-generation iPhone 3G

image

Apple today introduced the long-awaited second-generation iPhone, dubbed the iPhone 3G. The new phone features a glossy, full-plastic rear casing, which is thinner on the sides than the current version, metal buttons, and a flush headphone jack. As expected, the iPhone 3G retains the 3.5-inch touch screen of the original, and adds support for 3G wireless networking (tri-band HSDPA), as well as assisted GPS. According to Apple, the iPhone 3G offers 300 hours of standby time, 10 hours of 2G talk time, 5 hours of 3G talk time “versus 3-3.5 on competing products,” 5-6 hours of high-speed web browsing, 7 hours of video playback, and 24 hours of audio playback. The new iPhone 3G will be available in 70 countries later this year, beginning with customer availability in 22 countries—Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, UK and the US—on July 11. It will sell for $199 for the 8GB model (black only) and $299 for the 16GB model (available in black or white).

“Just one year after launching the iPhone, we’re launching the new iPhone 3G that is twice as fast at half the price,” said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. “iPhone 3G supports Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync right out of the box, runs the incredible third party apps created with the iPhone SDK, and will be available in more than 70 countries around the world this year.”

image

image

« iPhone Software 2.0: new features, coming early July

Transcript of 2008 WWDC Keynote Address »

Comments

I disagree, Greg. Apple’s version of “true market penetration” is, at this time, to continue to dominate the stand-alone media player market AND to make further inroads in telephony. Sure, an 80 GB iPhone would be ideal, but can they deliver that feature cost-effectively and will quality control be compromised by a hard disk-based phone?

Apple does not want one of its products to cannibalize another. The iPod will always have its niche consumers, those who want storage capacity rather than multitasking. And the iPhone appears to be occupying its own niche already as well. If those two interests merge, well, Apple surely has no objections to selling people like me both a high-capacity iPod and a do-everything iPhone.

Posted by Flippy Hambone on June 9, 2008 at 4:48 PM (CDT)

Did they say that this was still exclusively for AT&T?

Posted by Ignacio on June 9, 2008 at 4:58 PM (CDT)

Two other unrelated thoughts:

1) So are they really going to leave the iPhone cheaper than the iTouch? or is the Touch price gonna drop too?  I know the iPhone has a contract for 2 years attached to it, but still.

2) One nice addition I missed the first time through was that it looks like the iPhone Calender app is going to have color coding for entries just like it does on your Mac.  A small improvement, but makes it nice to view your calendar at a glance and pick out things.

Posted by TosaDeac on June 9, 2008 at 5:01 PM (CDT)

I also agree with flippy, as a current and early iPhone user the drop in price is nice since I have family and friends that would love an iPhone but the current price keeps them away. The new physical features are ok at best for me I always have high speed internet available to me no matter where I’m at (home, work or vacation) so the 3G isn’t a “must have” and the GPS is ok at best also. The current iPhones “GPS” like locator is actually pretty good and has gotten me from airports around the world to my hotels many many mile away without a hitch. Also I have GPS navigation in my car and have a Gamin handheld. To me the biggest excitement is the 2.0 upgrade which is free for current iPhone users. Thats what I’m looking forward too. So don’t expect to see me in line at a Apple store July 11th unless “my dog eats” my current iPhone LOL.

Posted by Mike on June 9, 2008 at 5:03 PM (CDT)

I totally agree with the Greg’s last post. Decent memory capacity is key if mac want to build their market share.

I’ve been thinking about picking one up for the last year but the paltry memory is the big turn off.

Ideally I want a device that allows me to browse at decent speeds, can store a decent amount of music and digital media and has an efficient GPS. I’ve currently got a an 80 gig Ipod and while I put up with less storage for all the other features 32 gig would be the minimum that would bring me on board.

As I said earlier why bother buying an itouch when you know that in a short while you’ll be able to pull all your media on your iphone. But not quite yet…

Mac may think they protecting their itouch sales but they’ll end up losing out on customers who’ll end up not buying either.

Posted by RF2008 on June 9, 2008 at 5:21 PM (CDT)

HOLY FLYING F*CK I WANT THE WHITE ONE.

Now I just need to wait for them to unlock this one so I can use it with T-Mobile.

Posted by istuffzz on June 9, 2008 at 5:24 PM (CDT)

Woohoo! I’ll be there on the 11th.  Hope the Apple Store has extended Hours.  $199 is the clincher.

Posted by Dr.Gonzo on June 9, 2008 at 5:25 PM (CDT)

I can’t seem to find the webcast of today’s event anywhere on Apple’s site or iTunes.

Anyone have any info??  Thanks

Posted by Oscar on June 9, 2008 at 5:50 PM (CDT)

Oh please let it have Bluetooth dial-up networking plus copy & paste capabilities!

Posted by Ray on June 9, 2008 at 5:51 PM (CDT)

Okay, everyone’s got to stop whining about the iPod touch.  I’m sure the iPod touch will get a price drop (since the current 8gb iPhone is the same price as the Nano of the same storage)...just wait until autumn.

I’m sure they want to do it all on an annual bases, why they’re waiting is stupid, but it seems like a valid reason.

Posted by Michael on June 9, 2008 at 5:53 PM (CDT)

Well said Flippy, I couldn’t agree more. The fact that the upgrades are so incremental and yet as an early adopter I’m still considering upgrading, just shows Apple knows what they are doing… And that I must always have the latest and greatest gadgets unfortunately. ;)

Posted by Tom on June 9, 2008 at 6:03 PM (CDT)

RF2008, the key word in your post is “ideally.” I think we can all agree that it would be awesome to have a hundred gigs of media in our pocket, along with a cutting-edge web/mail device, exceptional battery life, turn-by-turn directions, and high-definition video capture and playback. And eventually we’ll get there, but right now, you are essentially asking for a significant leap—it’s easy to forget that the iPhone has been on the market for less than a year, and that it has, in many ways, redefined our mobile electronics culture. It’s no surprise that it’s heightened our expectations for the second generation of the device, but we still have to be reasonable in what our perceptions are.

I do agree that 8 GB is a pittance at this point, but keep in mind that the average user doesn’t need much more than that, and won’t be as inclined to spend more than $200 for just “extra space.” The conventional user isn’t going to be dismayed by having the ability to carry around a thousand songs, a full-length movie or two, and some podcasts. You and I might want more space, but the truth is just that we’ve been spoiled to that.

Posted by Flippy Hambone on June 9, 2008 at 6:06 PM (CDT)

I think 16gb should have been the entry level at $199 and $299 32gb. After all Apple wants you to buy alot of those shiney new Apps, so give use more space, I would’ve bought a 16gb at $199. And Apple where is the Voice Command feature? My 3 year old Razor can do it and it ain’t even a touchscreen that absolutely requires it in a car.

Posted by Scarpad on June 9, 2008 at 6:11 PM (CDT)

Like it was said before I would hope the price of the ipod touch drops as well.  Once I saw the price drop on the iPhone I kept looking around for news that the ipod touch was cheaper.  I guess I can keep my fingers crossed.

Posted by Justin on June 9, 2008 at 6:12 PM (CDT)

Flippy to be honest I’d be less concerned with the high quality video or camera. I work in TV and even the best of the phone cameras are pretty useless for more than fun stuff.

As far as storage goes the ipod’s competitors are offering a lot more storage than 16 gig and gps as well.

I’m a loyal mac fan but even someone with a modest music collection who wants to view tv series or other media on their iphone is going to struggle with 16 gig. Storage has become so cheap that buyers expectations are now much higher (I realise flash still has some one to go).

I’m pretty sure that Mac decision to restrict the storage has less to do with the challenge of fitting it into the phone and more to do with trying to extend the lifespan of the Itouch. In terms of of market share price has obviously been a big issue but now that there is real competition storage is will be a big one. While they’ve done reasonably well in the American market there’s a large european market they’ve barely penetrated.

And no the competition is snapping on their heels.

Posted by RF2008 on June 9, 2008 at 6:19 PM (CDT)

I must say I was looking forward to being wowed by this new iPhone, but when I saw the specs I was very disappointed.  I bought a HTC P3300 a little under **2 years ago** with a 2mp camera and built-in GPS - it’s old-hat.  The 3G should have been in the phone for the first version, and you would have thought that sticking a camera on the front would be a no-brainer for video calls.  Not impressed.

Yes, the user interface is very nice, and it’s great to have the ipod built-in, but even the 16gb version is going to get filled very quickly by media/apps.  The browser is superb for a mobile device and nothing comes close at the minute.

So, I’ll definitely be waiting for a future version IF they add video calling and more memory.

Very disappointed Apple C- (see me)

Posted by James D on June 9, 2008 at 6:41 PM (CDT)

The $200 price drop on new iPhones for U.S.A. consumers will be more than offset by AT&T’s just-announced price increase for its unlimited data plan from $20 to $30/month ($240 for a two year contract).

Posted by Dave S on June 9, 2008 at 7:01 PM (CDT)

@Dave S

My sentimonies exarctly. They lowered the iphone price by half then raised it by ~143%. We’ve been pwned.

Posted by Justin S on June 9, 2008 at 7:13 PM (CDT)

A more fair way to look at price would be to compare the cost of the 399 8GB 2.5G vs the 199 8GB 3G and their respective data plans at $20 and $30 each. 3G over two years price is $920. 2.5G over two years is $880. The new phone’s price is approx 105% of the old phone’s cost. This all presumes you go through AT&T and get get their minimum data add on, and ignores the price of the calling plan (assumption is that it’s constant).

Posted by Justin S. on June 9, 2008 at 7:18 PM (CDT)

Justin,

That’s disgusting.  It’d be fine if Apple weren’t making such a big deal about it being half the price.  Do they think that consumers are stupid?

Posted by James D on June 9, 2008 at 7:27 PM (CDT)

Page 2 of 5 pages  < 1 2 3 4 >  Last ›