Apple introduces next-generation iPhone 3G | iLounge News

Apple introduces next-generation iPhone 3G

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Monday, June 9, 2008
News Categories: iPhone

image

Apple today introduced the long-awaited second-generation iPhone, dubbed the iPhone 3G. The new phone features a glossy, full-plastic rear casing, which is thinner on the sides than the current version, metal buttons, and a flush headphone jack. As expected, the iPhone 3G retains the 3.5-inch touch screen of the original, and adds support for 3G wireless networking (tri-band HSDPA), as well as assisted GPS. According to Apple, the iPhone 3G offers 300 hours of standby time, 10 hours of 2G talk time, 5 hours of 3G talk time “versus 3-3.5 on competing products,” 5-6 hours of high-speed web browsing, 7 hours of video playback, and 24 hours of audio playback. The new iPhone 3G will be available in 70 countries later this year, beginning with customer availability in 22 countries—Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, UK and the US—on July 11. It will sell for $199 for the 8GB model (black only) and $299 for the 16GB model (available in black or white).

“Just one year after launching the iPhone, we’re launching the new iPhone 3G that is twice as fast at half the price,” said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. “iPhone 3G supports Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync right out of the box, runs the incredible third party apps created with the iPhone SDK, and will be available in more than 70 countries around the world this year.”

image

image

« iPhone Software 2.0: new features, coming early July

Transcript of 2008 WWDC Keynote Address »

Comments

Haha, my birthday is July 11. What a coincidence.

Posted by Angel Guerrero on June 9, 2008 at 4:51 PM (PDT)

Not sold on the new 3G.  I was hoping for the 32G and video phone and flash.  Does anybody know if my phone rates increase if I keep the old iphone?

Posted by Mmia on June 9, 2008 at 5:28 PM (PDT)

Any one if version 2 supports SMS forwarding. So far the rest of the features are catchup to the Nokia N95… I own an Iphone, and a nokia N95.. I like the iphone interface, but it seriously lacks a decent SMS’ing system..And is their implementation of 3G, HSDPA at 7.2 mbs… If not it’s still playing catchup to the new Nokia devices..

Posted by Troggs on June 9, 2008 at 6:07 PM (PDT)

James,

Well Apple can legitimately claim that the iPod 3G is half priced and that AT&T is the one responsible for the higher prices. Turns out though, that the consumer is paying a little more at the end of the contract (assuming two years, not longer, which will more likely be the case) for the faster package. All-in-all it is an expensive proposition—a whole lot more than a blackberry or similar handset?? Probably not. I guess it’s all relative, but I have a hard time wanting to pay $80 a month (factor in taxes and fees) for something I currently pay $35 for (family plan) + Blackberry (work issued).

Although combining 3 gizmos into one would be convenient, if not exactly comparable (I have a 60 gb iPod).

Must find way for work to issue me a 3G iPhone… *twiddles fingers scheming.

Posted by Justin S. on June 9, 2008 at 6:24 PM (PDT)

G’day, I was thrilled at first to hear about the new iphone being released next month in Australia, but I’m dissapointed at no 32 gig version. I do like the sound of the built in gps features that would be cool. any one know if the iphone has memory card capabilities??? if not I’ll wait for the next update.. I love my 32 gig ipod too much ..

Posted by Milo on June 9, 2008 at 7:06 PM (PDT)

Any news on the Bluetooth capabilities?  Has anything been done to improve the ‘crippling’ of this device?  I can see the need for Bluetooth / iSync has been displaced by mobileme, but apart from connecting to a headset, the Bluetooth capabilities (eg file exchange) of the iPhone are poor.

Posted by Iain on June 9, 2008 at 7:29 PM (PDT)

What a beautiful phone !!!

What a beautiful price !!!

Apart from Optus and Vodaphone in Australia - will the Apple dealers get access to the iphone as well in Australia ?

Posted by Ingo on June 9, 2008 at 8:37 PM (PDT)

Dear all,

Actually, I felt a little bit outrages when I learnt that Apple is releasing the new generation of iPhone. Oh, my Lord, it’s half the price of my iPhone I just bought two months ago!

But when I clam down and think about it, this so-called “upgrade” is not a really upgrade for users in the United States, it’s for other global users in countries that 3G is already a must for cell phone. In some countries, if your cell phone is not 3G, it will not work, for example, in Japan. So, that makes me feel at least a little bit better. But the huge price drop still hurts.

But yes, I agree, since all the applications can be downloaded free to the iPhone we already have, the only real difference is the memory and the 3G. To be honest, I don’t know if AT&T is going to ask for more money if the new iPhone use its 3G network. Actually, I think the answer is “yes”.

So, for now, I definitely will not upgrade to the new generation of iPhone. I will wait until the “actual” upgrade for US users.

But I’m still surprised AT&T will continue to be the exclusive carrier for iPhone. Babies, that means AT&T have been the exclusive carrier for iPhone for at least 4 years! Can we actually sue AT&T and Apple for this? I pretty much think that this is against the antitrust law.

Posted by McDull on June 9, 2008 at 9:30 PM (PDT)

apparently in Australia, any reseller wanting to sell the iPhone needs to negotiate with Optus or Vodaphone first.

i’m curious what the outright price of the iPhone in Aus is going to be if it’s going to be US$199 with AT&T with a 2 year plan.

Still haven’t decided whether to pre-order from Optus yet…..!?

Posted by yinyang on June 9, 2008 at 10:22 PM (PDT)

Just iphone, just iphone, just iphone where are the macs???

Posted by Alejandro Martínez Vega on June 9, 2008 at 11:43 PM (PDT)

McDull, the deal was initially announced as 5 year exclusivity with AT&T so I don’t htink you can. I have no doubt though, after seeing the other deals apple are making, that once the exclusivity in the UK (2 years - 1 year to go!) and USA (5 years), that apple will make it available for every single carrier.
Once that happens, the iPhone will be bigger than they could ever have imagined.
Dan x

Posted by Daniel Nicholls on June 10, 2008 at 4:01 AM (PDT)

yesterday on the belgian site it was announced for 11july… and today that has been removed (mobistar told the press 11july was a no go) leaving no date & off course pricing wasn’t available too… probably more expensive than the US price since the strength of the Euro etc…

Posted by Jo on June 10, 2008 at 4:09 AM (PDT)

It like the color upgrade. I want the 3G, GPS function, better audio but I just had my current iPhone for 9-10 month and in my area (columbus,Georgia) there is no 3G available.

The big upgrade that apple gives us is software side. I “think” I’ll wait for the software upgrade, even when my neighbor would by my iphone for $100. Im thinking on the longrun if I better stay with mine and wait to next year where apple will probly bring out a bigger hardwarechange.

The price is woow, .. impressive.

Posted by dennis on June 10, 2008 at 4:13 AM (PDT)

I’m afriad the lack of capacity has reinforced my decision to wait for the Nokia N96 (with TV capability). Roll on August.

Posted by Johnny Apathy on June 10, 2008 at 5:57 AM (PDT)

Capacity is key here. To gain significant market share in telephony, Apple needs to take the storage up to a new level.

I’m a current Verizon subscriber (because it is clearly has the best cell phone service) using an LG Voyager. The point at which I suck it up and move over to crappy AT&T is the time at which the iPhone has at least 30GB of storage capacity.

Currently, the Voyager is on par with the iPhone in many areas (and even has some features above the iPhone). I love my iPod though and would love to consolidate my music collection with my phone servce.

Posted by Chondog on June 10, 2008 at 6:03 AM (PDT)

Apple’s chief goal is not to satisfy those who plaintively cry for more storage capacity. The goal is to sell tons of iPhones, and specifically to shoot right past the 10-million mark by the end of 2008. By sticking a $199 iPhone on the market, a year after it sold for three times that amount, Apple is easily going to accomplish that goal.

As I said earlier, we’d all just LOVE to have that magic iPhone that truly represents the first Swiss Army Mobile, but it is neither profitable nor prudent for Apple to produce that at this juncture. They have an agenda here, and it’s not to beat the Nokia N96 or the LG Voyager or anything like that—they want volume sales so they can state, without equivocation, that they have dominated this market just as they dominated the mobile music player market.

The iPod had competitors for years that had certain advantages on paper (battery life, screen size/resolution, etc.) and yet it sold millions because of this very same strategy. Apple is, once again, a corporation first and foremost. They want your money a lot more than they want your undying praise.

And, Chondog, Verizon may “clearly” have the best service in your area, but in mine, AT&T is the most widespread and has reasonably consistent service.

Posted by Flippy Hambone on June 10, 2008 at 7:03 AM (PDT)

I need to follow up to point out the sheer fallacy of stating that iPhone 3G won’t help Apple gain market share. Apple sold six million iPhones at prices between $399 and $599; now they are going to sell an improved iteration of the device for far less. That, folks, is how you gobble up market share, not by getting into a gee-whiz feature war with Nokia, LG, Samsung, or the like.

Apple touted the 10 million iPhone sales target long ago, and has clearly not deviated from that. They intend to quantify their success by raw volume, not by pointing out that iPhone’s CNET review score was greater than the N95’s. C’mon, you guys, think about this a little—has Apple EVER employed a tech-oriented approach to competing? No. The company drives a message of sex appeal and simplicity and it works, for better or worse.

The casual cell phone user isn’t wowed by the iPhone’s storage capacity or its other specs. Most folks love it because, unlike other smartphones out there, it has a big, gorgeous touchscreen, with a single button on the front, and a design that is basic but beautiful. Everyone who is hung up on features is forgetting where Apple’s target market truly is.

Posted by Flippy Hambone on June 10, 2008 at 7:19 AM (PDT)

The iPhone finally gets 3G, but still lacks basics like MMS and voice dialing? And still comes with AT&T enslavement?

Pass (again) ... I’m better off with a cheap unlocked phone (that can act as a modem) + iBook.

Posted by The Doctor on June 10, 2008 at 7:39 AM (PDT)

I totally disagree with your assessment that Apple is going after the “casual cell phone user”. The average person on the street (aka, casual) is getting their “free phone every two years” Samsung. They’re not buying smartphones (even at reduced prices). Heck, if Apple was going after the average cell phone user, they would’ve offered more camera features.

Further, I hardly consider increased storage capacity a “gee-whiz” feature. Looking back through the archives on this site, including the many weekly polls, an iPhone with more storage capacity is at the top of the wish list.

Posted by Chondog on June 10, 2008 at 7:39 AM (PDT)

WHAT A SURPRISE.  Yet again, Apple intentionally leaves out numerous practical and fun features (most of which are very available on other phones).

The one that kills me the most is the storage size.  I realize that the Iphone is revolutionary and better than any other phone in many ways, particularly media management and media playing.  I know they have the tech to give my enough gigs for all of my music.  Its frustrating to have half of the amount of space that I need to carry as much music as I want, solely so Apple can turn a bigger profit.

P.S. Considering that my WinMo pda was just stolen and I already have AT&T, you can essentially pencil me in as a future Iphone 3g owner.  It’s still so great in most ways that I can’t buy any WinMo or Blackberry device instead.  that would be just plain dumb. (UGH.)

Posted by Matt Stone on June 10, 2008 at 7:45 AM (PDT)

Page 3 of 5 pages  <  1 2 3 4 5 >