Apple introduces next-generation iPhone 3G | iLounge News

Apple introduces next-generation iPhone 3G

image

Apple today introduced the long-awaited second-generation iPhone, dubbed the iPhone 3G. The new phone features a glossy, full-plastic rear casing, which is thinner on the sides than the current version, metal buttons, and a flush headphone jack. As expected, the iPhone 3G retains the 3.5-inch touch screen of the original, and adds support for 3G wireless networking (tri-band HSDPA), as well as assisted GPS. According to Apple, the iPhone 3G offers 300 hours of standby time, 10 hours of 2G talk time, 5 hours of 3G talk time “versus 3-3.5 on competing products,” 5-6 hours of high-speed web browsing, 7 hours of video playback, and 24 hours of audio playback. The new iPhone 3G will be available in 70 countries later this year, beginning with customer availability in 22 countries—Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, UK and the US—on July 11. It will sell for $199 for the 8GB model (black only) and $299 for the 16GB model (available in black or white).

“Just one year after launching the iPhone, we’re launching the new iPhone 3G that is twice as fast at half the price,” said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. “iPhone 3G supports Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync right out of the box, runs the incredible third party apps created with the iPhone SDK, and will be available in more than 70 countries around the world this year.”

image

image

« iPhone Software 2.0: new features, coming early July

Transcript of 2008 WWDC Keynote Address »

Comments

I didn’t characterize increased capacity specifically as a gee-whiz feature, but please show me an other cell phone out there that has more than 16 GB available onboard flash memory and still weighs only a few ounces. Personally, while I do love my 80 GB iPod Video, I have no desire to have a cell phone with that girth and heft in my pocket, nor do I particularly care to have tens of thousands of songs on my cell phone. Like I said, we’d all love to have an iPhone with gigabytes upon gigabytes of storage, but feasibility and design put constraints on that.

I’ve operated with 8 GB quite comfortably for over a year. Would I love to have more? Sure. But I’m walking around right now with two full-length movies, about 700 songs, and room to spare for some apps. If I decide I want more music, I’ll go sync it up the way I want. No biggie for me, or for anyone in this mobile age.

And if Apple is NOT going after the casual cell phone user, then why does the company endeavor to enter this marketplace at all? Half of the people I know who have iPhones right now ditched a RAZR or a similar, rudimentary mobile. They certainly weren’t going after the smartphone market without Exchange support and without a tactile keyboard.

Posted by Flippy Hambone on June 10, 2008 at 7:50 AM (PDT)

Hi Dan,

I definitely agree with you.

Apple always makes magic toys. Just as the Sony Walkman revoluntionize the way we listened to music, iPod revolutionize it once more, though this time, with a magic touch. As time passes by and when Apple is forced to stop keep holding up the market by separating the niche of iPod and iPhone, as well as Apple makes it available for every single carrier, I pretty much think that iPhone will monopolize the phone market just as the way Microsoft monopolized the software market.

Posted by McDull on June 10, 2008 at 7:55 AM (PDT)

I have seen the key note speech and I was wondering… as there was no comments on a new iPod Touch or a price drop, does this mean this is unlikely to happen in the next few months or could this be announced at some later point during the WWDC?

Posted by Sam on June 10, 2008 at 8:33 AM (PDT)

Bit a disappointing really.  3G should have been on the iPhone v.1 so it is a late welcome on v.2.  Still laughingly-limited storage.  For the European market it is still far too expensive and what where they thinking about not upgrading the 2meg pixel camera?

Posted by John on June 10, 2008 at 10:01 AM (PDT)

Will all due respect, I will never understand the storage capacity complaints. Who ever needs 5000+ songs and 100 movies in their pocket at any given time? Remember… it wasn’t all that long ago when people carried huge discs around called “cds” that only had… gasp… 12 or so songs on them. And they had to play these discs on even larger cd players… that didn’t even fit in a pocket! (You call that portable???) It was like hauling around a Tombstone pizza all day. (Mmmm… pizza.)

I’m not trying to be a smartass here (well, maybe a little), but let’s get some perspective on how amazing this product actually is.

Posted by thelottery on June 10, 2008 at 10:26 AM (PDT)

Drats… typo in the very first word. I meant “With”.

Posted by thelottery on June 10, 2008 at 10:28 AM (PDT)

Does anyone know if AT&T stores will be accepting the $100 Apple Store vouchers given to iPhone 1.0 early adopters towards the purchase of a 3G iPhone? If they are, I could probably be persuaded to upgrade.

Posted by Brad on June 10, 2008 at 11:33 AM (PDT)

thelottery gets it. I feel like Allen Iverson: “We talkin’ about PRACTICE.” In this case, though, we talkin’ about CELL PHONE STORAGE CAPACITY (doesn’t have quite the same ring). My Treo 650, which immediately preceded my launch iPhone, had 64 MB of onboard memory, and you could put in an SD card to bump it up to a whopping 512 MB or so. And it was pitifully slow.

Now, granted, there’s a 32 MB iPod Touch floating around out there, but this brings me back to another point I made earlier: Apple does not want one of its products to cannibalize sales of another. You’ve got the Nano for the exercise junkies, the Classic for the folks who just hoard media files, the Touch for those who want the iPhone’s technology without the telephony, and the iPhone for those who like a nice mix. Disrupt that delicate balance, and you risk rupturing the revenue stream.

Apple has a very clear path here, and now that yesterday’s announcement is in the rear-view mirror, you can really begin to understand it. The first iPhone was the expensive hype machine. The second one is the modestly-priced fuel to keep it going. The next one will arrive soon enough, and will be designed to keep the attention of the first- and second-gen buyers with enhanced features and possibly a more dramatic redesign.

I predict 32 GB for $299 by Christmas. Those who clamor for more storage will get their wish and the 8 GB will be phased out.

Posted by Flippy Hambone on June 10, 2008 at 11:48 AM (PDT)

Good posts - low ‘flame rate’  some comments on things I didn’t see commented on:

1. Storage space - they ‘can’t’ put in 32gig as they only have space for one chip in the current design, and 2 chips in the touch - that’s why it has higher capacity - they will probably have a 32gig, but only when one chip is reasonable.

2. Missing New Features - The rumor mill took the phone to new features - but doing so would be a problem for Apple - then you end up with multiple versions of apps and other issues - so I am disappointed, but it makes sense.  Don’t think upping the basic camera resolution would be one of those issues, but certainly the ‘video conferencing’ camera would be.

3. Feature Comparisons - I am pretty into gadgets, and many of us on iLounge or engadget, or whereever, are not just casual users.  As a gadget hound, I want the fastest processor, the best replaceable battery, the fastest 3G, best camera with video - and there are other choices that are better.  However, when I finally went to an iPod and then a Touch, I actually used all the features I bought, rather than brag about something I could do, but really didn’t bother to do.  I have 1 movie on my Motorola Q - I was excited to be able to do it, and I never watched it all, and never bothered to do it again.  When I see 60 year olds using their iPhone on planes, you see the power to make change happen, not just please us geeks.

See you in line on July 11th, and then again in November complaining about the price drop and capacity increases…

Posted by globetoole on June 10, 2008 at 1:02 PM (PDT)

Here’s my two cents. I think that apple deliberately didn’t release the video recording application. I say this because with the release of the app store, they now have a chance to get a little extra money. It is possible to have video recording, just look at jailbroken iPhones, so apple must know that. To me, I think that all the things we really want we’re going to have to buy them in the app store. As for the capacity, I’m a little bit irked, but that’s apple for you. And if all else fails, you can jailbreak your iPhone.

Posted by Joe Granelli on June 10, 2008 at 1:15 PM (PDT)

It sure is interesting to take a “Total Cost of Ownership” view.

New iPhone: $199 (for 8GB of storage), plus $70 per month for a basic voice plan (presumably the same 450 minutes) and unlimited data. Two-year total: $1,879.

“Business users” get the shaft, big-time, with a minimum of $85 a month for service. That’s $15 a month extra just so you can get email via Exchange.

Posted by Matt on June 10, 2008 at 2:11 PM (PDT)

Joe>

It’s been widely explained that most apps through the App Store are going to be free with mostly games being the ones you’ll have to pay for.

Matt>

Exchange email is not going to be reserved for strictly business users.  It will be standard in the iPhone OS.

Posted by Rob on June 10, 2008 at 2:45 PM (PDT)

Hey guys,

I just started an online petition to Apple and AT&T, asking them to reconsider their new purchasing policies for the iPhone 3G. Lets make our voices heard, just so they know that we do not agree with the policies.

Thanks,
Alfonso Olvera

Posted by Alfonso Olvera on June 10, 2008 at 5:33 PM (PDT)

The cost of the new iPhone is NOT going up $10 each month. It’s going up by $15 per month. The 200 Text Messages you got w/ the 2G iPhone now have to be paid for as a separate package.

That $30 gets you web and email only now.

Posted by WiPod on June 10, 2008 at 5:44 PM (PDT)

lol, you people are upset about the camera. I CAN’T EVEN USE ONE!!! ATT coverage is completely laughable where I live, and EEEEVVVERRRYYYOOONEE has verizon (and i work for a verizon retailer) so me making the switch is basically impossible. It sucks.

Posted by ecsacker6306 on June 10, 2008 at 8:37 PM (PDT)

No deal for me.  I can’t believe:

1) No better camera.  Photos taken on the current one indoors are appalling quality.

2) No 32GB.

3) Still no copy/paste

4) Still no forwarding of text messages

Also the AppStore and 2.0 firmware, which to me ARE nice features, are not unique to the new iPhone, they’ll be available on the old one and Touch too.

I don’t get 3G where I am, and I already have SatNav, so I have NO reason to upgrade, even though O2 here in the UK will let me do so for free, if I just extend me current contract.

Posted by Mark McRobie on June 11, 2008 at 2:05 AM (PDT)

Guys,

You seem to be missing the point entirely.

Apple has sold very few iphones in the UK and the rest of Europe BECAUSE it had no 3G.  GPRS is laughably slow and no-one who really knew anything about how data is used over the internet bought one, apart from the early adopter tech geeks, and they mostly complained about it.

The camera feature on most phones is only used for fun, and many organizations won’t even let you through the door with a camera on you, look at most of the blackberries or the high end Nokia smartphones, and be honest, when did you ever really use the camera on your phone other than to take a picture of someone to link to your address book?  Did you do it for everyone once the novelty had worn off?  I didn’t think so.

Memory?  the best you can get on the Nokia N95 is 16GB, and you have to add an 8Gb chip to get that. Do most of us really need 32Gb? probably not.  I don’t have time to look at movies on the move, and I usually listen to the radio in the car.  If I travel on planes/trains etc, I have my notebook, far preferable to see a movie on that than try and squint at it on a 3.5’ screen, especially with my eyes…...

The latest version is specifically aimed at Europe and other parts of the world where we have a working, high coverage 3g network.  it is aimed at getting us to where the iphone hype took the USA to a year ago.

See you in the queue on the 11th!

Posted by Rick Player on June 11, 2008 at 2:34 AM (PDT)

I dont care about no MMS, I never used it and its cheaper and better to send an email.
No flash.
Any heads up on cut and paste?
But as for no video on a 3G phone??? What the hell are they thinking.

I said I would wait until at least a 32 gb phone was available but i must admit im itching even though it wont fit much stuff. A micro SD card or something that could make it expandable would have been good. but i suppose they need an upgrade path for future sales

Also where is the milk frothing attachment & bean grinder?

Posted by Funky Love Bunny on June 11, 2008 at 6:34 AM (PDT)

As it was pointed out earlier, I think video capture is going to be available from the Apps Store. That feature has been “unlocked” on Jailbroken iPhones already, so I fully expect that feature to be available to those who want it later. Now, should we have to pay for it? That’s arguable.

I agree with Funky Love Bunny regarding MMS. I prefer emailing photos, although I will say that one frustration I have had with the iPhone is its inability to email more than one photo attachment at a time. For this reason, I would also like to see email groups made possible.

A while back, there were video clips floating around that suggested cut-and-paste was not only doable, but very much in the cards. Why it hasn’t been implemented or discussed by Apple is anyone’s guess, but I agree that this is a feature that the iPhone sorely needs.

I do use the iPhone camera quite a bit to take photos of my son. I’d love to see it improved in the next version, not just with a resolution upgrade but also with a simple flashbulb.

All told, though, the iPhone 3G is what I anticipated: modest and minor changes, with enough enhancements to push more product and yet keep people wanting more. Jobs has become such a tease. :D

Posted by Flippy Hambone on June 11, 2008 at 7:30 AM (PDT)

You bunch of $#%# whiners, always complaining about what it doesn’t do instead of focusing on what it does do and better than most any smart phone out there.  Wouldn’t it be great if it had everything you wanted then you’d be complaining how you’d have to actually pay for the unit and that it should be FREE lol sure most of the cheaper phones might have those features but can they do half of what the iPhone does? its easy anyone can make a good phone at a high price, but to make it at the new price, thats something we should all be thanking Apple for, always raising the bar and you’ll be sure they’ll add those missing features in the future, give them some time.

Posted by Steve Jobbs on June 11, 2008 at 8:12 AM (PDT)

Page 4 of 5 pages « First  <  2 3 4 5 >