Apple introduces next-generation iPhone 3G | iLounge News

Apple introduces next-generation iPhone 3G

image

Apple today introduced the long-awaited second-generation iPhone, dubbed the iPhone 3G. The new phone features a glossy, full-plastic rear casing, which is thinner on the sides than the current version, metal buttons, and a flush headphone jack. As expected, the iPhone 3G retains the 3.5-inch touch screen of the original, and adds support for 3G wireless networking (tri-band HSDPA), as well as assisted GPS. According to Apple, the iPhone 3G offers 300 hours of standby time, 10 hours of 2G talk time, 5 hours of 3G talk time “versus 3-3.5 on competing products,” 5-6 hours of high-speed web browsing, 7 hours of video playback, and 24 hours of audio playback. The new iPhone 3G will be available in 70 countries later this year, beginning with customer availability in 22 countries—Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, UK and the US—on July 11. It will sell for $199 for the 8GB model (black only) and $299 for the 16GB model (available in black or white).

“Just one year after launching the iPhone, we’re launching the new iPhone 3G that is twice as fast at half the price,” said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. “iPhone 3G supports Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync right out of the box, runs the incredible third party apps created with the iPhone SDK, and will be available in more than 70 countries around the world this year.”

image

image

« iPhone Software 2.0: new features, coming early July

Transcript of 2008 WWDC Keynote Address »

Comments

I would love to have an iPhone 3G. It’s pretty much everything I want. The only problem is that it still costs too much. In fact, as we know now, it costs more. The monthly fee increase is more significant than the drop in price of the hardware. I can’t afford an iPhone until the monthly fee is $30 or less, preferably $20 or less. I would take a pay-as-you-go voice service, with unlimited data. Actually, I’d even except limits on data. I rarely use my cell phone - only for emergency calls and the occasional pizza order call-ahead or “honey I’m stuck in traffic” call. With a plan that services that kind of need, Steve could say that he’d made the iPhone “more affordable”. At $70+ per month, the iPhone is in no way, shape or form affordable. I guess I’ll be stuck with my iPod Touch and a pay-as-you-go cell phone for some time to come.

Posted by sjonke in Maryland, US on June 11, 2008 at 11:36 AM (CDT)

Here’s a question that no one has posted yet.  On June 6th, there were pictures posted of a box sent to an Australian reseller from Apple that instructed them not to open it until June 10th.  It’s now June 11th…what was in the box?

Posted by Rob on June 11, 2008 at 12:23 PM (CDT)

An iPhone 3G sample with the serial number L4815162342

Posted by TosaDeac on June 11, 2008 at 12:58 PM (CDT)

I’m moving to Amsterdam Netherlands in a couple of days.
Anybody got infos about what will be the price from T-Mobile ?
Price for the 8 gigs and for the 16 gigs.

Thanks a lot !

Posted by KooG on June 11, 2008 at 1:07 PM (CDT)

Yeah, like a lot of users out there I was disappointed by the announcement. I mean if Apple really wants to blow the competition away you could start by at least giving iPhone users what the competition already does. Why do we know have MMS? Or forwarding features? Why no video camera? Only a 2mp camera? Don’t get me wrong, I have one of the original iPhones and I love it but I can’t believe that Apple is ignoring the complaints of there customers and simply skipping over basic cell phone features. I’ll admit, the new features sound cool but I’m not about to drop $200 for a phone that still doesn’t offer half of the features that a cheap Motorola RZR ($50) can get me.

And don’t even get me started with the huge data plan increases. That was nice how they totally ignored that little fact. I mean $30 or $45 depending on your choice…that’s crazy. My current plan I pay $10. I’m surprised Apple didn’t even address that. Madness!!

Oh well, I guess I’ll be sticking with my regular iPhone instead of the disappointing 3G. Sad cause I was really looking forward to getting one if it had the all above mentioned features - especially at that price. I’d still have to think about that data plan rates though. Wow.

Posted by Chris on June 11, 2008 at 2:53 PM (CDT)

First, know that I am no software developer, so if this question seems silly, be gentle.  What are the odds that 1) all software features were NOT revealed on Monday and 2) additional features might be added before July 11th (i.e. MMS, copy/paste, and the other features that we’ve been BEGGING for)?

Posted by Ian Rinestine on June 11, 2008 at 3:35 PM (CDT)

Since they canged their politics to sell the new phone only after signing a AT§T contract, how can I upgrade to the new iphone? Do I need TWO contracts then? Will they beleive me when I say I already have one? Do I have to carry in my sim-card? Is mailordeing an iphone history?

Posted by DaFaT1 on June 12, 2008 at 8:27 AM (CDT)

I’m kinda jumping on the bandwagon a little late here, but I can’t help but think “Big Whoop” about all this!

I’m over here in the UK and although our monthly price plans don’t appear to have changed I still feel somewhat under-whelmed.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m still tempted, but won’t be getting one as I still have 12 months on my current contract to go. I thought from the outset of version 1 that I would possibly buy in from version 3 (which is when I got my first iPod) as I think that would be about the point when they really start to get things right.

BUT…

I can’t help but feel this is STILL a flawed product. No forwarding of text messages, only a 2meg camera, no front camera (which I thought you HAD to have by law over here to qualify as being a 3G phone!?), no copy and paste and possibly the biggy for me, is still no Flash compatibility!!!!!!!!!!

I can’t quite believe the fact that seem to be really plugging the cut price of it over there in the US but really trying to cover up the fact that on a month to month (and ultimately over the contract term) basis it will cost you more!

Anyway, enought moans, it DOES look like a sexy product and I am sure it will do very veryy well, but I’m STILL holding out for the next version which I’m sure will be the real breakthru (or else it will start to fall I feel).

Posted by Matt G on June 12, 2008 at 9:05 AM (CDT)

I would have loved to see video conferencing but the EDGE network would not allow that. Si it would prb. just work fine via wireless network.

copy/paste function is not really a must but i think this is not that hard to implement in the iPhone.

MMS, will take a little bit more time to develope but should not have been excluded.

I was buring to get the new iPhone, i asked around to see who will by my 1st. gen iPhone and found people who going to pay $150. even yesterday i get bugged by a friend for selling the iPhone to his buddy.

Now I’ve seen what it got and what not. For $199 it’s a nice shot IF ATT 3G network would be available where im at. I’m 1 1/2 away from atlanta, called Fort Benning/ Columbus and there is no 3G.

so just for GPS, better audio, and a new case .. im still not sure if i’m actl. get me one, PLUS ATT will raise the monthly data price too !!

i’m tending more not to get it because of lack of features and ATT 3G coverage.

Posted by dennis on June 12, 2008 at 12:34 PM (CDT)

Some folks just don’t get the phone subsidies. The iPhone is now the same as if you purchase any smart phone. The $199 is after the subsidization. You pay $199 to Apple, ATT pays something to Apple. Typically, it is $250. Apple no longer gets a percentage of the monthly fee, something like $17/month for a new subscriber. See ATT’s News Release: http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/specials/en/iPhone_3G_FINAL.pdf

Unfortunately, you must sign up for the plan before leaving the store just like any other phone purchase.

I wonder how much the iPhone will cost if I cancel the plan immediately and don’t return the phone. Supposedly, you pay the full retail price. Right now it is not listed. Afterwards there is a $175 termination fee.

I am hoping I can buy a used 2G iPhone so I can unlock it and use it without a full plan like ATT prepaid Go. Anyone selling?

Posted by Al C on June 12, 2008 at 12:45 PM (CDT)

I have a Blackberry Curve. Most people around here have Verizon. I have ATT. The way my kids text no iphones for us!! We need SMS and text forwarding. We all have BB’s. Do it better Apple and we will buy the iphone. We have six ipods now with four people. 5 macs. Proud to be Blackberry!!!!

Posted by Christine R on June 13, 2008 at 12:04 AM (CDT)

Do we know if it includes stereo bluetooth?

Posted by trunkguy on June 13, 2008 at 11:34 AM (CDT)

The only thing keeping me from buying an iPhone is the lack of storage. It’d be so nice to have all the features an iPhone has along with 160GB of space. Why is it so hard?

I keep thinking back to the iPhone commercial where the guy is talking about how nice it is to grab one gadget in the morning instead of a separate mp3 player, a separate cell phone, and a separate camera. Until there is more space on the iPhone I’ll have to keep grabbing my 3 gadgets.

Posted by Cristina on June 13, 2008 at 1:31 PM (CDT)

I just chatted with somebody on the AT+T site and they said that I can just purchase an iPhone on July 11th and change the data plan then because I just bought a Sony z750a (which is pretty good and only $50 after rebate) and it will take place of the 2 year contract I just signed (so I won’t be locked into a 4 year contract).  The only thing I’m really worried about is the sound quality of the iPhone.  I bought an original iPhone as soon as they came out and the call quality was horrible.  I might wait to see what everybody else says first.  My Sony may not be nearly as nice as the iPhone, but for making calls, playing music and reading email it’s perfect.

Posted by Scott on June 14, 2008 at 10:28 AM (CDT)

Page 5 of 5 pages ‹ First  < 3 4 5