Apple intros 1GB iPod nano, drops shuffle price | iLounge News

Apple intros 1GB iPod nano, drops shuffle price

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Tuesday, February 7, 2006
News Categories: iPod nano

imageApple today introduced a new 1GB iPod nano that offers the same features and form factor as the current 2GB and 4GB models for $149. The new lower-capacity nano, which was predicted by analysts, holds up to 240 songs or 15,000 photos. It is available immediately.

Apple also cut iPod shuffle prices by $30. The 512MB model now sells for $69 and the 1GB shuffle is now priced at $99.

“Now everyone can afford an iPod nano, with our new 1GB model starting at just $149,” said Greg Joswiak, Apple’s vice president of Worldwide iPod Product Marketing. “The iPod is the world’s most popular digital music player with over 40 million sold, and now even more music lovers can experience the unrivaled combination of iPod and iTunes.”

[Note: iLounge’s comprehensive iPod nano review now includes new photos and details on the differences between the 1GB nano and its 2GB/4GB predecessors.]

« Showtime added to iTunes; Video downloads top 12 million

Pacific Rim now shipping iCradle »

Comments

Ugh.  I just ordered a 1gb shuffle the other day and now the price drops.. :(  Oh well.

I still would pick the shuffle over the nano.  I use it for running and simply don’t want the extra size/weight of a nano.  Plus I wouldn’t look at the screen anyway while it’s on my arm.  For bigger needs I already have a 20gb 4g.

Posted by schnikies79 in evansville, in on February 7, 2006 at 10:57 AM (PDT)

This is just what I’ve been waiting for. I have a 4gb nano and I love it. I also have 60 year old mother who can barely make a call on a cell phone. I’ve been wanting to get her a low capacity flash player for her to use while she goes walking. No way in the world would I have bought her a screenless shuffle. She would have been to confused. The 1gb nano is the perfect capacity, size and price. I know (hope) she’ll be able to use it. Since the iPod is the simplist player out there. The perfect mother’s day present. I’m going to get this for her and fill it with her favorite albums smile Perfect!

Posted by Glorybox3737 on February 7, 2006 at 12:08 PM (PDT)

let’s hope she can read the screen!

Posted by sighte on February 7, 2006 at 12:44 PM (PDT)

I think it’s a great move by apple, now everyone can experience the iPod at a lesser price.  It’s a good starter for someone who never experience iPod before and will eventually may lead whoever is interested on a bigger memory iPod.

Posted by Oliver on February 7, 2006 at 1:20 PM (PDT)

Now Apple has to released a 8GB Nano.

Posted by Clumsy on February 7, 2006 at 1:50 PM (PDT)

Two questions:
1 - Does this have the shuffle audio chip?
2 - Does it scratch like the earlier nano’s?

Posted by itchy and scratchy on February 7, 2006 at 1:54 PM (PDT)

LAME!
Make it a 6GB and I’ll buy it. 1Gig is SO little! It’s great if you have like, 3 songs.
This is what the shuffle was for- not having very much.
Not the nano- THAT was the “cute one” that actually had a capacity.
Bad move, apple.

Posted by Noah Gomberg on February 7, 2006 at 2:11 PM (PDT)

last time I checked they didn’t discontinue the 4gb nanos

it’s a buisness world, try not to see it so one sided

Posted by an independent ipod user on February 7, 2006 at 3:01 PM (PDT)

Meh a 1 GB Nano Boohoo. When they start making Nano’s with 60GB of memory thats the time when ill get excited.

Posted by roger767 on February 7, 2006 at 3:18 PM (PDT)

>Now Apple has to released a 8GB Nano.<

Should be 8 and 16. I started out with a Creative TXFM 1 GB. Just got the 4GB Nano.Looking forward to 16GB Nano w/ bluetooth and built in FM tuner. (well..I can dream. Right?)

Posted by LG on February 7, 2006 at 3:20 PM (PDT)

Really i havent seen that yet…. hahhahhahah ya right!!! :0

Posted by ipoder555 on February 7, 2006 at 3:55 PM (PDT)

This is great for someone who wants to buy their first mp3 player. Thats probably what Apple was trying to accomplish when they decided to put this out on the market. Seriously, anyone who’s ever owned any kind of mp3 player before would never buy this. Apple just wants more people to experience the iPod.
The price cut of the shuffle could be part of that too.

Posted by curveball429 on February 7, 2006 at 4:09 PM (PDT)

I had the original iPod and after getting tried from lugging that brick around I got a 1 GB shuffle. 1GB is plenty, that’s 21 hours of music. I’ll never listen to my shuffle for 21 hours in a row (the battery doesn’t even last that long). All I really miss from my old iPod are the contacts and calendar features. So now I’m getting a 1GB nano to replace my 1GB shuffle. 21 hours of music, contacts, calendar, small enough that I don’t fell like I have a Newton in my pocket, and cheap.

Face it, for some of us, it’s the perfect iPod.

Posted by marcintosh on February 7, 2006 at 4:36 PM (PDT)

1GB seems a little small for a pod with a screen. The reason to have a screen IMHO is if (a) you’ve got basically all your favourite songs and you want to choose or (b) you’ve got podcasts or other specific content that you need to select.

1GB is nowhere near enough for (a), and it’s a bit hard to organize your podcasts and music carefully enough to fit in a good selection of songs and your latest podcasts. So it seems very marginal for that use.

Still, small capacity flash MP3 players are big in Asia etc, and Apple had to fill this niche, so cudos for taking it up to the competition again. This may be big in Asia, but it is a very entry level product.

Posted by Countach on February 7, 2006 at 6:05 PM (PDT)

I’m slightly irritated at some of the more recent posters: “is there still going to be a shuffle?” and “the price difference between the shuffle and nano is $50, so who would buy this?” Here’s a tip: read the PARAGRAPH-LONG article at the top before you comment.

As for the new nano, YES! I’ve always loved the look of the nano, and wanted one ever since it came out, but thought it would be ridiculous to buy one along with my 30gb video, especially at the $250 price point. But this is perfect! I’m SO excited.

Posted by Lark on February 7, 2006 at 6:48 PM (PDT)

I like the concept of making iPods even more accessible, but I just don’t like the fact that they have two different players of the same capacity on the market.  Sure, they’re totally different, but they should keep them separate for separate markets like they had been doing before.  The only way I think the 1GB nano makes the most sense is if they got rid of the shuffle completely, which I wouldn’t want to happen.  It was just better the way it was, with each iPod having two capacity and price points to choose from.  This is partly a step in the right direction, but it seems too disorganized.  It comes off simply as another way for Apple to rake in the millions and not as a real, calculated attempt to change the iPod family for the beter.

Posted by M. le Pod on February 7, 2006 at 7:45 PM (PDT)

This is a good move, hoping in half a year or so, Apple would release something in between Video/Nano and Shuffle still remains..
...mini return with more colors to choose from, radio integrated, scratch resistant, FLASH based instead of hardrive…8 or 12 Gig would be nice :D
double the size of the original….

Posted by Demonoid on February 7, 2006 at 7:56 PM (PDT)

The shuffle is the ideal USB stick. A lot of people have bought it for this functionality (me too!).

I expected a combination of nano and shuffle: one that has a screen as the nano, but it can occupy a USB port without any wires etc.

Sure, the $150 nano is tempting, with colour screen, photos, playlists and more control over playback, but I’d never abandon my shuffle.

Posted by KenGR on February 7, 2006 at 8:37 PM (PDT)

It’s quite amusing that there are some people here who cannot comprehend why anyone would even want a screen for a player of such low capacity, when not too long ago, people were condemning the shuffle as a bit of a joke for not having a screen when a lot of the other its competitors did… looks like you just can’t please some people.

I too think it’s a good move. At the lower end of the market, you now have the shuffles for all you people out there who want to subject your ipods to a bit of abuse, and the bar for buying an ipod nano, which has a much wider public appeal, has just been lowered further so that more people can buy them.

Sure a higher capacity nano would be good, but I suppose that will have to wait

Posted by Popjunkie in Singapore on February 7, 2006 at 8:49 PM (PDT)

I have a 30gb 5G and a 1gb Shuffle. I do not want a Nano for any reason. If I can’t watch my favorite TV shows on my iPod, all I want to do is listen to music. Plus, the shuffle is SO useful here at school because I use it as a flash drive all the time. And, I am 100% not worried about the shuffle getting broken. I love it, and usually have both with me anyway. I can’t imagine carrying 3 iPods… A video iPod and a Shuffle=a perfect pair!

Posted by CC on February 7, 2006 at 9:17 PM (PDT)

Page 2 of 3 pages  <  1 2 3 >