Apple intros 1GB iPod nano, drops shuffle price | iLounge News

Apple intros 1GB iPod nano, drops shuffle price

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Tuesday, February 7, 2006
News Categories: iPod nano

imageApple today introduced a new 1GB iPod nano that offers the same features and form factor as the current 2GB and 4GB models for $149. The new lower-capacity nano, which was predicted by analysts, holds up to 240 songs or 15,000 photos. It is available immediately.

Apple also cut iPod shuffle prices by $30. The 512MB model now sells for $69 and the 1GB shuffle is now priced at $99.

“Now everyone can afford an iPod nano, with our new 1GB model starting at just $149,” said Greg Joswiak, Apple’s vice president of Worldwide iPod Product Marketing. “The iPod is the world’s most popular digital music player with over 40 million sold, and now even more music lovers can experience the unrivaled combination of iPod and iTunes.”

[Note: iLounge’s comprehensive iPod nano review now includes new photos and details on the differences between the 1GB nano and its 2GB/4GB predecessors.]

« Showtime added to iTunes; Video downloads top 12 million

Pacific Rim now shipping iCradle »

Comments

I know that the Nano does not have an A/V out in the headphone jack, and thus not show photos on the TV through that port. However, can a nano show photos through an A/V dock?

thanks!

Posted by consumer_Q on February 7, 2006 at 9:42 PM (PDT)

Hmm…

I don’t think having a cheaper nano is a bad idea, but here is my two cents…

I do not want to sound conceited or rude, but nano’s seemed very classy, their price ensured those who owned them had saved up the money, or had a really great gift.  The shuffle I am indifferent to in all honesty.  Sounds great for running.

Really, though, I feel that it cheapens the nano to make it smaller and more accessible.  There is something to be said for a price that ensures those who own them really want them and are not buying on an impulse.

I do not own a nano, but a video—It is probably a wonderful little machine, and I hate to see it lessened.  If that makes any sense.

Posted by Violet on February 7, 2006 at 10:23 PM (PDT)

I hear you Violet. But to me this is just impulse buying at it’s best (or worst depending on one’s particular situation). I don’t know why, but as soon as I read about this I wanted to go and order a Nano. I don’t need it. I have a 60 GB iPod video, but like I said, impulse buying at it’s best/worst. I now try to convince myself that I would just get a Nano and at the very least, use it as a jump drive of sorts.

Posted by Tenchi211 in California on February 7, 2006 at 10:46 PM (PDT)

Violet: I have to disagree with you. Your standpoint makes sense from the viewpoint of a nano owner, but it makes little sense from Apple’s perspective. Apple’s release of the 1GB nano is a perfect response to those voices who felt the Shuffle was far too inadequate a player.

Tenchi211: maybe for some it’s impulse buying, but for me a flash DAP is the perfect way to tote tunes around on short trips, or to use when in a dirty environment. I really, REALLY like all of my HD iPods (well, aside from the stinker battery charge life), but I’ve always felt uneasy about using them in my workshop, and would never again choose them when doing powered yardwork during the middle of a dry, dusty summer. A flash AAC DAP with minimal moving parts works nicely; one with a screen is far better (which is why I chucked my Shuffle for a 4GB nano as soon as it was available).

(For those of you crying about how stupid a move this is, you should keep in mind Apple would not have done this if they weren’t already aware of how many people are just plain dissatisfied with the Shuffle concept.)

It’s a logical move, but that’s me. The new nano takes over the original price point of the 1GB Shuffle; for those who want to save a few bucks and don’t need the extra capacity (a second AAC player to go with a HD iPod, for instance, but this time not dumbed down like the Stuffle), it makes reasonable sense.

Frankly, sifting through 220-270 songs on a Scuffle is a pain in the butt if your listening habits tend to a specific album in sequence, as I often do with classical music; forgive me, but I just can’t get used to listening to a Bach piano concerto out of sequence, or worse yet, IN sequence with the Dead Kennedys or Death Angel. It must be age; I simply can’t get into to the bipolar mood swings anymore.

For visually-dependant people like me, a screen is an absolute MUST with any portable player with decent cap. I say it’s too bad Apple didn’t figure this out this time last year when the Spuffle was introduced; well, at least I have an extra 3GB with the nano I did buy to retire that foul Snuffle. If it only had an intergrated radio receiver…well, there’s always the next-gen.

Posted by flatline response on February 8, 2006 at 2:44 AM (PDT)

i think they should have made it even smaller because they could have or atleast lower the price more

Posted by taboo8614 in Livonia, MI on February 8, 2006 at 6:33 AM (PDT)

I’ll buy a Shuffle.

Posted by Gordy. in Atlanta, GA on February 8, 2006 at 7:09 AM (PDT)

Exellent point flatline response. I too use my iPod in a dirty environment where a Nano would be perfect! I tend to baby my 60 GB too much and having a Nano would be best in my particular situation. And I agree, it’s a logical move for Apple still made even more logical in my opinion because of the impulse buying factor which is hard to ignore. I believe they are going to sell a ton of 1 GB Nanos for this reason. I know of quite a few people who wanted iPods for the holiday and balked at the price (if they were able to find them). This puts those people in the game and they will end up buying now.

Posted by Tenchi211 in California on February 8, 2006 at 9:20 AM (PDT)

Violet,

If I’d carried your same haugtiness about how much an ipod should cost/who can afford one, I wouldn’t have stood for the release of the ipod nano.

I dropped $399 for my first 15GB 3G over 2 years ago.  You didn’t pay as much as me… Why should you be allowed an ipod today?  raspberry

It’s silly.  I saved a lot longer for something that wasn’t even on most people’s radars at the time.  I’m glad the $150 nano’s out now.  Cheap ipods let us put them into the hands of those who don’t need to have their hands on expensive HDD based ipods (any kids/adults who don’t realize that HDDs break when dropped)

Posted by dvddesign on February 8, 2006 at 11:27 AM (PDT)

long time member here..

shuffle is for poor people. hehe nano with a screen is a great alternative.

btw - if ur a gym nut - evo3 case works great with my video 60gb

Posted by gaberdd on February 8, 2006 at 11:46 AM (PDT)

Here’s something interesting:

With Apple’s Education Discount, the new nano costs just as much as the 1gb shuffle did 2 days ago.

Posted by curveball429 on February 8, 2006 at 12:18 PM (PDT)

has anyone considered that not everyone has a ton of music and needs lots of space.  I own a 6gb mini and all my music is on it and its not even filled.  My sister owns like ten cds, she dosen’t need anything with as much space.

Posted by jbcow on February 8, 2006 at 3:55 PM (PDT)

“Am I the only one who likes having a combo of a Shuffle and a regular iPod?”
By M3wThr33 on 02.07.06 at 06:19 AM

No, I prefer this combo too:)

Posted by Black Beauty on February 8, 2006 at 5:00 PM (PDT)

I think the only reasons I see that people would buy a shuffle is:

A) People can’t afford anything else and just want something with the name “iPod” slapped on it.

B) People want a flash drive with maybe an album or two worth of songs to listen to if they’re bored at school/work.

Posted by curveball429 on February 8, 2006 at 6:19 PM (PDT)

Face it Victoria, you are not special if you own an iPod nano or video, you are simply part of the iSheep nation.  Get with it.  There are millions of these things sold, iPods are mass-market electronic devices.

Personally, I like that Apple has lowered their prices because now they can effectively compete with all prices ranges of their competitors.  Yeah, there are always some people out there who need an FM tuner in their mp3 device, but for those who don’t care, then I think iPod is going to clean house and gain market share on the competitors in a big way.

Posted by isheep on February 8, 2006 at 7:59 PM (PDT)

“reasons I see that people would buy a shuffle is:”

c) excellent for working out
d) especially in the swimming pool where a waterproof case failure is now only a $50 loss (versus $150+).
e) people that listen to only a few podcasts

Posted by consumer_q on February 9, 2006 at 9:18 AM (PDT)

This is the news I’ve been waiting for, a shuffle price drop. With an education discount I got a 1GB model for £63 to go with my 30 GB iPod Photo.

Posted by Joe on February 9, 2006 at 2:13 PM (PDT)

Violet has a point; the full blown Ipod is somewhat of a status symbol. It is unjust for Apple to dilute the accessibility of an Apple device, for it only lessens the effect of posessing such a magnificent piece of hardware. I liken this situation to that of one in Nazi Germany. If I were a Stormtrooper and were given the traditional armband to wear, I would feel somewhat less patriotic if people like Russians started wearing the armband. Near the end of the war almost everyone wore the armband - and look now - Nazi Germany lost and all the leaders that distributed the armbands to the masses are dead. Why is Apple trying to make the same fatal mistake as Nazi Germany? Apple has so much potential, it would be a shame for them to spread it thinly amongst John Doe and the greasy Gothic man living in his mothers basement.

-Mordecai

Posted by Mordechai Stromboli on February 11, 2006 at 12:20 AM (PDT)

i really want one for free with out doing the surves or offers. im very poor.

Posted by tony on August 4, 2006 at 7:49 PM (PDT)

Page 3 of 3 pages  <  1 2 3