Apple intros 30GB iPod photo, Camera Connector, drops 40GB, prices | iLounge News

Apple intros 30GB iPod photo, Camera Connector, drops 40GB, prices

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Wednesday, February 23, 2005
News Categories: iPod

pic In addition to updated iPod minis, Apple today announced a revamped iPod photo family, including a new “slim” 30GB model for $349 and a 60GB model for $449 - a $150 price drop from its previous level. Apple’s 30GB model loses 10 Gigabytes, $150, 0.5 ounces of weight and 0.12” thickness from the earlier 40GB iPod photo, while the 60GB model remains the same size. Both the 30GB and 60GB iPod photos are available immediately. Apple is also promising updated iPod photo software for a March release to include “new slideshow transitions” that can be picked “on the go.”

Both of the new models feature the ability to import photos directly from your digital camera via an optional new iPod Camera Connector for instant viewing and slide show playback on iPod photo. The Connector is expected to be available in late March for $29.

The new iPod photo models no longer include iPod photo Docks, iPod photo AV cables, or cases, and more surprisingly, Apple has also apparently dropped both FireWire cables and FireWire Power Adapters from the iPod photo boxes. Each iPod photo now includes only a single USB 2.0 cable and a USB Power Adapter, recently reviewed on iLounge, for wall power charging. Each of the other items is available separately.

On a related note, Apple has discontinued the 40GB fourth-generation iPod (previously $399) and the 40GB iPod photo ($499). The fourth-generation 20GB iPod remains at a $299 price point.

« Apple releases iPod software update (trivia added)

Apple unveils new 6GB iPod mini, drops 4GB price to $199 »

Comments

i agree with trav… i think 40 gigs is the perfect size and looking for all those extra accessories would be a hassle

Posted by KAZ in Bronx on February 23, 2005 at 5:43 AM (PDT)

Also firewire is much faster. it took me about half an hour to put 100 songs on my ipod. then i tried the rest of my 250 with firewire and it waz like 4 or 5 minutes

Posted by KAZ in Bronx on February 23, 2005 at 5:45 AM (PDT)

Whingers…

STOP GIVING OUT ABOUT WHAT IT HASN’T GOT! No additional cables and bits makes it cheaper and easier for more people to get on board.

If I want to show pictures on my TV… I’ll buy the cable. I don’t want to do that… so why should I pay for the cable?

New pricing is fantastic. Colour screen on 30GB model is superb. The camera connector (not included) is perfect.

IT’S ALL GOOD STUFF. STOP COMPLAINING!

Posted by Karlito on February 23, 2005 at 5:51 AM (PDT)

Has Apple given a list of the cameras that the iPod Camera Connector will work with?  Also, a picture of it would be nice…

Posted by cromer on February 23, 2005 at 5:55 AM (PDT)

i bought a 40g ipod about a month ago. wish i would’ve known this was coming so soon, i would have waited and bought the 60g photo.

Posted by minglewood on February 23, 2005 at 5:56 AM (PDT)

are there any differences between and old 60GB iPod Photo and a new one?
The older model has more stuff bundled, right?

Posted by z0mbi3 on February 23, 2005 at 6:00 AM (PDT)

Krlito, the main point of an iPod photo is to download pictures and hook it up to a TV (as was advertised by Steve Jobs!).  You have to spend money on a dock/AV cables to do this.  I think this is somewhat of a poor choice for Apple.  It seems like they are moving towards a color screen as they have faised out the 4G 40GB and it seems like they will also get rid of the 4G 20GB (in time) and make the 30GB iPod photo the bottom line iPod.  That price reduction in the 60GB photo makes it well worth it.  Not including the cables is a win - no win situation, it brings the prices down drastically yet the dock has always been included with the top iPod models.  The lack of firewire cables seems to be somewhat puzzling as most Mac OS users, that I know, use firewire instead of USB 2.0 Meh, I am sure the old firewire connector will work just fine.

Posted by kornchild2002 on February 23, 2005 at 6:04 AM (PDT)

Being a 40GB iPod photo user, I do hope that the update to direct load/view the photos will be a firmware update.  Pricing seems fair, but as others have pointed out, if you want the accessories, you’ll have to take that on top of the base price.

Posted by Leo the 3rd in Georgia on February 23, 2005 at 6:31 AM (PDT)

I agree with the previous poster that this is pretty darn clever marketing.

As an existing 40 GB iPod photo owner, my initial reaction is to complain to Apple that the price of the 60 is now the same as I paid for my 40.

All Apple has to say to that complaint is: ” Well, look at all the accesories you received.  It works out to be just about even!”

They are of course, correct.  All that said, if I was someone that was contemplating buying an iPod photo, but the price has been too high, the perception of today’s price drop might inspire me to go buy it now that it is $150 cheaper!

Furthermore, the lack of accessories with the 60 would not concern me because I do not know any different!  Brilliant.

In the advent of VCRs, my Dad chose Beta to emerge as the market leader.  Likewise, I chose the 40 GB iPod.  I guess the “Apple” doesn’t fall far from the tree!

Posted by White Witch on February 23, 2005 at 6:34 AM (PDT)

So, is the 60gp ipod photo (unit)the same as the original one? I guess if there’s a new model number it’s just do with the included accessories.

Posted by bluejacket in London on February 23, 2005 at 6:49 AM (PDT)

Posted by bluejacket in London on February 23, 2005 at 6:49 AM (PDT)

“geee…i feel sad for those who actually paid 600 bucks for what now costs $450. “

Don’t be.  I’ve had my 60GB Photo for 4.5 months.  It came with all the accessories I need and it fits my entire collection and now it looks like Apple is adding to the value of the device by allowing it to D/L photos directly from my camera.  $600 was a lot for the thing but it was well worth the money AFAIC.

Posted by SiliconAddict in US, Minnesota on February 23, 2005 at 6:57 AM (PDT)

Existing 40GB owners aren’t really hurt by this, right?  We’ll still continue to receive support and firmware updates?  (I received the 40GB model for my birthday last month).  If so, I console myself by rationalizing that I’ve had a portable music collection for a month!

Posted by Jackanapes in Alexandria, VA on February 23, 2005 at 7:11 AM (PDT)

Every so often you read trash like this on the Forum boards from people that seem to delight in other posters’ problems or misery.

It always remind me of the quote:

“There are two ways to have the highest building in town; You can build your own, or you can tear down everybody elses.”

Posted by White Witch on February 23, 2005 at 7:27 AM (PDT)

I’m glad I got both USB and FW cables because I can charge at the wall OR at my Mac, and I do both regularly.

But ouch… my $600 iPod just dropped $150 smile

The thing is, anyone who buys the new $450 model will get “burned” the same way, if you choose to look at it that way… there will ALWAYS be something better, and/or cheaper, within months. That’s technology.

The longer you do without, the more you save… so is the only way to “win” to never buy anything? Then you save the FULL cost! smile

Or you could buy when something new and worth having comes along.

Considering that I booted OS X off my iPod Photo when traveling without my Mac, I got good use for my $150.

Posted by Nagromme on February 23, 2005 at 7:38 AM (PDT)

Were there any issues with the 40GB IPod? I just ordered one two days ago.

Posted by KThunder on February 23, 2005 at 7:48 AM (PDT)

Imported photos are immediately viewable on iPod photo’s color screen, and can also be brought back to iPhoto on the Mac or various photo applications on the PC. The iPod Camera Connector is expected to be available in late March for $29…. <<< Would be nice!!!!!!

Posted by Sushi_BKK in Bangkok, Thailand on February 23, 2005 at 8:07 AM (PDT)

There better not be any issues with the 40GB (4 gen) iPods.  I simply don’t understand why
Apple would discontinue the 40 instead of the 20.  If they’re trying to “push” me into buying an iPod photo by decreasing the capacity of the non-photo iPods below acceptible limits, they can stick it.  Some of us like looking at photos larger than postage stamps.  Who needs another video input device for their televisions anyway?  This here-today-gone-tomorrow marketing mentality is truly alienating and greed-driven.

Posted by Pragmatist on February 23, 2005 at 8:08 AM (PDT)

they got rid of the 40 regular becuase they lowered the price of the ipod photos, and they cant lower the other prices more becuase the shuffle remains at $99, there is a $50 dollar increase for capacitiy except from the 40GB photo to 60GB photo.  THey figured the people who would buy a 30GB regular ipod would rather spend $50 less and get the 30GB photo.  I do believe however that they should have kept the 40GB photo rather then changing it to 30GB.  But the dropping of the regular 40GB makes sense.

Posted by jfried in Ann Arbor, Michigan on February 23, 2005 at 8:30 AM (PDT)

So… what does the color screen SUBTRACT from music playback functionality? It adds album art, more text on the screen, and battery life. It subtracts nothing.

As for “another video input device” for TV… this one happens to show photos.

And calling a $150 price drop “greed driven” is interesting smile

Posted by Nagromme on February 23, 2005 at 8:33 AM (PDT)

Page 2 of 5 pages  <  1 2 3 4 >  Last »