Apple intros 30GB iPod photo, Camera Connector, drops 40GB, prices | iLounge News

Apple intros 30GB iPod photo, Camera Connector, drops 40GB, prices

pic In addition to updated iPod minis, Apple today announced a revamped iPod photo family, including a new “slim” 30GB model for $349 and a 60GB model for $449 - a $150 price drop from its previous level. Apple’s 30GB model loses 10 Gigabytes, $150, 0.5 ounces of weight and 0.12” thickness from the earlier 40GB iPod photo, while the 60GB model remains the same size. Both the 30GB and 60GB iPod photos are available immediately. Apple is also promising updated iPod photo software for a March release to include “new slideshow transitions” that can be picked “on the go.”

Both of the new models feature the ability to import photos directly from your digital camera via an optional new iPod Camera Connector for instant viewing and slide show playback on iPod photo. The Connector is expected to be available in late March for $29.

The new iPod photo models no longer include iPod photo Docks, iPod photo AV cables, or cases, and more surprisingly, Apple has also apparently dropped both FireWire cables and FireWire Power Adapters from the iPod photo boxes. Each iPod photo now includes only a single USB 2.0 cable and a USB Power Adapter, recently reviewed on iLounge, for wall power charging. Each of the other items is available separately.

On a related note, Apple has discontinued the 40GB fourth-generation iPod (previously $399) and the 40GB iPod photo ($499). The fourth-generation 20GB iPod remains at a $299 price point.

« Apple releases iPod software update (trivia added)

Apple unveils new 6GB iPod mini, drops 4GB price to $199 »

Comments

I just bought a 40GB iPod photo from Best Buy a week and a half ago.  Even though I’m happy with it, I’m taking it back and getting a refund.  I never planned to use it for photos, but liked the color screen and ability to display album art, so the loss of the cables doesn’t really bother me that much.  What will bother me is I’ll have to be iPod-less again until Best Buy gets the new lower-priced 60GB models in.  Any idea when the new iPods will start showing up at retail other than the Apple Store?

Posted by sechannell in United States on February 23, 2005 at 10:45 AM (CST)

You mean that funny cord that plugs into the wall charger has a purpose other than delivering a charge?  I can’t imagine that many people are going to miss it that much.

As for Best Buy - they were about 2 weeks behind Apple Stores when they received the 4Gs in…and they had no idea of the ETA (in fact, the folks I talked to had no idea there was a new version out then.)  I’d buy the new one from an Apple Store if the cashiers there did not have such attitudes and if they offered a viable replacement plan.

Posted by ape on February 23, 2005 at 11:07 AM (CST)

well, i’m glad i got my 60gb photo bout 2 months ago. i would never have bought the AV-cable or a firewire-cable if it wouldn’t have been in the package, but as it was i use it ^^ i showed my pics to friends over their tv-system with the AV-cable and i have my firewire-cable plugged in the AC-adapter to charge my pod if i’m not at home and my usb2.0 one in the pc, so i won’t have to crouch under my desk and fetch the cord if i want to charge my pod elsewhere.
i think the ability to load pics directly from digicam to the ipod isn’t _that_ great, that could only be usefull if u are not at home and u want to show the pics u made moments ago to somebody, but _then_ u would also need the AV-cable, cause if u show or watch the pics on the pod u can just watch them on the digicam…
all in all i’m very happy with my ipod and i don’t regret one penny i paid for it and i like the “completeness” of the sutff that came with it :)

Posted by [SkR] on February 23, 2005 at 11:11 AM (CST)

I am tempted to return my 20 gb 4 gen and get a 30 gb photo.I just bought the 20gb last sunday. i i bought the dock seperate. i dont know if the dock would fit the new photo.

Posted by FoxyIpod on February 23, 2005 at 11:14 AM (CST)

According to the Apple Store, the 30GB and 60GB iPod photos both include AC adapters.

As far as Best Buy goes, I have no love for them particularly, but they have a three year replacement plan, which is superior to Apples.

Posted by sechannell in United States on February 23, 2005 at 11:15 AM (CST)

Hi!
I personally will keep my 40 gig photo.  It’s great and I do use all my cables.  Here’s a breakdown for the 40 gig photo vs 30 gig photo.

40 gig photo
w AV Cable
w ipod photo dock
w Firewire Cable
w Apple iPod Carrying Case with Belt Clip
=$649 Canadian (bare with the currency pls)

30 gig photo $439
+ AV Cable $39
+ ipod photo dock $49
+ Firewire Cable $29
+ Apple iPod Carrying Case with Belt Clip $49
=$605 C

Not a big deal for 40 gig owners.  Honestly that AV cable is quite useful. I did a nice presentation at work with it.

I know someone who just bought a 20 gig and you’re right.  He’s trying to see if the 30 gig photo is worthwhile as the $ difference isn’t too much.  If you think you’ll use those extra cables then keep your 40 gig photo. =)

Posted by wm6 on February 23, 2005 at 11:51 AM (CST)

Well jfried, I understand what you’re saying but feel that dropping a good product simply because it doesn’t fit into Apple’s constantly changing pricing spectrum is dumb.  And Nagromme, while all the pretty colors on the screen, they take up memory that could better be used for music—which is what I thought the iPod was all about.  Video can also be used to describe still pictures, not just moving ones (which are actually just still pictures presented fast enough to give the illusion of motion—forgive the analog explanation, but the digital one is uh, well, analogous.

Posted by Pragmatist on February 23, 2005 at 11:54 AM (CST)

From a pure Mac point of view, the loss of the firewire cable is lamentable. I really like firewire, but I suppose as long as the computer has a USB 2.0 port all will be well, which most do, but hopefully this means that compatibility issues that we see with USB have continued to be sorted out.

The one thing I regret the most would be the loss of the power adapter. I do not charge while connected to my computer, I charge from the mains only. Of course these changes don’t affect me at all as I already have what I have so that is good, and I’m sure for the average user their being gone is of no consequence and if they really decide they need it they will send out for them.

The iPod saga continues.

Posted by studogvetmed in Loveland, CO on February 23, 2005 at 12:08 PM (CST)

No, the “colors on the screen” don’t take memory away from music. Store data, photos, or just 100% music in any combination you like, but the color screen does NOT make less room for music.

So again, the color screen does nothing to hurt music.

As for the cable… the new USB CHARGER is an improvement for the way I use my Mac! The USB cable can stay hooked up to the wall chargerk… while an optional firewire cable can be used with a computer.

I have the Firewire charger, and that means if I want to leave the charger hooked up, I must use the USB cable with my Mac. Which I generally do and since synchs are small after the first one, that’s OK.

But I"d rather have Firewire for my Mac and USB on the wall outlet. The new iPods allow that.

Posted by Nagromme on February 23, 2005 at 12:32 PM (CST)

Omg. And to think that when i bought my 20GB 3G it cost £269. And now i coul go and pick up an iPod photo with 30GB and a colour for £249. How things change…

Posted by iPodNod in London, UK on February 23, 2005 at 1:18 PM (CST)

Wow, now they’ve got the discontinued 40GB and 60GB on the Apple Store special deals for $379 and $479.  I called and the 60GB is the EXACT same product as the new 60GB, but includes the peripherals.  If you’re thinking about buying a 60GB, this is the time.

Posted by sechannell in United States on February 23, 2005 at 2:06 PM (CST)

So do you peeps think its worth it to ditch my week old 20gb 4th gen for a 30gb photo? i already bought the dock so i’d be giving up what a firewire cable?

Posted by FoxyIpod on February 23, 2005 at 2:11 PM (CST)

Posted by FoxyIpod on February 23, 2005 at 2:11 PM (CST)

is it just me or is the iPod photo gimmicky? i mean paying more for a color screen while dropping a lot of accessories does not sit well with me.  Looking at photos on the little screen is pointless and viewing them on a tv is pointless too.  I mean, do u really hook it up to a tv and look at it for hours on end?

Posted by Humungus in NJ on February 23, 2005 at 2:42 PM (CST)

I know everyone is bumed about many accessories being droped from the iPod photo line but, this also happend the the 4G iPods when they came out, thats why they were so cheap, you bought what you needed sepertly, anyways this is a great move from apple.  As for me, im going to get the 30GB iPod photo and just buy the dock and use the S-Viedo out of the dock to connect to the TV.  and then im going to get a case other then the apples case that sucks..

Just imagine what is going to happen when the 5Gs come out!!!

Posted by iPodRevolve on February 23, 2005 at 2:44 PM (CST)

I hate to break it to you, Nagromme, but all those pretty colors on the screen do in fact utilize memory that could be used to store digitally encrypted and/or compressed music data.  While you’re right that all those pretty colors on the screen don’t “hurt” the music, they don’t enhance the quality of the music and they subtract from the music capacity of the iPod.  You must work for Apple or you wouldn’t say such things.

Posted by Pragmatist on February 23, 2005 at 3:11 PM (CST)

Considering that the iPod updater only has one listing for iPod photo I would say that the camera connector will be a firmware update that will work with all iPod photos, otherwise they would’ve added yet another iPod to the list in the updater…

Posted by tantousha in Vancouver, Canada on February 23, 2005 at 3:27 PM (CST)

I was actually in the apple store this morning, about to purchase a 40gb iPod photo (I have the original first generation, and figured it was time to upgrade)... I decided to go back tomorrow to get it… I get home, look on the internet and find out that the price dropped- - but I still wanted all the cables and the dock (the old ones don’t have dock capability and I kinda like it :-) ), so I jumped on amazon.com and got the 40gb for $399.00 with everything included…  Very happy i didn’t pay $499 for it this morning!!

And I also hope that firewire doesn’t go under… I outfitted 2 computers with Firewire so I could use my iPod (there is no way to use USB 2 with the first generation), and I definitely like it :-)

Posted by JoyousJess in NJ on February 23, 2005 at 4:03 PM (CST)

3G FO’ LIFE!!!

Posted by Joshdude in Long Beach, CA on February 23, 2005 at 4:47 PM (CST)

Amazon’s price is now $379 for the 40GB iPod Photo.  :)

Posted by pammyspyce in CA on February 23, 2005 at 5:28 PM (CST)

Page 3 of 5 pages  < 1 2 3 4 5 >