Apple intros 30GB iPod photo, Camera Connector, drops 40GB, prices
In addition to updated iPod minis, Apple today announced a revamped iPod photo family, including a new “slim” 30GB model for $349 and a 60GB model for $449 - a $150 price drop from its previous level. Apple’s 30GB model loses 10 Gigabytes, $150, 0.5 ounces of weight and 0.12” thickness from the earlier 40GB iPod photo, while the 60GB model remains the same size. Both the 30GB and 60GB iPod photos are available immediately. Apple is also promising updated iPod photo software for a March release to include “new slideshow transitions” that can be picked “on the go.”
Both of the new models feature the ability to import photos directly from your digital camera via an optional new iPod Camera Connector for instant viewing and slide show playback on iPod photo. The Connector is expected to be available in late March for $29.
The new iPod photo models no longer include iPod photo Docks, iPod photo AV cables, or cases, and more surprisingly, Apple has also apparently dropped both FireWire cables and FireWire Power Adapters from the iPod photo boxes. Each iPod photo now includes only a single USB 2.0 cable and a USB Power Adapter, recently reviewed on iLounge, for wall power charging. Each of the other items is available separately.
On a related note, Apple has discontinued the 40GB fourth-generation iPod (previously $399) and the 40GB iPod photo ($499). The fourth-generation 20GB iPod remains at a $299 price point.
- Apple releases iOS 8.1.3
- Apple releases iOS 8.2 beta 4 to developers, adds Apple Watch support
- Apple releases iOS 8.2 beta 3 to developers
- Apple found not guilty in iPod, iTunes Store lock-in suit
- Apple releases iOS 8.2 beta 2 to developers
- Apple releases iOS 8.1.2, fixing missing ringtones issue
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Chinese Government may require Apple to build ‘back door’ into iPhones
- Notes from Apple’s Q1 2015 earnings call
- Cook: Apple Watch shipping in April
- Apple Q1 2015: Record $74.6B revenue, 74.5M iPhones, 24.4M iPads
- Apple Pay support coming to more vending machines, kiosks, parking meters
- Apple releases iOS 8.1.3
- Apple TV adds 120 Sports channel
- Report: Bank verification methods leave Apple Pay vulnerable to fraud
- Apple filing reveals executive compensation plans, earnings
- Report: Apple Watch battery life expected to be about 19 hours
- Harman Kardon Soho Wireless Headphones
- Odoyo Power+Shell EX Rechargeable Battery Case for iPhone 6
- Patriot Memory Fuel iON Magnetic Charging Case with Charging Pad for iPhone 6
- Lenmar Maven Battery Case for iPhone 6
- STM Studio for iPad Air 2
- VSN Mobil V.360 Camera
- Booq Booqpad for iPad Air 2
- Incipio offGRID Express for iPhone 6
- Incipio Tuxen for iPad Air 2
- Incipio Trestle for iPhone 6 Plus
- How do I get a phone number on iMessage?
- Can I share in-app subscriptions among family members?
- Can I cancel or ‘unsend’ sent iMessages?
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Apple’s HomeKit
- Reorganizing files in the iTunes Media Folder
- Exchange text messages between two iPhones with no cellular data plan
- The Booths of the iProducts Marketplace at CES 2015
- Hands-on with CarPlay at CES 2015
- iLounge announces its CES 2015 Best of Show Awards
- Five Things to Watch for at CES 2015