Apple intros fifth-generation iPod with video playback | iLounge News

Apple intros fifth-generation iPod with video playback

image
As widely expected, Apple today introduced the long-rumored new iPod with video playback capabilities. The new fifth-generation device, which is up to 30% thinner than the previous full-size iPod, features a larger 2.5-inch color screen (320 x 240 resolution, 260,000 colors) that can play videos, including music videos, video Podcasts, home movies and television shows, in addition to displaying album artwork and photos. It supports MPEG4 and H.264 video at 30 fps and also sports TV out. (See our report on iTunes 6 for further details on available video content). The new iPod is available in both white and black versions in 30GB ($299) and 60GB ($399) capacities. Both models will begin shipping next week.

“The new iPod is the best music player ever—it’s 30 percent thinner and has 50 percent more storage than its predecessor—yet it sells for the same price and plays stunning video on its 2.5-inch color screen,” said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. “Because millions of people around the world will buy this new iPod to play music, it will quickly become the most popular portable video player in history.”

The new iPod uses Apple’s well-known Click Wheel and Dock Connector, so the majority of third-party accessories will be compatible with the device. However, its extended headphone port has been removed, so while headphones will work, other top-mounting accessories such as remote controls and most FM transmitters will not. New products are forthcoming to fulfill anticipated demand. The 30GB model offers up to 14 hours of battery life for music playback, while the 60GB model features up to 20 hours. The 30GB iPod is good for two hours of video playback and the 60GB model is good for three hours of video watching.

Apple told iLounge that the fifth-generation iPod features greatly enhanced audio recording capabilities, and improved playback capabilities. The company said the new iPod sounds as good or better than the iPod shuffle, which Apple considers its prior gold standard in terms of sound quality. Good news for podcasters is the ability to record in either 22KHz mono or 44KHz stereo. The device still records in WAV format, which has to be converted to MP3 or AAC, however.

imageBoth models come with earphones, a USB 2.0 cable and a case, but Apple has also introduced a new Universal Dock ($39) for the fifth-generation iPod that features IR support to work with a new wireless Apple Remote ($29). It also allows for USB 2.0 syncing, variable line out—confirmed by Apple representatives for certain on this Dock—and S-video connections.

You can view more live hands-on shots of the new iPod on iLounge’s flickr page and the event’s photo gallery with over 300 photos. iLounge Editor-in-Chief Jeremy Horwitz will have his first reactions up shortly in the form of a special podcast.

image

image

image

image

« iTunes 6 announced; 2,000 music videos, TV shows offered

iLounge Exclusive: New iPod revealed »

Comments

Does anyone think it would be possible to tranfer Tivo’d shows to the new ipod? Windows media player can play them. Would there be a way to convert them?

Posted by Jeff on October 12, 2005 at 1:39 PM (PDT)

p.s.—one more comment.  I don’t know how you can say they aren’t focusing on widescreen content right now with a straight face.  They are offering both Lost and Desparate Housewives, two shows I know for a fact are presented in Widescreen week after week.  Not to mention all those music videos that for the most part, are wide screen these days.  Oh, and, when was the last time apple sold a monitor that wasn’t wide screen?

Posted by brett on October 12, 2005 at 1:40 PM (PDT)

I may think that this new video ipod is pretty cool..which it is, but i still think that even though it lacks video capabilities, the ipod NANO is still the most innovative product out there, simply due to it’s impossible size…...dudez NANO ROCKS man!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by xbox nerd on October 12, 2005 at 1:51 PM (PDT)

I feel sorry for alot of the nano buyers that went out and bought the nano as soon as it hit store.  B/c many of them could hav waited a month and paid a extra $50 and had vido playback and like 6X the memory storage of the the nano.  b/c thing happened to me i bough my 4g 20gb b/w and less than a month later the 4g 20gb color dropped.  at first i was made but got over it.

I’m considering upgrading to the 5g but i first want to see if outside(non-itunes bought) video content can be converted and played on the 5G that would be a dealer breaker for me. i could careless about lost or despreate housewives but i would love to have a few eposodes of Seinfeld or cosby show on hand but i’ll give it about three months and see the reviews and feedback before i make a move

Posted by milesfan79 on October 12, 2005 at 1:53 PM (PDT)

Wait, so I just bought the new iTrip and was thinking of upgrading my iPod (3G currently) to the 5G—will the iTrip not even work anymore!!  Should I return it?

Posted by Chris on October 12, 2005 at 1:54 PM (PDT)

...and yes, I am indeed a Jedi.  However, my powers seem to be limited to predicting that I will get long, snide responses from people that don’t believe I am entitled to my own thoughts and opinions whenever I post on ilounge.

Sheesh.

Posted by Ben on October 12, 2005 at 1:54 PM (PDT)

firewire won’t work with it at all??? how and why???

Posted by chris on October 12, 2005 at 1:57 PM (PDT)

i have to admit, i’m a little dissappointed…

no inline remote???  I don’t even use accesories that use the remote, but i use the remote all the time on walks and such, no need for a wireless…

Am i supposed to go on a walk with the dock in hand? weird.

no 80GB??

Posted by Puck in washington dc on October 12, 2005 at 2:00 PM (PDT)

So is there no in-line remote for the 5G iPod? It seems such a basic feature, why drop it?

Posted by Chris on October 12, 2005 at 2:01 PM (PDT)

The new iPods don’t support Firewire syncing! That’s the final straw, I’m keeping my firewire capable color iPod

Posted by LukeA on October 12, 2005 at 2:01 PM (PDT)

All this complaining - ridiculous.

I just bought my first full sized iPod - 60 GB in black and I am happy.

You all know that your old iPods still work, why complain?

Posted by Gee on October 12, 2005 at 2:02 PM (PDT)

Re: the accessories, this sucks as it did with the nano. (BTW, I am currently trying to hack my iTrip to make it work with the nano, watch this space).

Re: people being PO’d abotu just buying a color one…. it’s not like you didn’t know this was coming!  Folks here have been speculating about this for years, and then BOOM like a rabbit in the headlights, when it finally happens, you can’t believe it!  WTF?  Get over yourself already.

One thing missing IMHO is the ability to rip DVDs like you can for CDs with iTunes.  For people with sizeable DVD collections, the ability to load these onto the iPod would be cool.  No doubt the shareware angels out there are already working on this!

Bit disappointed at 60GB - would have prefereed they keep it as thick as the old iPods and make it 80 or 100GB.

Also the form factor is not pretty to me.  I prefer the “curved on all sides” feel of the older iPods.  I’m still not sure about the sharp front edge of the nano, and this takes it a step further.  I guess this means the new iPods may be subject to the same scratch issues as the nano - and that’s going to be a much bigger issue if you’re trying to watch video on it.  Some sort of screen protector will be essential.

Having just bought a nano, I’m not in the market for a new iPod, but will definitely get into the video thing over time, and that’s exactly what apple wants.

Overall, not that great, but still ‘kin cool!

Posted by Dopial on October 12, 2005 at 2:04 PM (PDT)

Unfortunately it’s just the way it is.

Although I disagree with “it’s not like you didn’t know this was coming”.

I remember Summer last year, in June/July everyone was confident that a fully metal case iPod with video and bluetooth was going to be released. What did we get? The click wheel iPod.

Now it’s a over a year on and we have now only got video.

Posted by daveoc64 on October 12, 2005 at 2:12 PM (PDT)

FYI, some of you have posted that the new iPod has extra width, but I compared the specs between the “old” iPod Photo 4G and the new 5G, and it is still 2.4 inches in width.  The only diffence in size, apart from the screen, is that it is thinner and lighter than the previous one.  And the click wheel is smaller too.  Visually, because the screen is bigger, it gives an impression that the whole unit is bigger as well.

Also, Griffin has already announced a new iTrip LCD (the second one in one month), but this time, it connects through the connector on the bottom.  So it’s compatible with all iPods with connectors.  Costs 50$.  Should start shipping by end of october, they say.

Posted by morggo on October 12, 2005 at 2:19 PM (PDT)

BTW - no one seems to be getting this right: the new iPod is the same width as the old one - 2.4”. They just widened the screen and reduced the edges, that’s all. If you look at cached versions of the iPod spec page and compare them to the current page, you’ll see what I mean:

Posted by PK on October 12, 2005 at 2:20 PM (PDT)

Morggo -

Doh! Beat me to the punch - I’m glad someone else noticed the misinformation and corrected it smile

Posted by PK on October 12, 2005 at 2:23 PM (PDT)

Not to beat a dead horse here, but c’mon people… you have to realize this is a music player upgrade that allows it to play video. This is NOT a new “Video iPod.” Video for Apple has always been secondary, and this is their first attempt at dropping the technology into iPods. Maybe they’ll eventually release a video player to add to the iPod line, where video will be primary and therefore the usability of the player will all be geared towards video. Who knows.

And as for all the people that complain that they bought an iPod now a new one is out… deal with it. Everything… EVERYTHING has a life cycle. I personally love my 3G iPod and have no need or desire to replace it. It’s a music player, and it still plays music. Complaining about a company releasing new technology quickly is absurd. Last week everyone complains that Apple hasn’t done video yet. Now this week everyone complains that Apple debuted video too fast. Am I the only one who sees how dumb that is?

Posted by jason on October 12, 2005 at 2:23 PM (PDT)

So what happened to the 80gb of storage? I have a full 40gb iPod 3G and was looking forward to getting my hands on 80gb.

Andrew

Posted by Andrew Ward on October 12, 2005 at 2:25 PM (PDT)

i have the 60 gig photo ipod which i got in like july, i dont even put photos on it in the first place, other than the cd covers on it. i just use it as a music player. the new ipod is wicked sweet, but if it has 2 hours of battery life just to watch movies its no point.

all im sayin, is that if u have the money to buy new ipods when they come out, i hate you, but many people are still happy with some of the older versions on the ipod. plus even if i upgrade to a 5g ipod, a month later, im going to get dicked over when apple releases a 6g ipod.

Posted by Navas on October 12, 2005 at 2:30 PM (PDT)

Are you whiners for real?

I can’t believe what I’m reading. ANYBODY that buys new technology _has_ to realize that something bigger (or smaller)/better/cheaper/faster is _just_ around the corner. You buy something because it meets your requirements for that moment. Cra[p I still have a 2G iPod that still works on its original batteries, and still does what it was designed to do - play music. I paid $599 CDN at the time, so if anyone should cry it should be us early adopters.

Apple isn’t going to sit on its butt until you have enough money squared away to buy exactly what you’ve been waiting for. If they fall asleep at the wheel, MS or the competitors catch up. And YES early release of info DOES hurt sales when the newer prduct is pretty much the same price as the previous gen. The Xbox 360 doesn’t count because it’s almost 3x the price of the current xbox. People will still keep buying the present one because of the $ discrepancy.

Yes - it sucks that you _just_ bought a 4g, but does it do what you wanted it to do at the time? It better, or you have only yourself to blame for making a poor decision. Wait a year, and if you think you _really_ need a 5g, then buy it, but as neat as this announcement is, it’s not going to change your life in a year. Unless you have no friends, and like to wow strangers with new gadgets wink

Posted by Warren Peace on October 12, 2005 at 2:41 PM (PDT)

Page 3 of 13 pages  <  1 2 3 4 5 >  Last »