Apple intros leather iPod cases | iLounge News

Apple intros leather iPod cases

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Tuesday, February 28, 2006
News Categories: iPod Accessories

imageIn addition to the iPod Hi-Fi and Intel-based Mac minis, Apple boss Steve Jobs also briefly announced new leather cases for the fifth-generation iPod and iPod nano. The “luxurious” leather case is “made with fine, hand-crafted Italian leather and features a soft and durable interior lining for a secure fit, making it the perfect carrying case for iPod or iPod nano.” The Apple Leather Case is available in 30GB and 60GB sizes for the iPod and one size for the iPod nano. Each is available immediately and sells for $99.

« iPod Hi-Fi speaker system unveiled

Special Apple event live coverage »

Comments

What? No $99 Shuffle model?!

Posted by Derek on March 1, 2006 at 8:56 AM (PDT)

i don’t think the case is too bad looking. it is a little expensive, but what apple products aren’t? i have pretty much come to expect that, and it’s not worth me getting worked up over it. is a case really worth getting mad over?

i use the free case. it works fine. i am sure the leather case protects well too. whatever.

Posted by mike on March 1, 2006 at 9:16 AM (PDT)

It’s not unsual to see an Apple product way overpriced. It makes you wonder how much an iPod is REALLY worth.

Posted by Caveman on March 1, 2006 at 11:02 AM (PDT)

$100 is way to much. What would look cool if the apple logo was metal, or something in color. The black case you can hardly see the apple logo. I don’t think apple is going to sell that many.

Posted by john on March 1, 2006 at 12:38 PM (PDT)

Man, do I feel good about the Vaja case that I just received last week.  Fully customized and cheaper than Apple’s middle of the line offering.

Posted by TahoeJR on March 1, 2006 at 3:41 PM (PDT)

this has gotta be a joke 99 frekin dollars omg u have to be kidding me this is total bullsh*t its a piece of sh*t case y buy this wen u got one just like it wen u bought ur ipod ha ha ha lmfao

first the firmware then this apples really outdone themselves

Posted by KOOBAZI on March 1, 2006 at 4:49 PM (PDT)

this takes king as overpriced and ugly .. although not as butt and bulky as the vajas.

Posted by ssjmichael on March 1, 2006 at 6:57 PM (PDT)

aahhahahaaahahahahahaha, that’s all i gotta say.

Posted by Kastor Troy on March 1, 2006 at 10:00 PM (PDT)

.....and one more thing. Always love Apple and what they bring, but with loyal brand creation comes certain responsibilities. Its a fine line to walk.

Posted by Kastor Troy on March 1, 2006 at 10:09 PM (PDT)

Good Lord. Do you people ever stop whining? I know its a comment board but jeez. I think we got the general trend by the first 10 or so posts. Unless you have a new thought on the topic, just don’t say it. OK, you don’t like the price. OK, you don’t think its nice looking. I don’t either, but I usually don’t see the point in expressing distaste unless it hasn’t already been expressed. And that certainly isnt the case right now. “Nobody”, “M. le Pod” and “Jason”, thank you for your insightful input, not to mention anyone I’ve missed, I’m sorry, I stopped reading after a while. Other than that, you’re all wasting your time. And mine by association. Just because you’re all nerdy enough to be on a website about iPods (myself included), doesn’t mean you’re smart enough to rephrase your irritation with Jobs in a new and exciting way. So PLEASE stop b****ing. We get it. You don’t like it. Thank you.

Posted by Matty D on March 2, 2006 at 1:15 AM (PDT)

Wow look at all the comments!! Jeez!

I agree that if you don’t like it, don’t buy it, but just because people don’t like it, doesn’t mean they can’t say that they don’t. They have the right to say whatever they want about a product whether they like it or not. That is what this commenting section is for. I think you all are bring a bunch of babies arguing over this. I agree, it’s a rip-off but please stop being suck @$$es about it. It’s a goddamn case! Get on with your lives there’s more in the world than Apple Apple Apple!!

Posted by Werewolf on March 2, 2006 at 6:44 AM (PDT)

I’m with PaulB. I’ve been looking for this type of case for awhile and find it perfect for my needs. I *hate* the cases that enclose the iPod to the degree that you’re feeling the case and not the iPod itself. Given that you can easily pull up the iPod to use, this design seems far better (for my needs) than a play-through case. Having said that, however, I didn’t buy it simply because of the price. Anyone know of something comparable that’s more reasonably priced?

Posted by elo on March 2, 2006 at 9:02 AM (PDT)

In my view, the iPod cases need to:

1. be shock absorbing
2. have the option of adding a belt clip and/or fit in an armband
3. allow you to view the screen while the screen is protected. (Usually vinyl or hard plastic is used.)
4. allow access to the port on the bottom without removing the iPod from the case
5. allow access to the controls on the top (the lock and the headphone port) and also the wheel, without going through steps.
6. be aesthetically pleasing to the look and touch

This case really just meets number one and six. Two out of six requirements isn’t that good.

Apple used to ship a case with the iPods but most people replaced them with third party products. They’ve had enough time to perfect this concept, and I am rather shocked at the minimal thought they seem to have given to this important iPod accessory. There are scores of third party cases out there, which they could have examined for concept. I don’t think they gave this any thought at all.

I got a case for my vPod which meets all the requirements and cost (I think) $40, though I’d have preferred glove soft leather to the white puffy rubbery stuff I have, which provides excellent shock absorption, but isn’t that lovely.

Apple’s offering, however, is a poor excuse for an iPod case in terms of the necessary functionality. Apple should be ashamed.

Posted by Lee on March 2, 2006 at 10:13 AM (PDT)

iPod cases…........queue the video iPod!!!

Posted by br on March 2, 2006 at 5:58 PM (PDT)

Ok. Just take dollar bills (or whatever currency you prefer). Roll them around your ipod and you will get a better case for less money.

And a comment like “If you don’t like it, DON’T BUY IT.? forces me to say: If you dont like the comments here… don’t read them.

Posted by saminegm on March 3, 2006 at 8:25 AM (PDT)

So first we have people complaing that the iPod scratches to easily… and now your pissed that the case does not have a bunch of holess all cut-out of it… geeze… Perhaps you will never be happy…

Posted by Freckles on March 4, 2006 at 8:47 PM (PDT)

Page 4 of 4 pages « First  <  2 3 4