Apple intros new iPod accessories | iLounge News

Apple intros new iPod accessories

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Wednesday, September 5, 2007
News Categories: iPod Accessories

image

Apple today introduced several new iPod accessories to correspond with the new iPod models. The iPod nano Armband is designed for the new third-generation iPod nano, and features an all-grey body with clear window providing access to the device’s controls. It sells for $29 and is available now. imageThe new Apple Universal Dock with Remote features a smaller, pill-shaped IR sensor, an included Apple Remote, and sells for $49. Estimated shipping times on the Dock are listed at 3-4 weeks. Finally, Apple also introduced new Composite and Component AV Cables for iPod, which combine a USB connector for charging with industry-standard AV cables, which run from the iPod’s Dock Connector. Both include a USB Power Adapter, and sell for $49.

« Apple posts iPod touch guided tour, kills iPod Hi-Fi?

Apple announces music partnership with Starbucks »

Comments

The video cables announcement raises an obvious question about the iPhone, as to compatability. Although the icon list depicts them as ‘iPhone compatible’, the text blurb leaves us in suspense. One might ‘assume’ from the list that includes the iPhone icon, that iPhone has video available on the dock connector, and is not tappable via the available cable(s). But, this is not specifically confirmed in text. ...Anyone know the definitive answer?

Posted by chashulme in Southern California on September 5, 2007 at 1:58 PM (PDT)

CORRECTION… I meant, “is NOW tappable..”. Sorry for the confusion.

Posted by chashulme in Southern California on September 5, 2007 at 1:59 PM (PDT)

Can someone explain why the ipod touch only supports 480i and not 480p? Also, it only works with the latest range of ipods? What about ipod 5G?

Posted by mtech on September 5, 2007 at 3:08 PM (PDT)

$49 for the universal dock with a remote is a great price.

Posted by Galley on September 5, 2007 at 3:20 PM (PDT)

Next they’ll have a video-outputting dock with on-screen menus.

Posted by anti-luddite on September 5, 2007 at 6:37 PM (PDT)

We’re going to need a new lanyard headphone set for the new Nano. I rang Apple and they have no part number for such an item. Hopefully my 2nd-Gen lanyard will still fit in while I’m waiting, although the ‘Pod will be lopsided (dock connector is now in the middle).

Posted by Japester on September 5, 2007 at 7:31 PM (PDT)

Posted by audiorec on September 5, 2007 at 9:53 PM (PDT)

Posted by ArtDecoDalek on September 7, 2007 at 1:08 PM (PDT)

“Can someone tell me if I can make audio recording with the new ipods? It doesn’t seem like it. It also seems that they cut some great things from the previous ipods ... but they look good and I’m sure I’ll want one ... but the recording aspect for me is big bonus ... by the way what about radio ... Their specs are too vague. Thanks”

Sorry no recording capability and Apple is likely to never offer it.  It may raise the ire of their content partners i.e. big music, movie and media houses.

Also the model is to have you purchase everything through iTunes - good.

Recording TV shows and converting DVD’s and CD’s that you already own - bad.

Radio - the solution offered is the existing FM radio remote which seems to be compatible with the Classic and new Nano…...

Posted by sorry on September 7, 2007 at 3:32 PM (PDT)

“So, will the component video cables allow the new iPods to output anamorphic widescreen? That’s what’s really needed here, for those that have widescreen TVs.”

Keep dreaming - the specs provided by Apple are standard screen definitions :

Component video output to television is supported by iPod nano (third generation) and iPod classic at 480p or 576p resolution, and by iPod touch at 480i or 576i resolution.

Posted by dreamon on September 7, 2007 at 3:40 PM (PDT)

480p isn’t high def, but it’s widescreen, as is 576p.

Posted by wuchootalkinbout on September 10, 2007 at 8:54 AM (PDT)

Also the model is to have you purchase everything through iTunes - good.

Recording TV shows and converting DVD’s and CD’s that you already own - bad.

Whaaaat?  No playlists of the stuff I already have in iTunes?  that’s whack - do you have a link to where you learned this ‘feature’?

Posted by Hey sorry on September 10, 2007 at 2:47 PM (PDT)

Does the headphone jack at the top of my video ipod support video as well as the left/right audio out?

I can’t seem to get it to work.

Also, even when I get to see the video picture on my video projector for video programs, when I change it to photos, I cannot view the photos at all.

Is it possible my ipod is broken?

Where do I go to check it out?
Thank you.
David

Posted by David on December 5, 2007 at 9:21 AM (PDT)