Apple intros new iPod line, iTunes 7, iTV device | iLounge News

Apple intros new iPod line, iTunes 7, iTV device

image

At its special event today in San Francisco, Apple unveiled a completely revamped iPod lineup, including an updated fifth-generation iPod, new second-generation iPod nano, and an all-new iPod shuffle. The company also rolled out iTunes version 7 with movie downloads and several new features, and gave a preview of a forthcoming living room device tentatively called the iTV.

Reviews:
- Second-generation iPod nano

First Looks:
- Enhanced Fifth-generation iPod
- Second-generation iPod nano
- Second-generation iPod shuffle
- iTV (project code name)
- iTunes 7 and iTunes Store

News:
- Apple debuts new iPod with games
- Apple unveils all-new iPod nano with aluminum design
- Apple announces new ultra-tiny iPod shuffle
- iTunes 7 announced with movie downloads, new features
- Apple offers ‘sneak peek’ at iTV media router
- Apple’s special event by the numbers
- iLounge special event photo gallery
- iLounge live updates from special event

« NFL highlights coming to iTunes Store

Apple posts special event QuickTime stream »

Comments

can anyone actually download itunes 7?  i keep getting a “not a valid Win32 error”...

Posted by jt on September 12, 2006 at 2:38 PM (CDT)

Will gapless playback be available via a firmware upgrade for old 5G models? Or will we have to buy the new 5G for that feature?

Posted by ptzink on September 12, 2006 at 2:38 PM (CDT)

Just downloaded itunes 7 at work - no problem.

Posted by dvdns69 on September 12, 2006 at 2:44 PM (CDT)

Exactly what I was waiting for: higher capacities.  I’ve already ordered an 80 GB white 5G and an 8 GB black nano- Apple must love suckers like me.  Nano is supposed to ship within 24 hours and the 5 G within 1-3 business days.  Can’t wait!  I just wish they had the 8 GB nanos available in all colors as I would have gone for something other than black- oh well the important thing is the capacity, not the color.

Posted by dodo on September 12, 2006 at 2:45 PM (CDT)

god i hate apple sometimes.  i just bought a 60gb for $399 4 weeks ago… now there’s an 80 for $50 less.  AAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!

Posted by john on September 12, 2006 at 3:18 PM (CDT)

Will someone please explain what exactly gapless playback is?

Posted by Joey on September 12, 2006 at 3:21 PM (CDT)

so no touch screen iPod, that sucks, lovin the new ipods tho, might just purchase the worlds smallest mp3 player

Posted by anon on September 12, 2006 at 3:22 PM (CDT)

Will the older 5G iPods playback the new 640 x 480 H.264 videos from the music store? Or will we now have to upgrade our hardware just to play newly purchased videos.

Posted by LilAlienD in Maryland on September 12, 2006 at 3:27 PM (CDT)

ptzink
if you have latest software version it will automatically configure for gapless playback - my 5G is doing this as I type…

Joey,
It means there are no gaps between tracks during playback

Posted by Bob Levens in UK on September 12, 2006 at 3:32 PM (CDT)

what are the software updates for the older 5G ipods?  does the new browse/search get installed with ipod update?  I’ve been wanting that for years…

bummer my home computer’s in three pieces cos i moved, could be a week before i get around to unpacking the office… :(

Posted by Puck in washington dc on September 12, 2006 at 3:33 PM (CDT)

How in the heck does iTunes know which albums should be gapless???

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on September 12, 2006 at 3:35 PM (CDT)

Wow, Apple.  a whole set of unneccessary changes made to the iPods.  First off, I dunno if the size of the Shuffle is even a factor anymore.  It’s become more of a gimmick than an advancement in technology.  Second, the new Nanos seem like Steve is desperate to get rid of all the aluminum in his factory’s inventory from the previous iPod minis.  Kinda like when Nintendo bought too much colourful plastics for their Gameboys.  Now every Nintendo product comes in 5-6 different colours.  Notice how we now don’t have the option of getting the porcelain white & black nanos now.  He needs to rid himself of the aluminum.  Let’s face it, the price drop and cheesey games on the iPods are a clear sign that he’s trying to get rid of the 5G iPods to make way for the 6G.  But that’s just my theory.

Posted by Henry on September 12, 2006 at 3:40 PM (CDT)

I think I’ll wait for the ZUNE.  Totally unimpressed.  I’m sick of the problems I’ll encounter when I upgrade my 5G firmware and the new iTunes.  It will take weeks to resolve the problems.  I never have problems with Microsoft products and updates.

Posted by maddman on September 12, 2006 at 3:40 PM (CDT)

I was hoping for a touch screen ipod. It appears it wont be out just yet.
I like the new features of the video ipod but will will stick with my 3G ipod in the meantime.

Posted by Moo on September 12, 2006 at 3:41 PM (CDT)

Maybe it annalyzes how much sound is present at the very last and very beginning bit of the file and assumes it’s supposed to be continuous with the next track.

Posted by LilAlienD in Maryland on September 12, 2006 at 3:42 PM (CDT)

I’m tired of all the problems I will have in the future so I’m just going to give up now…

LOL!

Posted by salme on September 12, 2006 at 3:44 PM (CDT)

I like the new Shuffle.  I wouldn’t say the size is a gimic.  For working out, it will be nice to be able to clip it somewhere and not have to use the lanyard.  However, I have the current Shuffle with the Sport Case, so it will be interesting to see whether the new Shuffle looks like it will withstand moisture if it’s case-less.

New Nanos are nice too.  Can’t believe people are complaining about the aluminum above.  Isn’t this what many were asking for when the Nanos debuted, which is that the size was great, but it would be nice to have a scratchless casing.  I think those will be a hit.

I did notice that the Education store now doesn’t provide any discounts on any of the iPods.  Will be interesting to see whether this is always going to be the case now or whether the site just didn’t get updated correctly due to the rollout.

Posted by Rod Dunn on September 12, 2006 at 3:55 PM (CDT)

Thanks Bob! Just updated the firmware so I will have to check it out soon. We have wanted that in an iPod for a while!

Posted by ptzink on September 12, 2006 at 3:57 PM (CDT)

Galley: “gapless playback” just means that the iPod now moves seamlessly from one tune on an album to the next like a CD player, without introducing a “gap” of silence between the two tracks, which all previous iPods have done (and which has infuriated me no end ever since I bought my 5G last fall).

Posted by celtic_elk on September 12, 2006 at 3:58 PM (CDT)

Sweet!! iTunes burns CD’s with CD-TEXT now!! I’ve been waiting for this (even though I rarely burn CD’s now….)

Posted by mattcrane on September 12, 2006 at 4:02 PM (CDT)

Page 1 of 4 pages  1 2 3 >  Last ›