Apple intros new iPod line, iTunes 7, iTV device | iLounge News

Apple intros new iPod line, iTunes 7, iTV device

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Tuesday, September 12, 2006
News Categories: iPod

image

At its special event today in San Francisco, Apple unveiled a completely revamped iPod lineup, including an updated fifth-generation iPod, new second-generation iPod nano, and an all-new iPod shuffle. The company also rolled out iTunes version 7 with movie downloads and several new features, and gave a preview of a forthcoming living room device tentatively called the iTV.

Reviews:
- Second-generation iPod nano

First Looks:
- Enhanced Fifth-generation iPod
- Second-generation iPod nano
- Second-generation iPod shuffle
- iTV (project code name)
- iTunes 7 and iTunes Store

News:
- Apple debuts new iPod with games
- Apple unveils all-new iPod nano with aluminum design
- Apple announces new ultra-tiny iPod shuffle
- iTunes 7 announced with movie downloads, new features
- Apple offers ‘sneak peek’ at iTV media router
- Apple’s special event by the numbers
- iLounge special event photo gallery
- iLounge live updates from special event

« NFL highlights coming to iTunes Store

Apple posts special event QuickTime stream »

Comments

Just to clear things up, as I’m at work and can’t check now. Is there a new firmware upgrade for the original iPod w/ Video? Does it include gapless playback functionality?

Posted by NeuroPunk on September 12, 2006 at 1:03 PM (PDT)

“I never have problems with Microsoft products and updates.”

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! That made my day. Thanks.

Posted by The Lottery on September 12, 2006 at 1:10 PM (PDT)

I’m very disappointed with Apple. I was wanting to see the iPhone or true video iPod seeing as how we are coming up on the end of the year.

I know that lots of people had been wanting aluminum cashing for the nano but seeing as how I have over 40GB of music, I don’t need a nano.

Posted by Elementten on September 12, 2006 at 1:13 PM (PDT)

just updated my 5G video ipod i get the rapid letter search in the middle of my screen when i move fast over the wheel but i dont see a search feature in any setting etc..guess its just in the new ones that are shipping after today….bummers

Posted by uksponge on September 12, 2006 at 1:19 PM (PDT)

Does anyone know if the new nanos have gapless playback as well? That would be killer!

Thanks in advance for you answer.

Posted by wizardman on September 12, 2006 at 1:22 PM (PDT)

I just installed iTunes 7, and nothing will play. Anyone else having this issue?

Posted by Jason on September 12, 2006 at 1:24 PM (PDT)

john, it could always be worse, i bought a 30gb ipod for $299 last night at an apple store where i heard the salesperson say they did not know anything about any upcoming new models….sigh

Posted by LD on September 12, 2006 at 1:26 PM (PDT)

Will the gapless playback work on my 4g color iPod… anyone find this answer?

Posted by jeremytheindian on September 12, 2006 at 1:28 PM (PDT)

While the new Minis…I mean Nanos are most welcome additions, I am disappointed that no new widescreen video iPod was announced. I still think Apple has that one up it’s sleeve and probably saving it for the first quarter 2007 when their ITV media center rolls out. I think I will hold onto my 60 GB iPod until then. I am loving that Shuffle though and will probably get one of those for work.

Posted by Tenchi211 in California on September 12, 2006 at 1:29 PM (PDT)

I updated to the 1.2 firmware and the playback is not quite gapless. It is, however, as close to gapless as I have ever heard an iPod. Hopefully, they will have the last few bugs worked out for the next firmware release. Getting closer to true gapless…

Posted by ptzink on September 12, 2006 at 1:34 PM (PDT)

NeuroPunk,
I just downloaded and installed iTunes 7 and once I started it for the first time, it updates your library.

Next it will go through all of your music and you will see que at the top of itunes (where it normally tells you which songs are playing or downloading) saying “Determining Gapless Playback” and you will see it going through all the songs in the library.  Similar to turning on the Sound Check feature.  Hope this helps.  It looks like the gapless playback is actually from itunes not the actual iPod.

Posted by 3rdEye on September 12, 2006 at 1:34 PM (PDT)

Thanks 3rdEye!

Posted by NeuroPunk on September 12, 2006 at 1:44 PM (PDT)

Why do ppl want touchscreen? I mean really. You are going to watch videos on it. Why put finger prints all over it? I dont get it. I’m still confused with the whole gapless stuff.

Posted by Joey on September 12, 2006 at 2:00 PM (PDT)

Can the new ipod play old 320 X 280 videos(or whatever they played) and does the new ipod come with the games?

Posted by Eric Lewis on September 12, 2006 at 2:12 PM (PDT)

can u email me with the answer?

Posted by Eric Lewis on September 12, 2006 at 2:16 PM (PDT)

Interestingly, the gapless feature seems to be working, but the “part of a gapless album” field was not checked on “The Dark Side Of The Moon”.

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on September 12, 2006 at 2:21 PM (PDT)

Damn you Apple!  Have just downloaded PAC MAN game and my childhood addiction is back! Darn ghosts!

Posted by 911joe on September 12, 2006 at 2:39 PM (PDT)

Joey:  imagine you have a live cd…like a live pearl jam cd, or ‘nirvana unplugged’.  on the original cd, if you weren’t looking at the track indicator, you wouldn’t really know when it switched from one track to another.

well…if you’d ripped that cd and made it mp3 or aac files, it would place a small gap between the beginning of one track and the ending of the previous one.  now, with ‘gapless playback’, that tiny gap is gone…so, when you listen to a continuous album (like my aforementioned live albums, or floyd’s dark side of the moon), you will just hear one continuous stream of music, as was intended by the artist.

smile

this is extra good if you listen to either live or techno/trance/blah blah blah albums, as they’re often recorded as one big chunk and then split up into tracks w/ no real division in the actual music.

Posted by OnlyShawn on September 12, 2006 at 2:51 PM (PDT)

Interesting problem in iTunes 7…If I try to add files to library, it only lets me add 2-3 at a time. I could add an entire album before (Windoes version). Anyone else see this problem yet?

Posted by jimlat on September 12, 2006 at 3:13 PM (PDT)

I can’t download itunes 7.  It just goes to the download page, but there is no icon or graphic to click on.  The new nanos look cool, but I do wish they had a radio tuner built in.

Posted by rama on September 12, 2006 at 3:33 PM (PDT)

Page 2 of 4 pages  <  1 2 3 4 >