Apple intros new iPod line, iTunes 7, iTV device | iLounge News

Apple intros new iPod line, iTunes 7, iTV device

image

At its special event today in San Francisco, Apple unveiled a completely revamped iPod lineup, including an updated fifth-generation iPod, new second-generation iPod nano, and an all-new iPod shuffle. The company also rolled out iTunes version 7 with movie downloads and several new features, and gave a preview of a forthcoming living room device tentatively called the iTV.

Reviews:
- Second-generation iPod nano

First Looks:
- Enhanced Fifth-generation iPod
- Second-generation iPod nano
- Second-generation iPod shuffle
- iTV (project code name)
- iTunes 7 and iTunes Store

News:
- Apple debuts new iPod with games
- Apple unveils all-new iPod nano with aluminum design
- Apple announces new ultra-tiny iPod shuffle
- iTunes 7 announced with movie downloads, new features
- Apple offers ‘sneak peek’ at iTV media router
- Apple’s special event by the numbers
- iLounge special event photo gallery
- iLounge live updates from special event

« NFL highlights coming to iTunes Store

Apple posts special event QuickTime stream »

Comments

I just tried Evanescence for gapless playback on my 2Gb ipod Nano first generation (dammit now i have to say first generation)and the song tourniquet and imaginary on the cd both play into each other but on my ipod their is still a gap so to answer everyone’s question i guess gapless playback does not work on old ipods, and i might get the new shuffle cause it looks kinda sweet.

Posted by Amy on September 12, 2006 at 3:46 PM (PDT)

Yeah…  I am not particulary thrilled by the Jobs today’s announcement.  Pickin up the lag from Amazon and Msoft here. Read http://www.technofornication.com/?p=121

Posted by frederic on September 12, 2006 at 3:51 PM (PDT)

that Gapless playback works a charm. Just updated my year-old 5th gen. Suddenly Brian Wilson’s “Smile” and Neutral Milk Hotel’s “In The Aeroplane Over The Sea” sound a whole lot better.

Posted by Lawrence Mikkelsen in New Zealand on September 12, 2006 at 4:06 PM (PDT)

I got iTunes OK, but got an unknown error (1417) when updating my 5G Windows iPod. I’ve tried resetting, but the same error occurs, and no joy on the Apple support site. I’m going to drop a message there now…

Posted by ToreUs on September 12, 2006 at 4:08 PM (PDT)

Is iTunes 7 less demanding on hardware ?

Posted by frederic on September 12, 2006 at 5:42 PM (PDT)

I AM ALSO HAVING TROUBLE DOWNLOADING ITUNES 7. I GO TO THE DOWNLOAD PAGE AND THERE IS NOTHING TO CLICK ON. PLEASE HELP.

Posted by Jonathan on September 12, 2006 at 6:07 PM (PDT)

So it seems like the new features such as search, gapless playback and video games will be available in the older iPods with an update?

I suppose that’s something but frankly there are so many other features that would be so easy to add and are really desperately needed.  When are they going to add the ability to view folders containing playlists etc. on the iPod itself???  How about the ability to queue playlists so that when one playlist stops playing, the next one will start automatically?  I don’t know how many times I’ve needed this feature while driving!  And when are they going to fix the broken duplicates feature???  It’s all very well to be able to detect and delete duplicate songs but it doesn’t really solve the underlying problem.  If a song appears in three different “albums” (for example, an EP, an LP and a Best of) then why should I have to choose to delete this entry from two of those?  It would be so easy to add the capability to link several different entries in the library with specific file and metadata so, for example, there would be a single rating and play count for a given song but you could listen to that song as part of whatever albums it belongs to.  Perfect solution: no wasted space, no multiple entries for one song each with its own play count and still the ability to listen to the song as part of the various albums etc. that it belongs to that!

Hello Apple!  Are you listening?

Posted by Christian on September 12, 2006 at 6:17 PM (PDT)

I love many of the new features announced for iTunes 7 today (have yet to download) but ONE thing I was hoping Jobs would announce was albums in Apple lossless quality for sound like the master CD for us audiophilles. wasn’t there a story not to long ago about Apple lossless encoding now being in the iTunes Producers package?

Posted by Sean on September 12, 2006 at 7:16 PM (PDT)

I also had problems downloading the update on the download page because there was nothing to click.  I then disabled my Norton Internet Security and, voila, the download icon showed up.  Clicked, downloaded, and installed without a hitch.  After updating the software and restarting my computer, I plugged in my 5g and iTunes automatically recognized that my 5g needed to be updated to version 1.2 software.  That also was done without a hitch.  Hope this helps.

Posted by Art on September 12, 2006 at 10:37 PM (PDT)

When I installed the new iTunes my icons changed to weird photo icons on my desktop.  Anyone else have that prob?

Posted by kryptos on September 12, 2006 at 10:53 PM (PDT)

kryptos:

I run Windows XP and this happened to me as well. Don’t know why. I had to delete the icons and then create new shortcuts for both iTunes and Quicktime to get proper-looking icons.

Posted by Galex on September 13, 2006 at 12:31 AM (PDT)

I dunno if this has just happened to me or what, but I just updated my ipod, and it has the gapless playback, but for some reason, when I went to play The Wall, when it went from one track to another, the second got really loud, I dunno what’s going on :\

Posted by matrixSJD on September 13, 2006 at 12:45 AM (PDT)

I CANT UPDATE IPOD….
Everytime i click ‘update’ on the summary tab, the ipod gets disconnected and a dialogue opens up saying ‘updating ipod’...am i suppose to wait for this??i mean, its been up for a while…and plus it has disconnected my ipod…

Posted by teknikal on September 13, 2006 at 1:31 AM (PDT)

btw, i have a 5G 30 gb ipod…

Posted by teknikal on September 13, 2006 at 1:32 AM (PDT)

Well, I am still getting the gap in between songs with the new firmware. I have a gen 1 5G (60GB) with VBR encoded MP3s (using LAME). Is there some kind of option I have to “check” to get the gapless playback to work?
The quick scroll feature is working quite nicely, however.

Posted by ptzink on September 13, 2006 at 3:04 AM (PDT)

Evidently, you will not get gapless playback unless you sync your iPod with your iTunes library (which I do not do since I have anapod explorer and use Winamp for playback). Gapless works in iTunes great, but Winamp has had gapless playback for years. Anyone know the trick to getting gapless on the iPod without doing a sync in iTunes?

Posted by ptzink on September 13, 2006 at 3:51 AM (PDT)

Wow, would you look at that? There’s no iPhone yet. Hmmm, I wonder what that crackpot “analyst” said. Every time these analysts make an outrageous prediction, it turns out to be horribly, terribly wrong.

Posted by borschnov on September 13, 2006 at 4:21 AM (PDT)

With itunes 7, when i run other programes such as games, the audio increases in speed? With itunes 6 there wasnt this problem. has anyone else experienced this?

Posted by Randombob on September 13, 2006 at 5:30 AM (PDT)

Hang on a mo, how can Apple call thier TV service iTV, have they not thought of the British corparation who have been calling themselves ITV since 1955!!!

Secondly, it never surprises me to see SO MANY BUGS in iTunes 7, disconnecting iPods, bad audio, me well I can’t even update my iPOD (5gen) to FW1.2 as it has unknown errors, files being used by something in windows, yesh - one day they’ll actually test thier software first.

Posted by XOR on September 13, 2006 at 6:27 AM (PDT)

My credit card was in my hand ready to purchase the touchscreen video IPod which they didn’t release yesterday. So I basically refuse to purchase a new IPod until the “true” video touchscreen IPod gets released. What’s the point of having movies if you can’t watch them on a device built for it. I’m going to seriously start looking at other video devices if Apple doesn’t release theirs very soon. Very dissapointing.

Posted by poiznelf on September 13, 2006 at 7:16 AM (PDT)

Page 3 of 4 pages  <  1 2 3 4 >