Apple intros new U2 iPod | iLounge News

Apple intros new U2 iPod

image

Apple today announced a new version of the special edition U2 iPod based on the fifth-generation iPod model. The new U2 iPod is available with 30GB capacity and features a new all-black enclosure with special black stainless steel back, red Click Wheel, and engraving of U2 band member signatures. The new U2 iPod is priced at $329—a $30 premium over the regular 30GB iPod. Apple said U2 iPod customers will also receive 30 minutes of exclusive U2 videos from the iTunes Music Store with their purchase. “We’re thrilled to continue working with one of the greatest bands in the world to bring U2 fans a special edition of the world’s best digital music player,” said Greg Joswiak, Apple’s VP iPod Product Marketing. “With its distinctive new design, including an all-black stainless steel enclosure, the new U2 iPod is sure to be a hit.”

See our First Looks: Apple Computer iPod U2 Special Edition (with video)

« Apple files second copyright suit against Creative

Report: Apple nabbing flash memory for iPod update »

Comments

neat.

I just find it ironic that those of us who WILL buy this iPod for it’s looks, will most likely place it in some kinda protective skin, therefore HIDING the thing that inspired it’s purchase. You think Apple’s gonna start making some black n red earbuds?

THAT would be nice….

Posted by ahMEmon on June 6, 2006 at 6:41 AM (PDT)

I saw this on the Apple page even before this is posted on iLounge!! Yay!!!

Posted by hoho on June 6, 2006 at 6:41 AM (PDT)

I like the black back, but I’m not keen on the signatures on it, the red click wheel and least of all the $30 price hike for no extra features

Posted by Ssco on June 6, 2006 at 6:42 AM (PDT)

Grrrrr!
I’m not first poster!!
Sorry, I’m just so hyped about this thing!!

Posted by hoho on June 6, 2006 at 6:44 AM (PDT)

I’d be alot more excited if they offered a 60 GB model. I already have my old 40 GB iPod full without any videos.

Posted by dpotts on June 6, 2006 at 7:16 AM (PDT)

I want an 8GB nano not a rehashed U2pod.

Posted by Phil Smith on June 6, 2006 at 7:40 AM (PDT)

For god sake. I lost all respect for Bonno after I heard he was at the white house showing Bush the new iPod. He talks about ending poverty yet he has freindly chats with the man causing so many problems in the world.

The rest of the band are fine though :p

Could apple not have introduced a Red iPod to help against aids rather than this crap.

Posted by Peachey on June 6, 2006 at 7:47 AM (PDT)

Peachey, Bono would achieve nothing by yelling at Bush and publicly directing his anger at him. In case you have not noticed, activists working on such a global scale as Bono is rarely ever achieve their goals through making enemies with those in charge, as powerful leaders do not like to work with people who insult and hate them. While slinging accusations and anger at him may feel good, in reality it accomplishes nothing. You have to convince people like Bush to support your goals, and not try to force them using outrage and anger; otherwise, they will ignore you. Say whatever you will about Bono, he has accomplished an incredible amount for a musician, and has done so in a realistic way that yields real results. By the sound of your post, it sounds like we share similar idealogical beliefs, so please know that I say this as someone with similar political beliefs as you. a large problem with the world is too many people protesting and speaking about change, and not enough people actually doing anything realistic. you may not like the man personally, but it is hard to deny that at least he is trying to do something realistic.

Posted by Johnny on June 6, 2006 at 7:55 AM (PDT)

ahMEmon,

Not everyone is as obsessed with the astetic well-being of their iPod as you.  I HATE cases of any kind - it’s like putting a bra on your car or covering your couch in plastic.  People need to understand that cases, whether for their PDA, iPods, cameras or cell phones makes them look CHEAP.  It gives the impression that your current iPod is the only shiny thing you’ve ever had in your life and you have to do whatever it takes to keep it looking that way until the end of time.  PLEASE, people, stop with the cases!

Posted by A on June 6, 2006 at 7:58 AM (PDT)

I would buy one of these immediately if they would stop messing around and create a version with a 60GB drive.  It irritates me that they have only offered it in the smallest capacities.

Posted by Jason on June 6, 2006 at 8:04 AM (PDT)

spoken like a true apple snob, A. perhaps the notion that some people cannot afford to always get or replace the lastest high-tech toys is a foreign concept to you. maybe the idea that some people would prefer that their ultra-scratchable iPod remains in decent condition and does not end up dull and scratched, with an unreadable screen. the idea that cases make an iPod look cheap is ridiculous; a case makes it look like you actually give a #### about protecting your iPod, it shows that you actually care enough about it not to want it to get shredded to bits. it does not make it look ‘CHEAP’, as you stated; it is very difficult to make an iPod look cheap. perhaps if the case was made out of paper, but otherwise, it takes significant effort to make a $300 piece of electronics look cheap. moreover, i can never help but regard a person who spends hundreds of dollars on a high-tech piece of electronics but won’t shell out a few bucks to keep it safe as a fool. does this principal apply to other apsects of your life as well? do you refuse to wear a seatbelt in a car, or a helmet while biking? do you ski in a tuxedo? its the same concept. maybe you should stop being so judgemental and incredibly vain.

Posted by Bradley on June 6, 2006 at 8:11 AM (PDT)

Jason, i agree with you there. I like the look of it, but 30GB isn’t enough for my library. it seems as though it wouldn’t be a difficult matter for Apple to make a 60GB U2 iPod. I also can’t help but wonder why they waited so long after the release of the video-iPod to release the U2 video-iPod.

Posted by Bradley on June 6, 2006 at 8:13 AM (PDT)

Yes! I’ve been waiting for these new iPods to come out in black!

wait…

Posted by Samuel on June 6, 2006 at 8:24 AM (PDT)

A

If iPods were like cellphones and didn’t scratch as easily then MAYBE more people would refrain from using cases.

With that in mind, I figure that if you were going to get a “special” iPod, with engraved signatures, different colour scheme etc., then most likely you would be very particular about preserving it’s appearance.

I know a couple people who bought the previous U2 iPods and they were VERY ANAL about keeping it scratch-free. Regular iPod owners didn’t care as much, myself included.

Why do you think that is…?

Cases have one other feature, at least for me. The iPod, being shiny and smooth can also be very slippery, especially when placed in pockets, they have the tendency to slip and fall out. In my case, I have a rubber iSkin guarantees that my iPod stays put.

Posted by ahMEmon on June 6, 2006 at 8:26 AM (PDT)

If iPods were like cellphones…

They are…especially if the phone’s a BlackBerry. Ever seen how easy the screen on a BB scratches? My 7100t’s screen was a disaster, even AFTER a case/screen protector was used. The Speck case for the 7100 is about as useless as they come, because its silicon allows the hard plastic protector—which is always in contact with the screen—to slide around. This sort of movement happens often, particulary when the phone goes in a pocket. Reading emails and surfing the ‘net get a tad bit BLURRY as a result. Look at that screen long enough, and you’d SWEAR that you needed to have your eyes examined.

Oh, how I’m counting the minutes before my 8700g’s shiny 5G-like finished screen gets its first scar.

As for the 5G U2 iPod…I guess they’re not really a monster band in Apple’s eyes, because they don’t get a monster HD version (aka 60GB, by current AAPL standards. Not that 60GB is enough these days, anyways, but for us storage hogs the implications are clear…

Posted by flatline response on June 6, 2006 at 9:17 AM (PDT)

Comments on cases and ipods.

I have my ipod in an agent18 clear case. If one was to put this new U2 version in one or even onf of its clear-based competitors such as the isee, contour, etc. everything would be visable and you still attain protection. As far as cases go, I will only say this, safe ipod’ing is like safe sex, better to be safe than sorry.

Posted by rob on June 6, 2006 at 9:18 AM (PDT)

Bradley,

I’m not a snob, and I’m not rich.  I just think that cases are UGLY.  iPods are beautiful, but no one can see that if a case is used.  As for your seatbelt anaolgy, I don’t see how that even begins to make sense. I’m not talking about saftey, I’m talking about astetics.

I picture you as the type of person that wears his cell phone on his belt and his keys attached to a climbing clip.

Posted by A on June 6, 2006 at 9:21 AM (PDT)

“iPods are beautiful, but no one can see that if a case is used. “

Call me an idiot, if you will, but I carry my 5G iPod (and the 3G iPod before that one) in an iPod sock… I never used rigid or sillicone/rubber cases, just the original 3G Apple belt-clip case, and I can tell you, the socks beat the belt-clip case on scratch-protectiveness. Yeah, that’s right, the belt-clip case actually *scratched* the iPod, while the sock keeps it clean and shiny. I’ve had my 5G since November, and it’s only lightly scratched, and I carry it with me almost at all times in my pocket.

Honestly, I don’t know what you people do to your iPods… Do you carry them along with keys and change? raspberry

Posted by Mainyehc in Lisbon, Portugal on June 6, 2006 at 10:29 AM (PDT)

Looks like you no longer get the coupon for the “Complete U2” digital box set.

For the record, A, my 3G iPod has always been kept in a padded sport sleeve/case.  It gets kicked around in my briefcase, tossed about in the front of my car and sweated up when I run but guess what: no scratches and it still works great.  The newer, pocket-sized digital cameras will all need cases, as well, or the big-a$$ view screens will get scratched to heck.

Posted by superape on June 6, 2006 at 12:40 PM (PDT)

“iPods are beautiful, but no one can see that if a case is used.”

Lets just put our 300$ ipod into our pocket and let it look like sh!t.

Just buy a CLEAR plastic case or a nice screen cover at least.

As for the new U2 Version. Just buy a moshi red-black ipod stick on faceplate. that way if u get tired of the U2 look u can peel er’ off. same extra price.

Posted by RedApple on June 6, 2006 at 12:41 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >