Apple intros new U2 iPod | iLounge News

Apple intros new U2 iPod

image

Apple today announced a new version of the special edition U2 iPod based on the fifth-generation iPod model. The new U2 iPod is available with 30GB capacity and features a new all-black enclosure with special black stainless steel back, red Click Wheel, and engraving of U2 band member signatures. The new U2 iPod is priced at $329—a $30 premium over the regular 30GB iPod. Apple said U2 iPod customers will also receive 30 minutes of exclusive U2 videos from the iTunes Music Store with their purchase. “We’re thrilled to continue working with one of the greatest bands in the world to bring U2 fans a special edition of the world’s best digital music player,” said Greg Joswiak, Apple’s VP iPod Product Marketing. “With its distinctive new design, including an all-black stainless steel enclosure, the new U2 iPod is sure to be a hit.”

See our First Looks: Apple Computer iPod U2 Special Edition (with video)

« Apple files second copyright suit against Creative

Report: Apple nabbing flash memory for iPod update »

Comments

Wiik. u2 sucks. i think its time for a different band (as long as its not Dave Matthews)

Posted by shon on June 6, 2006 at 12:52 PM (PDT)

in response to shon

while i love u2, apple could release a special version for Keane, in order to make up for iTunes accidently releasing their album 2 weeks in advance (in belgium) and possibly killing their chances on debuting number 1.

Posted by cosmok on June 6, 2006 at 12:59 PM (PDT)

Isn’t the whole “Special Edition” thing wearing off when this is the 3rd rehash of the same “Special Edition” product?

I could understand them doing it back in October (they were using the U2 video in all of the marketing material) but not now after so long and 2 previous models.

Posted by Daveoc64 on June 6, 2006 at 2:17 PM (PDT)

I agree that cases are a good thing. I don’t care about my phone so much (it’s just a tool) but a case for your iPod has several advantages as mentioned above. It also increases resale value (not that I can see myself ever selling mine). I just wish Apple would diamond-coat the things.

However it would be nice for something different than a U2 edition. They killed the mini after a year but the U2 edition is still kicking.

One more thing: the prices should be the same as normal iPods regardless of the bonus material. Just make it an actual limited edition.

BTW, A, it’s spelled “aesthetics”. wink

Posted by Pikemann_Urge on June 6, 2006 at 2:37 PM (PDT)

First off, I also agree that cases are ugly, add bulk, and hide the beauty that is the iPod.  The first case I bought was an iSkin which was absolutely horrible, and then an Agent 18, which just didn’t look right.  It only takes away from all of it.  I admit that something worse would be a bare iPod with tons of scratches, but I take care of my gear.  I always have a clear, thin film over the front, back, and screen and noone knows it’s there.

As for the U2 iPod.  Dull and boring.  Seems like they didn’t put any time into it at all.  They could of at LEAST picked a different band and/or color.  If this is the effort they’re taking, I’m worried about next gen iPods.

Posted by Sean on June 6, 2006 at 4:10 PM (PDT)

“I picture you as the type of person that wears his cell phone on his belt and his keys attached to a climbing clip.”

Perhaps you need to get a better mental image. Neither of those two things are true, but the fact that you level these as negative accusations says all that needs to be said about your highbrow, superior attitude. If you would like to know, I happen to pride myself in my appearance; I do not spend a fortune on my wardrobe, but I like to look stylish (moreso, I would say, than the averag eman of my age), and believe it or not, I actually do put quite a bit of effort into maintaining my appearance. What I do not do is let my vanity get so carried away that it dictates my personality and makes me a rude, condescending snob.

As for cases, I don’t imagine there are many people left in the parts of the world we live in who won’t recognize an iPod in a case. Maybe you underestimate the ability of people to perceive what they see. You are correct in your statement that a bare iPod is more aesthetically pleasing than one in a case; perhaps what you don’t realize is that an iPod in a case, while easily recognizeable, is also a lot prettier than a scratched-up, worn out device that has completely lost its luster.

Let me explain the analogy I made. While wearing a seabelt or a helmet may not look very stylish, they protect you and keep you safe while participating in potentially dangerous activities. Obviously, the protection one gains from employing such devices is well worth the “eyesore” that comes along with them. A case has a very similar function; it protects the iPod from damage during potentially dangerous activities (which for the iPod is everyday use). While they may not look as pretty as the iPod itself, their function is important enough to negate any negative aesthetics associated with them.

Posted by Bradley on June 6, 2006 at 5:27 PM (PDT)

yeah i don’t know why they keep bringing this back - of all the ipods i’ve seen i’ve only ever seen one u2 so it’s probably not that popular. but i do like the black stainless steel, unless of course it slowly wears in which case it would look like ####.

and to put in my 2 cents, i’ve never used a case and my 1.5 year old 4g still looks fine. i keep it in my pocket, backpack; i’ve dropped it a few times. unless you’re looking really close it’s still shiney, looks great, and works. and yes, i think it looks better than any case. having said that, i also don’t really care enough to criticize people for their particular ipod use. nor would i really take anything written on an online discussion board personally. i just like my ipod that’s all.

Posted by jm on June 6, 2006 at 6:56 PM (PDT)

Will the black back get scratched and easily marked like the normal ipod back?

Posted by hoody91 on June 7, 2006 at 1:10 AM (PDT)

I’m suprised that they’ve brought out a new U2 ipod and not a “Red” one, even if a totally red ipod would have been truely hideous, how come Bono didnt get some of the proceeds to go to his AIDS charity??

Posted by robroe in Manchester, UK on June 7, 2006 at 1:29 AM (PDT)

woohoo. as a U2 fan, it’s my obligation to buy this.

Posted by mcnut on June 7, 2006 at 2:34 AM (PDT)

Why the hell does U2 get so many special editions? How about putting out a special edition for a band that hasn’t gone drastically downhill? Seriously, Vertigo was one of the worst songs I’d heard in a couple of years.

Posted by rainking187 on June 7, 2006 at 5:44 AM (PDT)

Samuel said it best, in my opinion, what made the U2 iPod big with the 4 gen, was that you could get a black iPod… with black video ipods already available, I dont know how big of a hit this could really be…

Posted by redbridgeroad on June 7, 2006 at 10:23 AM (PDT)

In reality it probably costs $5 in materials to make an ipod. Ipod’s are way too expensive. I own one, and I keep mine in a case. My ipod also has screen protectors front and back. Buy screen protectors and a case and stop ########.

Posted by Jonathan on June 7, 2006 at 12:15 PM (PDT)

The good news here is that maybe the black back will find it’s way on to the next 60 (or hopefully bigger) gig. And if they would only loose the plastic front and make the whole thing brushed black metal, things would certainly be stylin.

Posted by zymonk on June 7, 2006 at 3:10 PM (PDT)

If anyone cares to see photos other than what is on the Apple site, you can go here:

That link also contains some screen shots and a description of the free video download that comes with the iPod this time.  No discount coupon for the “Complete U2” collection is included.

I got mine today via FedEx.  Yep, I am a U2 fan, but I never bought the original (or updated photo version).

Posted by Bob Reck in Baltimore, MD on June 7, 2006 at 4:47 PM (PDT)

the black brushed metal is sexy

Posted by redbridgeroad on June 7, 2006 at 5:57 PM (PDT)

Can you not buy this from anywhere other than the apple official website for less? Oh and is the front still plastic or is that metal too?

Posted by CuriousOne on June 8, 2006 at 2:55 AM (PDT)

dude, this Bradley guy is a ###### #####. you’re talking about a ‘toy’ man.. it costs 300dollars?... thinking about it its not expensive for the joy u obtain. wreck the thing. it deserves it. and it can take it. i wrecked my 3G for 3 years before it gave up! dropped from heights, run over by a bike once, dropped in a puddle, spilled pints on it, burnt it with cigarettes, and chewed on by my dog. it was grand. the end came when the harddisk burnt out from use (200 to fix, so i bought a new one).

replaced it with a 60gb 5g. excellent. im just wondering if this one can take the same punishment…

Posted by T on June 8, 2006 at 4:16 PM (PDT)

f.uck censorship.

Sanitization (removal) and whitewashing are almost interchangeable terms that refer to a particular form of censorship via omission, which seeks to “clean up” the portrayal of particular issues and/or facts that are already known, but that may be in conflict with the point of view of the censor. Some may consider extreme political correctness to be related, as a socially-imposed (rather than governmentally imposed) type of restriction, which, if taken to extremes, may qualify as self-censorship.

Posted by T on June 8, 2006 at 4:20 PM (PDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  <  1 2