Apple investigates iPod update problems | iLounge News

Apple investigates iPod update problems

“Apple Computer said Thursday that it is investigating reports that some iPod owners have had trouble updating their devices to take advantage of the company’s latest version of its iTunes jukebox software.

The Mac maker on Wednesday released an iPod software update in conjunction with its enhancement of iTunes. The iPod software is required for iPods to take advantage of the new features of iTunes 4.5 and the iTunes Music Store. However, a number of iPod owners say that when they run the software that is supposed to upgrade their devices, the software cannot detect their iPod.”

« Mac: AppleScripts for Toggling iTunes link arrows released

Transcript of iTunes conference call published »

Comments

i think apple beligerantly tries to ignore us…. Most of us have a problem when using the usb cable and updating, I havent read anything about not being able to detect the ipod…

Posted by ranova on April 29, 2004 at 9:14 PM (CDT)

I dont see what the problems with these people is. I downloaded the installer, click to update and it did it without a hitch. (im on a windows xp computer)
People must just be getting impatient and unplugging their ipods before the update was done.

Posted by Username on April 29, 2004 at 9:16 PM (CDT)

I’m running Windows XP. I updated to iTunes 1.45, and then updated my iPod software (1.4). But when I plugged in my iPod, iTunes wouldn’t recognize it.  What I finally ended up doing was a complete restore of iPod with the iPod Software Updater. Plugged it in and iTunes saw the iPod. Only thing is I just have to reload all my songs back to iPod.

Posted by Some Guy on April 29, 2004 at 9:16 PM (CDT)

it didn’t recognize mine and im a mac user with firewire…

Posted by ptd on April 29, 2004 at 9:53 PM (CDT)

I am using windows xp and i updated itunes and the ipod just fine. dont know what the rest of u are doing wrong.

Posted by Todd2fst4u on April 29, 2004 at 10:32 PM (CDT)

pc losers

Posted by jh on April 29, 2004 at 10:38 PM (CDT)

Think what you like jh, my pc updated just fine. Not all of us can afford macs.

Posted by Prerunnerz on April 29, 2004 at 10:48 PM (CDT)

I had my ipod connected to my pc and ran the updater. It didnt recognize my ipod. So I ejected the ipod, then restarted the updater and put the ipod in the dock after the software updater was running, everything went ok after that. If anyone one else is having this problem maybe that will help.

Posted by sean on April 29, 2004 at 11:43 PM (CDT)

I had problems updating a 3G ipod on a powerbook.  The updater appeared to run successfully up until it said “waiting for update to complete”.  The ipod went to “Save to remove” mode and sat there.  When i finally pulled it out (an hour or so later), it was locked up.  Resetting it, the updater said that it needed to be updated, and we repeated the whole thing.

I finally had to reset it while it was in the cradle before the update would take.  It’s seemed fine since.

Posted by Chuck on April 30, 2004 at 12:34 AM (CDT)

Mac user, 40GB iPod with 6.5 GB of free space left…Thank God my upgrade went off without a hitch.  I may have begun vomitting myself into unconsciousness otherwise.

Posted by Lindan in Las Vegas on April 30, 2004 at 12:35 AM (CDT)

It didn’t work the first time I tried, so i disabled hard drive use in iTunes and it worked fine.

Posted by Adam on April 30, 2004 at 12:37 AM (CDT)

This is not an XP problem, apparently.  I’m one of the people with the issue, there are some others who’ve posted on my blog about their experiences iwth the issue:

Everyone keep yr ears to the ground for any fixes on this one…

Posted by chris on April 30, 2004 at 12:59 AM (CDT)

mac losers

Posted by nrms on April 30, 2004 at 4:10 AM (CDT)

A-OK here

Windows XP & Firewire

Posted by zack on April 30, 2004 at 7:27 AM (CDT)

It didn’t work for me.  This is on an iMac with a firewire cable.  I plugged the iPod in, and it showed up in iTumes just fine, but as soon as I ran the iPod updater the iPod unmounted and the icon went away from the desktop, and the updater complained it couldn’t find my iPod.

The filesystem on the iPod has been reformatted to use vfat instead of hfs+, so that could be it. (In order to allow me to use my iPod under Linux…)  But I know 1G and 2G iPods use vfat if they’re Windows Ipods, right?  So the updater should know how to handle that… Anyways, the updater should just be writing to the first partition on the ipod disk, which is neither vfat or hfs+.

Posted by Michael Sherman on April 30, 2004 at 8:21 AM (CDT)

I made the update of both, the Ipod soft and iTunes on my laptop at work (Compaq EVO610) running WinXP pro, no problem…
then did the same at home, no difference in the process, BUT iTunes keep on saying that it doesn’t recognize the iPod. Uninstalled both, the update and iTunes, installed them again… the same thing, iTunes still doesn’t recognize the iPod (at home I’m using an HP Pavillion with XP pro too, both pcs are P4).

Posted by elwilly on April 30, 2004 at 8:26 AM (CDT)

“pc losers”

i tried to buy a mac once at the apple store, they wouldn’t sell me one and told me to come back when i’ve “gayed it up”

Posted by jr on April 30, 2004 at 8:39 AM (CDT)

No problems here with my iPod mini.

Posted by TheRaven on April 30, 2004 at 8:57 AM (CDT)

I had that problem, but I think it was in the installation order (QuickTime, iTunes and the iPod updater). In order to remedy the problem, I trashed the newest QuickTime, iTunes and iPod upgrader applications (which I had downloaded as stand-alone installers). I then reinstalled them in the following order: QuickTime (restart), iTunes (restart), iPod upgrader (restart). I then plugged in my iPod, which was finally recognized by the iPod updater, and updated the iPod. Everything is working well now, and iTunes recognizes my iPod, which it hadn’t before. Hope this helps. Oh, and I’m a Mac user (G5 Single 1.8).

Posted by JJ on April 30, 2004 at 8:59 AM (CDT)

My update went smooth on WindowXP with a P4 and a firewire card.

I have been working in the computer support industry for ten years and have supported both Macs and Windows desktops.  I have also supported Apple and Netware servers.  Limited Windows server experience.  There could be multipe reasons the update doesn’t run correctly.  Some program installed could be interferring or the computer may be lacking some Operating System update.  Apple will troubleshoot and figure it out eventually.

This is why I am leaving the computer industry and going back to school for kinesiology.  I don’t want to waste my life in a myriad of persnickety details.  I just want to use technology, not support it.

There are advantages and disadvantages to both the Windows and Macintosh operating systems.  Although I was happier when I worked on the Macintosh.  Sorry for the long post.

Posted by JFK99 on April 30, 2004 at 9:26 AM (CDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >