Apple investigates iPod update problems | iLounge News

Apple investigates iPod update problems

“Apple Computer said Thursday that it is investigating reports that some iPod owners have had trouble updating their devices to take advantage of the company’s latest version of its iTunes jukebox software.

The Mac maker on Wednesday released an iPod software update in conjunction with its enhancement of iTunes. The iPod software is required for iPods to take advantage of the new features of iTunes 4.5 and the iTunes Music Store. However, a number of iPod owners say that when they run the software that is supposed to upgrade their devices, the software cannot detect their iPod.”

« Mac: AppleScripts for Toggling iTunes link arrows released

Transcript of iTunes conference call published »

Comments

I had an initial problem…  I installed iTunes 4.5, then the iPod 2.2 update on XP SP2 RC1
When docking the iPod, the software loaded, telling me that the firmware needed to be updated.  The update did not complete, because the device was in use by another program?

I started My Computer, “Ejected” the iPod drive, then ran the update with no issues.

Quick question to the masses:

How big of a battery hit does Apple Lossless playback cause?

Posted by John on April 30, 2004 at 8:59 AM (PDT)

I had this issue also.  I used to use my ipod on a winxp machine but have since switched it over to my new mac.  The installer came up and my ipod icon went away and it could not be found. It came right back and then locked up.  I ended up losing a lot of my music on the ipod.  basically, I finally realized that my ipod was still setup for Windows.  I restored it and then added the music back on and it worked fine. smile

Posted by dogofgod on April 30, 2004 at 9:29 AM (PDT)

TiBook, Panther, Firewire….

Refuses to see my 3G ipod with the latest updater.

I still have the last iPod updater on my mac and when I run it, it sees the device just fine. It’s only an issue with the 2.2 updater, and only on Mac.

Posted by javadog on April 30, 2004 at 10:01 AM (PDT)

My 3G iPod was configured on my WinXP desktop at home. Works fine with my PowerBook, until I tried to use the OS-X iPod updater. When I ran the updater, the iPod unmounted and the updater complained. I downloaded the iPod updater for Windows when I got home, and that worked fine. So it looks like the OS-X updater does not work with VFAT formatted iPods, based on my experience and other posters here.

I’m not sure why there are some people who feel the need to insult users of other operating systems, unless they have some deep-seated insecurity they’re trying to compensate for.

Bander

Posted by Bander on April 30, 2004 at 10:14 AM (PDT)

Updated a 3g 20gb and a iPod Mini on 2 seperate Windows computers no probs here.

Also, i own a PC and a MAC does this make me a double loser or do they cancel eachover out :p

Posted by Alastair Foster on April 30, 2004 at 10:54 AM (PDT)

no, it means your bi-sexual

Posted by microapple on April 30, 2004 at 1:19 PM (PDT)

I made several attempts to update my 3G iPod using a G4 running Panther and had the same problem mentioned above, namely ‘update complete ... leave connected’, etc.  I then used my PC running XP, connected via FireWire, and was able to update my iPod without any problems at all.

Ironic.

Posted by Gabe on May 1, 2004 at 1:25 PM (PDT)

PC Users. Try installing the upgrade after disabling your firewall software.

Posted by razmig on May 2, 2004 at 1:46 PM (PDT)

After loading the software, I was asked to restart the computer (eMac), although the iPod was still plugged in and still read “Do not disconnect.”  But when I restarted the computer and plugged the iPod back in, the upgrade was completed quickly.  Two problems, though:  the screen, when turned on without the backlighting, is so faint as to be legible only under strong light; and it took a long time to recharge the iPod the next time I had to. I also had to recover my old playlists, but I suppose that is normal.

Posted by rick on May 17, 2004 at 7:59 AM (PDT)

I’m on Win2K.  When I run the update, it asks me to agree to license and all, then says “Installing 2004-04-28 Update files” and then nothing.  It appears as though the process for the install program crashes.

You can leave your iPod in all day long and nothing gets updated.  What seems to be the solution, kids?

Posted by Sean on July 1, 2004 at 7:20 AM (PDT)

Using Windows XP, my computer ( A Dell 8600) refuses to recognize the existence of the ipod in the USB port.  I don’t know what’s going wrong, but I’ve spent hours trying to figure it out.  The apple site isn’t helping much either…

Posted by Mike on August 26, 2004 at 4:44 PM (PDT)

hello,
i am on the verge of smashing my ipod.  ever since i updated to 2.2 on my 15GB 2nd gen (i beleive - touch wheel 4 button) running on an XP system, the system crashes completely every time i connect my ipod.  then i can’t reboot till i dinconnect mt ipod.  i heard about a boot order problem, but that is clearly not it.  anyone run into this.  it’s killing me…

please post a link to a forum that this particular update problem is discussed in.

thanks…

Posted by fivefour on September 9, 2004 at 12:17 PM (PDT)

Got a new ipod. the first thing i see when i turn it on is a picture of a folder and an exclamation point. I can’t seem to get beyond that point. Any ideas?
thanks!

Posted by nick on October 24, 2004 at 10:58 AM (PDT)

fivefour-

I have a similar problem. I installed the software updates that appear when you search for software updates, so i updated iTunes before i ran the Ipod updater. Now when I try to plug in my ipod, my Powerbook opens iTunes and crashes. I have no way to run the iPod updater now though because I can’t plug my iPod in. This is very annoying. And it seems that no one knows how to fix my problem.

Does anyone know how to install an iTunes update?

As far as I know,  this is impossible because apple only allows one version of iTunes out at a time.

Posted by shannynegans in marshfield, ma on November 14, 2004 at 7:04 PM (PDT)

i am having the same problem with my custom built 64-bit XP machine. My USB recognizes the ipod, but the updater will not. it says it canno mount my ipod. i tunes does not recognize it either. i have tried uninstalling and reinstalling all the progs., even deleted the folders left behind, but still nothing. WTF! HELP!

Posted by max on August 6, 2005 at 10:38 AM (PDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  <  1 2