Apple investigating iOS 4 on iPhone 3G issues | iLounge News

Apple investigating iOS 4 on iPhone 3G issues

Apple is looking into reports that iOS 4 is causing a number of issues when installed on iPhone 3G units. The Wall Street Journal reports that a number of user reports have cropped up on Apple’s support forums, with the most common complaints being that the phone is slow after the upgrade, that it drains the battery quickly, or that it gets unreasonably hot. “This phone has gone from being a dream to constantly annoying me. Not a way to make friends. I would upgrade to an iPhone 4, but I’m feeling pretty angry that Apple has forced my hand by making my 3G unusable,” said one iPhone 3G user on Apple’s support forums. An Apple spokesperson confirmed to the WSJ that it is aware of the reports and is looking into the matter, although it is unclear whether the problems can be fixed with another iOS 4.x update, or whether Apple will have to release a downgrade utility for the iPhone 3G to return the phone to iOS 3.x.

« NewsRack update adds iOS 4 support and more

SoftBank CEO: iPhone 4 sales ‘far exceeded’ expectations »

Comments

Theres also a problem with the WIFI of the 2G iTouch and 3G iTouch (i have both on OS4)

and the WIFI fails to connect. i am not alone ive read.

Posted by Jin on July 29, 2010 at 8:23 AM (PDT)

I have several issues with the 3G 4.01 update.
On one hand my device freezes up all the time, if I use the imbetted keyboard. and on the other, my email accounts inbox showes “ARCHIVE” instead of “DELETE”. the button is still red and it moves the emails to the trashcan but the button label says ARCHIVE.

Severl apps crash spontaniac, and if I open a apps folder, it freezes up if i click it to fast.

Same with the new picture location function. Many pictures are located on the map on different places, even places in the state i’ve never been too.

Posted by Dennis on July 29, 2010 at 11:32 AM (PDT)

iOS4 severely slowed down my 3G. In the time it was installed the phone crashed several times and the keyboard either froze or was so slow to respond that sending emails or texts became a real PITA.

Going back to OS3.1.3 solved the problems - for the supposed improvement of a unified mailbox and the folders, iOS4 was just not worth it…

Posted by Bob Levens in UK on July 29, 2010 at 12:02 PM (PDT)

My 3G has become a paperweight because of the constant freezes, and I’ve had to stop myself from throwing it against a wall a few times now. It takes forever to bring up SMS, apps crash all the time (the ones that are supposedly iOS4 compliant), email shuts down, websites freeze for a few minutes at a time, the phone goes blank for no reason, and the list goes on and on. I can’t believe this took a month or so for Apple to get wind of it.

I figure Apple will give the problem lip service in hopes that we’ll just get sick of it and buy the iPhone 4 and it’s crappy antenna. I will note that the latest OS upgrade has pointed out that AT&T’s signal strength in the Twin Cities is awful.

Posted by Adam in MN on July 29, 2010 at 1:39 PM (PDT)

Bob and Adam I cant agree more iOS4 slowed my 3G down to a crawl the lag on texting is beyond ridiculous what astounds me is why it wasn’t picked up in testing, or is this a ploy by Apple to get us all to upgrade to the (shattertastic) iPhone 4.

Posted by Johnathan on July 29, 2010 at 1:49 PM (PDT)

Yah, mine is slow as hell also!!! I find myself turning my 3g iPhone on and off every couple of days and that seems to help it run faster for a little bit, but then it goes back to being slow

Posted by 3g on July 29, 2010 at 4:15 PM (PDT)

I now have an iPhone 4, but if anything iOS4 fixed my 3G. The moment iOS3 was released, my iPhone was constantly sluggish, laggy and almost unuseable. iOS4 was a godsend to me, and for the 2 months I had it installed it almost made me forget the whole year of disappointment I had prior to it.

Posted by Michael W on July 30, 2010 at 12:46 AM (PDT)

Hmm… on my 3G Touch, I’ve been having real problems with wifi (not connecting, slow connection etc) and thought my router might be dying or a port issue or something (because it’s only my Touch, not my computer having a problem).

Is it iOS4 that could be causing the problem?

Posted by BeefJerky on July 30, 2010 at 5:04 AM (PDT)

Yep WIFI problems plague OS4.

Posted by Jin on July 30, 2010 at 5:27 AM (PDT)

OS4 turned my 3g into a slug.  Everything loads slowly and runs haltingly - scrolling in news apps, playing solitaire, taking a photo.  Nice going, Jobs - another of the dozen or so major goofs in the introduction of “iOS” and the iPhone 4 (which I returned because it dropped 20% of my calls).

Posted by zswman on July 30, 2010 at 8:17 AM (PDT)

Since going to the upgrade software- My phone goes black. It is slow Apps crash.

Posted by Hank on July 30, 2010 at 9:30 AM (PDT)

iOS4 has made my 3G incredibly slow and I want to downgrade back to 3.1.3 - but from what I’ve seen it’s not possible without jailbreaking which is something I absolutely do not want to do.
I’ve asked the question in “Ask iLounge” and hope to get a reply soon (please…)

Performance is way worse than it was before, but exactly how bad is variable. There are times when pressing the home button, swiping to unlock, swiping left/right on the home screen, launching Safari, Settings, iPod, Mail, Messages, Photos etc all take anywhere up to 30 seconds to do the task that they are supposed to do. These are all Apple native apps so ‘non-compatability from 3rd party developers’ cannot be blamed here.

As a test I just launched iPod while typing this. A white screen appeared and it took 17 seconds for my list of songs to show. And I don’t have a lot of songs on there. This is typical for me now - sometimes it’s faster, sometimes slower, but this seems about average. Resetting seems to make no difference.

I am not a fast typer, but I can be typing a text message or in Notes and the words stop apearing on screen as I type, only to ‘catch up’ in a huge flow of letters about 10 seconds later.

And when using Safari to type a post in a forum, the text/font size increases when you start a new line. This causes the text to ‘spill over’ outside the edit box so you cannot see what you are typing. Even the shortest of posts now have to be written in Notes and copy/pasted in. Very frustrating indeed.

Upgrading to 4.0.1 has not helped - in fact now when I launch Camera Roll the latter half of my pictures is just one huge black block while the former half of my pictures show normally. I can view them all full screen and go backwards/forwards, but if I want to view the thumbnails or attach one to an email or MMS it’s just luck which picture I choose.
Fortunately I have not had any wi-fi problems.

Upgrading to iOS4 has been a mistake for me. Clearly the 3G struggles to cope, and my phone is now frustratingly slow. I understood that the 3G wasn’t capable of multi-tasking or having background wallpaper, but this is ridiculous.

Posted by Dave, UK on July 30, 2010 at 9:31 AM (PDT)

I had the same problems with my 3G. The thing that fixed it for me was doing a ‘factory’ restore. What this means is, when you start the restore operation through iTunes and it asks if you want to restore from a previous backup, click the option to ‘set up as a new iPhone’.

The phone now works about as well as it did on 3.1.3 and much better than it initially did with 4.0. The drawback is you lose all of the data on the phone - playlists, contacts, even data saved within individual apps. If you have contacts, etc synced through MobileMe or Google, not that big of a deal. Otherwise, it may not be worth the bother.

Posted by Paul on July 30, 2010 at 1:56 PM (PDT)

My 3G is useless on 4/4.01.
I just restored my spare 3Gs with the backup, and it’s a ton better.
SO, looks like the 3Gs is the minimum for the new iOS until they fix it.

Posted by sb on July 30, 2010 at 5:20 PM (PDT)

I’ve heard people try to say that this is only a problem with older 3Gs this is not true. I recently had to exchange my older 3G for a brand new one due to hardware failure, and since I didnt want to lose everything, I bit the buller and restored it, which meant upgrading to iOS4 again. Now this straight out of the box phone is just as slow and useless as the old one. I literally had to flip a coin on whether it was better to lose everything on my phone or restore and upgrade.

Posted by KeiDub on July 30, 2010 at 6:47 PM (PDT)

My 3G won’t vibrate, I thought it was just the phone but a mate of mine has had the same problem with his 3G too.

Posted by Frankarooney on July 30, 2010 at 7:24 PM (PDT)

Same here on slow 3G phone after OS 4 downgrade.  Really like iPhone 4 but not sure Apple deserves our business after this.  I do not know any 3G owners that experienced anything but serious performance problems after going to OS 4.  Three different people I have sat next to on flights in past month.  All had the problems & all very unhappy with Apple.

I find it hard to beleive Apple did not notice this in testing.  It is either on purpose to encourage iPhone 4 purchase or poor QC.  Either seems like bad biz to me.

Posted by Kevin on July 31, 2010 at 8:50 AM (PDT)

My 3G phone has never acted so strangely! I updated to 4.0 a few days after the release and ever since my phone constantly freezes when i hit applications. Today my alarm wouldn’t stop going off, even after i hit the snooze button and turned off the alarm. I had to turn the phone off to finally get it to stop.

If this is a ploy to get us to buy the iphone4, then i’m not playing that game.

Posted by Ben on July 31, 2010 at 4:14 PM (PDT)

funny how ppl are coming up with errors

my 3rd Gen iPod Touch 32GB has gone through a lot (downgrades, jailbreaks, drops, crashes and hard restores) and after i went and upgraded to 4.0, i have never encountered ANY problems haha

Posted by drummwill on August 1, 2010 at 12:47 PM (PDT)

The real problem here is that APPLE WILL NOT LET ME DOWNGRADE MY 3G TO ITS PREVIOUS FIRMWARE. My 14-month-old piece of hardware is too frustrating to use now. I couldn’t even type this on my iPhone, I had to pull out the laptop… THAT’S HOW BAD THE TYPING PROBLEM IS (among other things) with ios4 on 3G. And the problems are getting worse by the week. And Apple is JUST NOW looking into this??? The EVO is getting better looking by the second, STEVE JOBS. Imagine that I am a cartoon and steam is coming out of my ears. It’s funny, isn’t it. I just purchased this laptop yesterday… It’s a Windows 7… I WAS JUST ON THE VERGE OF PURCHASING A 15” MACBOOK PRO, a picture of which was hanging on my wall for 3 months as a reward for reaching a goal. LAST MINUTE, I DECIDED NOT TO SPEND TWICE AS MUCH FOR YOUR HARDWARE BECAUSE OF THIS NON-RESPONSE ON YOUR PART, STEVE JOBS. My very first computer was a Mac, back in 1989, but went for a PC in 1995. With the advent of the iPhone, I was on a fast track back to Apple, but you have lost me. Steam… I feel like starting a CLASS ACTION LAW SUIT AGAINST YOU… PSSSSSSSSssssssssssss… Steam is funny, so funny that YOU’RE LOSING MY BUSINESS… Apple Schmapple

Posted by David Peely on August 1, 2010 at 7:21 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >