Apple investigating iOS 4 on iPhone 3G issues | iLounge News

Apple investigating iOS 4 on iPhone 3G issues

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Thursday, July 29, 2010
News Categories: iPhone

Apple is looking into reports that iOS 4 is causing a number of issues when installed on iPhone 3G units. The Wall Street Journal reports that a number of user reports have cropped up on Apple’s support forums, with the most common complaints being that the phone is slow after the upgrade, that it drains the battery quickly, or that it gets unreasonably hot. “This phone has gone from being a dream to constantly annoying me. Not a way to make friends. I would upgrade to an iPhone 4, but I’m feeling pretty angry that Apple has forced my hand by making my 3G unusable,” said one iPhone 3G user on Apple’s support forums. An Apple spokesperson confirmed to the WSJ that it is aware of the reports and is looking into the matter, although it is unclear whether the problems can be fixed with another iOS 4.x update, or whether Apple will have to release a downgrade utility for the iPhone 3G to return the phone to iOS 3.x.

« NewsRack update adds iOS 4 support and more

SoftBank CEO: iPhone 4 sales ‘far exceeded’ expectations »

Comments

After turning off spotlight, disabling notifications, deleting half my apps and reloading the OS two different ways - now I have something new and exciting to report!!! My phone TOTALLY locks up to the point it won’t ring if I receive a call and the only way to recover is to perform a hard reboot! FRUSTRATED and DISGUSTED are the only two words I can post about this experience!!!!!!!! I guess Apple is trying to surpass BP in the number of X customers outraged about how they handle problems!!!!!!!

Posted by Markiem on August 3, 2010 at 7:47 AM (PDT)

This is extremely frustrating and very inconsiderate of Apple.  For 3g users do one of two things, 1.  give the option to restore our 2g phones back to 3.1.3 or 2.  replace our 3g phones for free with the new iphone 4.  Its not right that when we purchased the 3g reports were this would be the only iphone upgrade for a while, only to be replaced shortly after with the 3gs and wow a few months after that launch they come out with the 4.0.  Geez give me a break, honor the idea that you say apple is the best and that apple is loyal to its customer.  I would just like to know that apple appreciates its customer.  Most people that get the iphone step out in spending so much for it with the understanding its the best, its unique and apple stands by its product.  Its not looking that way now and with the economy and “contracts” I cant afford to pay the price of a new iphone because we have 4 3g iphones!  I’m mad and disappointed in Apple!

Posted by angie hampton on August 3, 2010 at 11:22 PM (PDT)

Make sure you are sending your complaints to Apple. I have, but so far…silence.

Posted by Adam in MN on August 5, 2010 at 1:54 PM (PDT)

As I write this post, I’m trying to load up a podcast on my iPhone so I can go on my bike ride to work.  Unfortunately it took 4 times (and crashes) for the iPod app to finally load.  WTF!  I am experiencing all the sluggish/crash/unusable symptoms many have posted here.  Some podcasts now don’t display the time right and I can’t ffwd/rewind tracks.  Also my photo gallery browser has a huge black image covering about 6 photos.  Uggh!

Posted by Roger on August 12, 2010 at 7:22 AM (PDT)

Having all the same issues w/my phone .  I loved my iPhone until the upgrade. Hoping a fix happens before my phone gets thrown out a window.  The worst thing is when my alarm is set for a 1:30PM
meeting and the thing goes off at some oddball time (2:00am).

Posted by Syltho on August 12, 2010 at 7:44 PM (PDT)

Far from making me think hmmmm iPhone4 I am thinking hmmmm, time to stay away from Apple.
I sent a complaint/question on progress, silence for me too.

Posted by ARW on August 17, 2010 at 10:30 AM (PDT)

Ok ok! I got this, my iphone 3gs was glitching to where I couldnt open my ipod to download music. Heres what I did. I got a new pc and couldnt sync because i would lose all my old music. THEREFORE! I tricked my phone into thinking i was syncing by plugging it in, starting the sync and then closing itunes. Give it a shot. it worked for me and i didnt lose anything! smile

Posted by Shea benitez on August 17, 2010 at 12:34 PM (PDT)

About a week after the “as-new” restore of 4.0.1 the sluggishness seemed to have started creeping back. Used RecBoot to downgrade to 3.1.3 and man, what a difference!

Posted by Paul on August 19, 2010 at 7:13 AM (PDT)

AT THE VERY LEAST, Apple should release a utility to safely and easily go back to os 3.

WARNING to all you people who bought iPHONE 4!

YOU may just be NEXT in seeing your expensive gadget reduced to a what one person above aptly referred to as a “paperweight.”

Posted by Pablo on August 20, 2010 at 1:48 PM (PDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  <  1 2