Apple investigating iPhone 3.1 battery life issues | iLounge News

Apple investigating iPhone 3.1 battery life issues

Following a multitude of complaints from iPhone owners reporting severe battery drain after upgrading to iPhone OS 3.1, Apple has begun to contact select users asking for their help in tracking down and diagnosing the problem. These users are being contacted by AppleCare with a list of 11 questions focusing on the user’s current configuration, including push services, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi use, and installed applications. The email also contains a small attachment which installs a profile on the iPhone that enables battery life logging, enabling Apple to collect data about their devices’ battery usage the next time they sync to iTunes, in hopes of isolating, and fixing, the issue.

« App Mix: Pantone, Pioneer, Trope, BMW F1

iPhone moisture sensors overly sensitive? »

Comments

After suffering with low battery- my 3gs 32gb iphone would need to be recharged about 3 times a day.
I surfed the web and made some changes to my phone that seem to have kept my phone battery in check.
I charged it to 100% at about 9 am est, just checked now at 3:32 est and the battery is at 92%!
my changes were- of course these are short term changes-
Disabled 3g,wifi,brightness is about 35%,BT is off,location services is on,auto lock is at 2 minutes.
Mail is set to fetch new data every 30 minutes.
any changes that i need could just be made on the fly.

Posted by ex on September 21, 2009 at 12:35 PM (PDT)

I think Apple should have their eyes on the bigger picture and work to fix iTunes 9.0 and release 9.0.1 or 9.1 as soon a.s.a.p. for Windows 32-bit, 64-bit, and Mac OS X. That is more important than trying to solve a problem for the minority, when the majority of computer users are suffering from an inferior product (iTunes 9.0).

Posted by John Stockman on September 21, 2009 at 3:50 PM (PDT)

I’m glad they are addressing this. Not sure what problems the poster is referring to about iTunes 9.0. 9.0 has been by far the best iTunes for windows to date.

Posted by Michael on September 21, 2009 at 6:25 PM (PDT)

I know this is a real issue I got my iPhone 3G replaced with a new one, and once I updated to 3.1 my battery life died quickly and all i was doing was listening to music as always.. my battery never drain that fast in fact when i listen to music my battery remains the same

Posted by Hanseljr on September 21, 2009 at 7:52 PM (PDT)

Michael, I myself have not had any problems with iTunes 9.0 per se, but I have heard that it has destroyed many a users library and they were lucky they backed their stuff up. What I’m saying is that just because things are all right for me and a few others doesn’t mean that I won’t stand beside those who have problems with the program and lend my voice to their cause to get Apple to fix this problem so they can enjoy the benefits of iTunes 9 like you and I already are. That is all.

Posted by John Stockman on September 22, 2009 at 4:42 PM (PDT)

just bought the itouch 16g 2nd generation in late august. They had me immediately upgrade to 3.1.1

I listen to radio. wi-fi
screen is locked.

I get three hours battery life tops.

Posted by eli radjenovich on September 22, 2009 at 6:04 PM (PDT)

I would like to retract my previous negative comments about Apple. I was unaware that they had released a new version of iTunes (i.e., iTunes 9.0.1).

Posted by John Stockman on September 23, 2009 at 4:27 PM (PDT)

Before I upgraded my 2G iPhone from 2.2 to 3.1, I would charge it at night, use it all day and NOT CHARGE IT THE NEXT NIGHT, and then use it all day the SECOND day and Go to bed without the “20% Battery remaining” warning Most of the time.

Now I get down to 20% BY THE END OF THE FIRST DAY. Now I ABSOLUTLEY Must charge my iPhone every night.

Literally HALVED my battery life in one fell swoop. ####!

Now I have my iPhone in my dock at work al day instead of just having it sit on my desk.

Posted by Waynegrape on September 24, 2009 at 7:16 AM (PDT)

I leave my iPhone 3GS 32GB on charge overnight and when I wake up it’s at 100% (obviously).

Pre 3.1 I’d go to bed and the iPhone typically was at about 60-70% battery life.

Post 3.1 it’s like 30-40% - last night it was 11% although I had been giving GeoDefense Swarm a bit of a work out wink

However, it’s very clearly draining the battery (or reporting incorrectly) much faster than pre 3.1. I think halving battery life, as commented by others is a good estimate. Apple have really dropped the ball with this one - how did they not notice?

Typical usage is 30 minutes gaming, hourly email checks, no BT and Wi-Fi on about 6 hours during the day.

Posted by Sprogz on September 25, 2009 at 2:40 AM (PDT)

Yeah, this is a real problem. Mine went down really fast. It was 9:00pm, I checked my email, and played a bit of Space Invaders: Infinity Gene. Then comes 9:15pm, and guess what? The battery’s already down to 75%! And now, 9:21, I’m listening to music with it and it’s down to 73%.

Apple, fix this problem. Now.

Posted by Waveguider on September 25, 2009 at 4:22 AM (PDT)

I’d love to take part in the iPhone battery testing as mine is now also dreadful with 3.1.  So much so that I visited the Regent Street Apple Store in London last Thursday to complain and ask for guidance.  I was surprised to learn that a new battery would cost £60 ($100) but that I would have to exchange my 2G for a replacement 2G as the battery couldn’t be removed. I managed to speak to a ‘Genius’ and was told that even a replacement wouldn’t last longer than 24hrs between charges. I use email/internet for 45mins morning and night en-route to the office.  WiFi is on for 14hrs/day when at home, so it sounds like I’m lucky?!  I remember when my Nokia would last 8-10 DAYS without a charge, albeit with very limited functionality.

Posted by Dave on September 26, 2009 at 12:50 AM (PDT)

I’m wondering if the battery issues aren’t related to something else. I just bought a new 3G from Best Buy and it seems like the battery drains faster than the broken, one-year old 3G that it replaced. I haven’t even upgraded to 3.1 or iTunes 9 yet.

Posted by Paul on September 27, 2009 at 10:51 AM (PDT)

Prior to 3.1, my gs would show about 1/2 to 1/3 charge at the end of the day.  After 3.1 (and not other changes in settings), it’s in the red by the early evening.  Clearly worse battery life.

Posted by agdcons on September 27, 2009 at 10:27 PM (PDT)

As of recently my iphone 3G would show battery at full charge and then 20 minutes later the battery is completely drained (w/o a 20%  warning) and the phone has completely shut down until I plug it in to charge for at least 30min if not more! Serious issue! This has already happened twice and I am not looking forward to it happening again.

Posted by Hamlet on September 28, 2009 at 6:58 PM (PDT)

I’ve noticed that the fast battery drainage and random inability to dial are corelated in my case, and only happen after I use certain applications.

Posted by John on October 5, 2009 at 9:24 PM (PDT)

I experienced improved battery performance with 3.1??with my iPhone only needing to be charged every second night which was fantastic. 3.1.2 has halved that and some with my phone turning off before I even got hom from work! :-(

Posted by Amanda on October 14, 2009 at 2:35 AM (PDT)

Upgraded to 3.1.1 the day it was released and had no problems with battery life.  Only in the last couple of days, did I see strange issues.  No non-standard app would load (would get a second of splash screen before going back to home screen), and my battery was drained.  All my standard apps would load without any issues.  To check, loaded a new app from the app store, and it the problem with non-standard app disappeared.  Seems like the new app (it really doesn’t matter what new app) has stopped some loop occuring.

Thought this would stop the battery drain, but didn’t.  Noticed that my usage meter would count up with the standby meter, even if the iphone was not in active use.  Eg, if the phone is left in standby for an hour, the usage meter would indicated a further hour’s usage with the standby meter also clocking up an hour.  Noticed the phone had a slight warmth to it while it was left on a table.

It seems there is a background loop occuring to drain the battery.  A stuck process?  Wouldn’t mind getting hands on the profile Apple is handing out.

Posted by Peter on November 8, 2009 at 5:18 AM (PDT)

I have iPhone 3GS 16 GB and battery life was fine till I switched to iTunes 64 bit on Windows 7.  iPhone has 3.1.2 firmware and iTunes is 9.0.2.25.  Problem goes away when I switch from push mode for Exchange Mail to every 15 minutes.  Prior to using the new iTunes, I never had a problem for months.

Posted by Dan O'Callahan on January 21, 2010 at 7:49 PM (PDT)