Apple: iPhone 3GS on June 19, 16GB $199, 32GB $299 | iLounge News

Apple: iPhone 3GS on June 19, 16GB $199, 32GB $299

image

Apple today officially announced the iPhone 3GS, the sequel to the iPhone 3G, with a June 19 initial release date. The added “S” stands for “speed,” a reference to the device’s faster processing and potential data transfer speeds. Available in four models—16GB white or black ($199 each), and 32GB white or black ($299 each)—the iPhone 3GS preserves much of the look and feel of the iPhone 3G, adding the following new features.

* A 3.0 Megapixel still camera with VGA video recording capabilities, autofocus, 10cm macro distance mode, auto white-balance, and tap-to-focus features. This camera promises to take more detailed, sharper still pictures than before, with improved low-light performance, as well as enabling users to create and edit videos directly from their iPhones for instant sharing over email, MobileMe, YouTube, or MMS.

* HSDPA 7.2Mb/s transfer speeds. Apple notes that this feature will only be “where available from AT&T later this year,” which is to say not everywhere in the United States, and questionable elsewhere outside the United States.

* OpenGL ES 2.0 graphics acceleration.

* Voice control, allowing users to dial out by saying the person’s name or speaking the numbers. The feature also works for audio playback, letting users play music by artist, album or playlist, activate the Genius feature by saying “play more songs like this,” play, pause, activate shuffle, skip tracks, and ask “What’s playing right now?”

* Digital compass with an accompanying Compass application and Maps integration, so it automatically orients any map to the direction you are facing.

* VoiceOver voice prompting and accessibility features, including Universal Zoom, and Mono Audio so that left and right channel audio can be blended into both earphones.

* Improved battery life, with 9 hours of Wi-Fi internet browsing, 10 hours of video, 30 hours of audio playback, and 12 hours of 2G talk time, compared to 6, 7, 24, 10, and 5 hours, respectively, on the iPhone 3G. 3G talk time remains 5 hours.

* Nike+ support, following the same included app and $19 Sensor accessory model as the iPod touch 2G.

The iPhone 3GS will roll out in the US/Canada/France/Germany/Italy/Spain/Switzerland/UK on June 19, then a week later with six more countries. Rollouts will continue thereafter into a number of other countries over the Summer. Prices listed above are based upon qualified new customers and upgrades, and will be higher in the case for users who aren’t qualified—for instance, AT&T will offer users who aren’t eligible for the cheaper pricing the iPhone 3GS for $399 for 16GB models and $499 for 32GB units.

« iPhone 3G 8GB price drops to $99

iLounge’s Keynote Play-by-Play, 100 pictures posted here »

Comments

What part of “Prices listed above are based upon qualified new customers and upgrades, and will be higher in the case for users who aren’t qualified—for instance, AT&T;will offer users who aren’t eligible for the cheaper pricing the iPhone 3G S for $399 for 16GB models and $499 for 32GB units” don’t you understand!?!?!

Posted by HELLO! on June 8, 2009 at 6:45 PM (CDT)

While $200 is alot for me to fork out for a new phone with fewer features, the voice commands in combination with os 3’s bluetooth features is VERY appealing.

Posted by Neal on June 8, 2009 at 6:52 PM (CDT)

I am extremely disappointed in the price point for existing 3G customers. I have purchased everyone iPhone when they first come out, and now I am being punished for that. I know it is more an ATT thing than an Apple thing, but I I have given ATT and Apple a lot of business and I don’t think it is fair that we should have to pay more for the newer model. They should let anyone who purchased the 3G within the first few months get it for the full discounted price.

Posted by Kyle on June 8, 2009 at 6:53 PM (CDT)

No I-phone design change????? Boringggg. When you type I-Phone 4g on google, 2 different designs of a model of how cool an i-phone come up, butttt we have the same old boring black shape and design again. Great Work Apple!

Posted by tired of iphone design on June 8, 2009 at 8:18 PM (CDT)

Anyone know if youll be able to text with the phone sideways(to have a larger keyboard)? that was a big feature keeping me from buying the previous gen because the keyboard is so small with it vertical??

Posted by Marco on June 8, 2009 at 10:24 PM (CDT)

Does anyone know that if the 32gb iphone 3g s for $300 price is for everyone or only at&t;users?

Posted by Binh on June 9, 2009 at 12:11 AM (CDT)

Does anyone know for sure that cases for the 3G will fit the 3G S properly?

Posted by orgel in Falls Church, VA on June 9, 2009 at 9:00 AM (CDT)

Marco #25:

The 3.0 software will allow you to type messages in landscape mode; it says so on Apple’s Web page for the OS 3.0 Update.

Posted by orgel in Falls Church, VA on June 9, 2009 at 9:04 AM (CDT)

Binh #26:

The $299 price for the 32GB iPhone 3G S is good for “eligible users,” which includes all new purchasers. The people who can’t get that price are mostly existing AT&T;customers (including most iPhone 3G owners) who are less than 18 months into their existing contract.

Posted by orgel in Falls Church, VA on June 9, 2009 at 9:06 AM (CDT)

So once again I’m left waiting for the next gen and some decent improvements to arrive before I actually get to purchase my first iPhone!  Does the ‘S’ signify that this is not a full next generation iteration as it sure as hell doesn’t feel like it.  Lets see what happens and when the ‘proper’ 4g iPhone will arrive?

Posted by Godders on June 9, 2009 at 9:18 AM (CDT)

I went to the Apple “buy iPhone” page to see what kind of upgrade I qualify for. I bought my iPhone 3G last July on the first day it was released (although the ATT store was out of stock so I had to come back in four days to actually receive the phone).

Here’s the message I got:

“As a valued AT&T;customer, AT&T;can offer you an early iPhone upgrade with a new 2-yr commitment and an $18 upgrade fee. You may qualify for a standard iPhone upgrade on 12/16/2009.”

This APPEARS to mean I can buy an iPhone 3G S at the subsidized price with only an $18.00 upgrade fee. Not a bad deal, if my interpretation of this is correct. Why all the whining here? If I want to avoid the $18.00 fee, I can just wait until December; again, no big deal.

As it happens, I have not plans to upgrade to the new iPhone. It looks very nice, but the new features that are hardware only—better camera, video, voice control, compass, better battery life—are not compelling enough for me to upgrade at this time. My two year contract will be up NEXT July. I can wait until then and upgrade to next year’s iPhone upgrade.

C’mon people…the 3G is a fine device. If you can’t wait a little while (or spend a little bit) to upgrade, you’re just, um…spoiled.

Posted by Robert1014 on June 9, 2009 at 10:16 AM (CDT)

It is just a better version of iPhone 3G. It’s really cool and convenient for those that don’t already own one of Apple’s previous versions of iPhone. I need a phone for college, and I need it now. That’s the only reason I’m getting 3G S.

Posted by iLly on June 9, 2009 at 6:33 PM (CDT)

Wail on about “I deserve this” and “they should give us that” all you want; you still agreed to a deal, a contract.

The iPhone 3G was the typical subsidized deal. You sign a 2 year contract to get the discounted price, and you are not eligible to get another hardware deal for at least 18 months. There are no iPhone 3G owners who are even 1 year into their contract, therefore, none of then get a deal until starting about January. This is not hard to understand

Those who bought the original iPhone bought an unsubsidized phone. Because of that, they were all eligible for a discount on the 3G phone when it came out - even if you’d bought a 1st gen iPhone right before. So, people who by the 3GS will be in the same boat in one year: salivating over the iPhone 4G and unable to upgrade for 6 months.

If you buy now, you will pay more, and when you are eligible again in January 2011, you’ll be in between phone releases. If you wait until you are eligible in January 2010 to buy a 3GS, then you will be eligible again in July 2011 when another new phone will be out. You will miss the 2010 iPhone anyway unless you simply wait with what you have. In other words: given that the iPhone releases are yearly, you’re probably better off staying in sync by keeping your phone for the two years so that when you are eligible, a new phone will be out.

The saddest is friends and family who just recently renewed with Sprint and Verizon that I couldn’t convince to wait just a month or two for the iPhone announcement. So, they have their $99, “cheaper than the iPhone”, “look, it’s got a touch screen too”, “why doesn’t this work” phone to endure for a long while.

Posted by Ryan Gray on June 9, 2009 at 11:53 PM (CDT)

DEAR APPLE,

I am very disappointed to have waited on hold at 800-My-APPLE for about 40 minutes to learn that once again I will not be buying an iPhone.

Until I can use a full-sized keyboard with the iPhone, the iPhone and the iPod Touch are just toys, to me.

As someone who has been a consultant for purchasing and trouble-shooting Macs for 25 years, now, it is really embarrassing that I have not been able to recommend the iPhones: as phones, they are mediocre, as PDAs their utility is crippled by inability to use an external keyboard—they are 98% toy. At present, I am still recommending that serious-minded people get a good cellular phone and a good PDA (like the Palm Pre and a micro-keyboard), rather than an iPhone. Until iPhone can be used with an external keyboard, that will remain my recommendation.

I honestly do not understand the hang-up. How many more iPhones would you sell if an external keyboard could be used with an iPhone/iPod to take meeting notes, to get work done during commutes without lugging a laptop, to chat, etc.

It is a different world today than when people *weren’t* buying portable keyboards in great numbers for their PDAs. If there was BlueTooth keyboard access, or a keyboard-dock built specifically for iPhones/iPods, Apple would sell a great many more iPhones/iPods, and whoever was making the keyboards would do well, too.

Think about all the folks who keep knocking Apple for failing to make a sub-notebook… with all the other features in the iPhone/iPod, allowing data entry and interactivity with external keyboards would go a LONG way toward filling that gap.

So, once again, even with the price breaks on the new iPhones, I am not going to buy one, and I am not going to be recommending them to business clients.

Call me when I can use external keyboards.

Thanks.

Posted by Persephone on June 15, 2009 at 6:45 PM (CDT)

Is that all? I’ll wait for the next version, the silliniess over speculating a 3GS in hopes for TomTom is waisting money. I’ll buy one when TomTom is released.

Posted by That Is All on June 17, 2009 at 2:40 PM (CDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2