Apple: iPhone’s iPod features only active with new 2-year plan | iLounge News

Apple: iPhone’s iPod features only active with new 2-year plan

In a small footnote to its announcement of rate plans on the Apple.com web site, Apple today disclosed that a “Minimum new 2-year wireless service plan and activation fee” are “required to activate iPhone features, including iPod;” the first time that the company has suggested that iPhone’s iPod functionality may be limited for those who are not subscribers to AT&T’s services. It is unclear whether iPhone will continue to work as an iPod, or as an Internet data device, once someone ceases to be an AT&T customer.

« Details on iPhone Activation & Sync in iTunes

AT&T, Apple reveal 6 iPhone service plans (updated) »

Comments

Also a side note they are not allowing people that have corporate discounts on there plans to use them.  So I will be losing my 19 percent off a month :(

Posted by Travis on June 26, 2007 at 11:07 AM (CDT)

I can think of nothing dumber than disabling iPhone features once your 2 yr contract is over, and say, you decide to just keep going month-to-month. I will personally mail my iBrick back to Steve Jobs if they pull some stunt like that - it will be the first and last iPhone I ever buy.

Oh, wait - I forget - this is a cellular provider we’re talking about - now all this customer-hateful behavior makes total sense :-)

Posted by Gerald on June 26, 2007 at 11:57 AM (CDT)

It better keep on working. Man, I can hardly wait to see what kind of nonsense they will try to pull here in Europe.

Posted by Bad Beaver on June 26, 2007 at 12:01 PM (CDT)

Minimum new 2-year wireless service plan and activation fee required to activate iPhone features, including iPod; plans are subject to AT&T credit approval.

activation fee?  how much is that…

Posted by jt on June 26, 2007 at 12:14 PM (CDT)

A one-time fee of $36.

See our article AT&T, Apple reveal six iPhone service plans.

Posted by Jesse Hollington in Toronto on June 26, 2007 at 1:09 PM (CDT)

I guess that this just increases the odds of a new REAL iPod coming soon..

Posted by Crazydog on June 26, 2007 at 3:06 PM (CDT)

Look, I wish Apple success with this- really, I do. But enough about the iPhone already. I want the 6th Gen iPod and I want it NOW… (I can hear Apple ignoring me :) )

Posted by Hatman on June 26, 2007 at 3:44 PM (CDT)

Agreed, Hatman. As much as I love Apple, I hate how the iPhone has delayed the release of Mac OS 10.5 “Leopard.” And where’s that 32GB video iPod that only uses NAND memory?

Posted by Doctor Mantis on June 27, 2007 at 3:44 PM (CDT)