Apple: iPod game buyers, re-purchase for classic, 3G nano [updated] | iLounge News

Apple: iPod game buyers, re-purchase for classic, 3G nano [updated]

image

iLounge has confirmed with Apple that past purchasers of iPod games will have to re-purchase the titles to play them on the recently-released iPod classic and iPod nano (with video). According to an Apple representative, the games will need to be repurchased because they were “reformatted” for the new iPods.

Reformatted iPod games currently include EA’s Tetris and Sudoku, as well as Namco Networks’ Ms. Pac-Man. An additional 15 titles are yet to be converted for play on the iPod classic and new nano. Each game sells for $4.99, and no further guarantees of compatibility with other devices, such as a computer, iPhone, or iPod touch, are made by Apple.

Updated: Each of these games has been updated to version 1.1.0, adding new user management features and in the case of Tetris, new control schemes. However, downloading the iPod nano- and iPod classic-compatible version 1.1.0 games will still result in the installation of version 1.0.0 on fifth-generation iPods. Additional screenshots and details are available in this article.

image

« iPhone to launch Nov. 9 on T-Mobile in Germany

Plantronics Voyager 855, 815 Bluetooth headsets coming in October »

Comments

Ridiculous. They’ll start making a $0.99 upgrade soon and refund everyone who repurchased the games.

Posted by anti-luddite on September 18, 2007 at 2:52 PM (PDT)

well i am pissed off. This pathetic. I vote all who bought games email apple and tell them how we feel.

If it worked for iPhone users, then it should work for us.

Posted by dave on September 18, 2007 at 3:07 PM (PDT)

Why don’t they come out with a new iPod that can’t play any music or video previously purchased from the iTunes store and require suckers, er, owners to repurchase everything they’ve previously purchased?

Think about it. It’s exactly the same principle.

Posted by Sancroff on September 18, 2007 at 3:08 PM (PDT)

I’m sorry, but that is truly pathetic.  If it’s the exact same game, only “reformatted” for the new iPod models, then it should be given as a free update to those that have already made the game purchases previously.

Posted by SJR on September 18, 2007 at 3:27 PM (PDT)

Repurchase the games with absolutely NO guarantees that they will function on the next generation of iPods? How stupid does Apple think we are?

I guess plenty, cause we were dumb enough to buy iPods and iPod games to start with.

Great way to destroy a market in it’s infancy, Apple!

Posted by ahMEmon on September 18, 2007 at 3:33 PM (PDT)

Wow.  Just…wow.  That sounds like a big evil corporation to me.  Let;s hear from the Apple defenders on this one: How is this not a blatant money grab from the faithful?

Posted by malren on September 18, 2007 at 3:34 PM (PDT)

Agreed. They should have offered at least a $0.99-$1.99 upgrade per game. I’ve personally spent $61 on iPod games and I don’t want to spend ALL of that again.

Well, this just means my 5.5G will have to survive an additional year in my hands. I may be a fanboy, but I’m not stupid, and Apple does NOT get my business for a move like this.

Posted by Jeremy Avalon on September 18, 2007 at 3:35 PM (PDT)

Although games obviously aren’t the most central function of an iPod, this is enough to make me want to return my new iPod classic and stick with my 5.5G simply as a matter of principle.

It’s almost as if Apple has taken *away* functionality on the new models.

Posted by Cyphernomad on September 18, 2007 at 3:38 PM (PDT)

Oh, Apple….  will you never learn?  (sigh)

Posted by lookmark on September 18, 2007 at 3:40 PM (PDT)

Sancroff: They did. It’s called a Zune. =P

malren: Oh please. See my note to Sancroff.

Figures that they’d offer iQuiz as coming with the new Nanos. That way no one re-buys just the cheap game.

Anyway, I’m off to write some mail to the iTunes department. Anyone else want to come?

Posted by Jeremy Avalon on September 18, 2007 at 3:47 PM (PDT)

To “Steve”: Who are you and what have you done with the real Steve Jobs?

Posted by Bonk M. on September 18, 2007 at 3:50 PM (PDT)

What if Adobe products stopped working and required you to repurchase the suite for full price every time Apple upgraded it’s OS? What if M$‘s Office forced you to repurchase the entire suite every time you applied a service patch?

What makes it fair for Apple to get away with this?

Posted by ahMEmon on September 18, 2007 at 3:55 PM (PDT)

This is ridiculous!  They should give us free upgrades.

Posted by iObsessed on September 18, 2007 at 4:08 PM (PDT)

Next, every 10.5.x update to Leopard will be another $129! I’m building my time machine to go back when Apple stopped screwing us. At this rate, they’ll be merging with M$ by next year…

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice…

Posted by pakkman781 on September 18, 2007 at 4:41 PM (PDT)

I’m already pissed about them taking the notes off the iPod touch… I use the notes app on my iPod, and they couldn’t even leave in a “read only” notes app. The iCal thing hurts too, but now they’re making me buy my $20 worth of iPod games again? I could buy season 3 of Robot Chicken for that much!

Posted by Toleran on September 18, 2007 at 4:54 PM (PDT)

To Bonk M. (#11): That is the real Steve Jobs.

Posted by jeremyjk1221 on September 18, 2007 at 5:11 PM (PDT)

for all the talk you hear about apple being the luke skywalker to microsoft’s big bad vader, its overlooked that apple is just as heartless and uncaring as any large corporation. one can only imagine how vicious they would be if they were ever to gain the market share that microsoft enjoys.

Posted by calvin42384 on September 18, 2007 at 5:24 PM (PDT)

Ok everyone stop whining.  I am not guaranteed a new copy of Super Mario every time Nintendo puts out a new system.

Posted by Ben Zell on September 18, 2007 at 5:24 PM (PDT)

I don’t know about Nintendo, but I do know that Sony PSOne games from 10+ years ago still work on my Sony PS3 and I didn’t have to repurchase them…

Posted by Whatever on September 18, 2007 at 5:31 PM (PDT)

Ben Zell: Backwards compatibility was one of the earlier strong points that led to the worldwide success of the PS2 and the near failure of the N64 and Gamecube.

Did you even notice how the current generations of game consoles have gone the extra mile to ensure backwards compatibility with older games? Didn’t think so.

Posted by ahMEmon on September 18, 2007 at 5:37 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 3 pages  1 2 3 >