Apple: iPod game buyers, re-purchase for classic, 3G nano [updated] | iLounge News

Apple: iPod game buyers, re-purchase for classic, 3G nano [updated]

image

iLounge has confirmed with Apple that past purchasers of iPod games will have to re-purchase the titles to play them on the recently-released iPod classic and iPod nano (with video). According to an Apple representative, the games will need to be repurchased because they were “reformatted” for the new iPods.

Reformatted iPod games currently include EA’s Tetris and Sudoku, as well as Namco Networks’ Ms. Pac-Man. An additional 15 titles are yet to be converted for play on the iPod classic and new nano. Each game sells for $4.99, and no further guarantees of compatibility with other devices, such as a computer, iPhone, or iPod touch, are made by Apple.

Updated: Each of these games has been updated to version 1.1.0, adding new user management features and in the case of Tetris, new control schemes. However, downloading the iPod nano- and iPod classic-compatible version 1.1.0 games will still result in the installation of version 1.0.0 on fifth-generation iPods. Additional screenshots and details are available in this article.

image

« iPhone to launch Nov. 9 on T-Mobile in Germany

Plantronics Voyager 855, 815 Bluetooth headsets coming in October »

Comments

Yeah, way to go Apple. Just when I has going to upgrade my Nano, 5.5. and switch to a MacBook Pro. I guess success has now ruined Apple. No longer “hip”. Just another generic faceless corporation. Trade the jeans and t neck for the PC suit Steve, your transformation to the dark side is now complete.

Posted by ScreamingBlueMessiah on September 18, 2007 at 9:16 PM (CDT)

So let me get this straight.  I have a 5.5G.  If I waited on buying games until now and decided to buy one of the new ones, it would work for my 5.5G AND the 6G iPod. But if I bought all the games when they first came out, I’d be SOL?  Yeah, that’s fair.  Way to reward all your loyal customers, Apple!

I will be holding off on my 6G purchase (if I decide to get one) until ALL my old games work, or I get a free upgrade!  It’s just the right thing for Apple to do.

Wow, when did they become so greedy?

Posted by MrMEC on September 18, 2007 at 9:27 PM (CDT)

This is why Apple will never be number 1 at anything. (Except repackaging already available tech and somehow fooling us it is new and exciting.)

No real forward thinking.  Just mistakes and rehashes of already proven technology.

Posted by DRG1138 on September 18, 2007 at 9:28 PM (CDT)

Wow..so much removed from moving forward.
Doesn’t have the speakers menu for the H-Fi.
No notes app
no more video out selectable
have to repurchase games.

Guess I’m now in the market for a nice cheap 5.5G 80GB!

Posted by Peterphan on September 18, 2007 at 9:30 PM (CDT)

LOL, they really got us… The games are only $5 per year, thats all.

People who don’t buy the latest, don’t have to pay $5 per year per game.

Posted by John on September 18, 2007 at 9:34 PM (CDT)

GO TO HELL APPLE! STOP SCREWING THE CONSUMERS!!!!!!!!

Posted by doompod on September 18, 2007 at 10:04 PM (CDT)

Just one more reason I won’t be upgrading from my 60 GB 5th-gen. to the 160 GB Classic. I originally planned to get the 160 GB classic, but if my official Apple-branded video cable won’t work, and my iPod games I spent good money on won’t work, I’ll wait to use my $100 iPhone credit until they release something good.

Posted by Muero on September 18, 2007 at 10:10 PM (CDT)

Here’s something for you to do Steve Jobs, go ask your Blu-ray partner SONY about games and backwards compatibility and see what they have to say about your dumb decision to not ensure backwards compatibility for the iPods. And also, I have compared a few of the games, such as vortex, on both the iPod classic and the 5G iPod and have to say, the 5G version looks much better.
WTF APPLE?!!!! If you can’t get games right, just get out o the gaming market all together and allow these other companies to do the right thing, something you wouldn’t have a clue about.

Posted by doompod on September 18, 2007 at 10:12 PM (CDT)

Don’t worry 2 months after you purchase all the games again the price will drop 33% on each.

The iPhone was my first Apple purchase and my last.  A 600.00 lesson learned.  I was getting ready to purchase an iMac but will be passing.  I trust Microsft more than i trust Apple.

Posted by Marc Fogel on September 18, 2007 at 10:16 PM (CDT)

Wow.  Just wow.

Posted by dodo on September 18, 2007 at 10:40 PM (CDT)

“Wow.  Just wow.
Stop whining folks- it’s just $5 per game and no one forced you to buy them and no one’s forcing you to buy them again, or to buy new iPods for that matter.”

Wow, that’s a great argument….how reassuring for customers and potential customers.

Yes, people can expect no support for outgoing models, no backwards or forwards compatability, that seems to be a message that Apple is sending loud and clear.

Posted by dodobird? on September 18, 2007 at 11:11 PM (CDT)

Well, I just wrote a lengthy email to .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

It got me results when Flextronics (company hired by Apple to do repairs) scratched up my MacBook.

Hopefully it will get results now.

I encourage everyone, not just those who bought iPod games, to write and voice their displeasure and how this will definitely keep people from buying games in general.

Why buy games for a 5th generation iPod now when you will be forced to repurchase it again for a new iPod?

Why buy one of the new games when you have no guarantee it will continue to work on new iPods?

Posted by mosxs on September 18, 2007 at 11:30 PM (CDT)

I am sick of this. The Big Bad Companies are always screwing me. First my 8-tracks don’t work in my cd player, and now this?!!!111oneone

Posted by consumer_q on September 18, 2007 at 11:43 PM (CDT)

@consumer_q: exactly!

Did Apple somehow trick you into thinking that your games would automatically work with all future iPod versions?  And don’t go trying to draw analogies to iTunes music purchases as they’re apples and oranges.  If you bought a game for your 5 or 5.5G iPod, guess what?  It still works with that iPod.  Whoever promised it would work with some future product?  Are you going to complain because your iPod case doesn’t fit your new iPod?  No, you’ll buy a new one and it will cost a heck of a lot more than $5 but you won’t complain about it because you never expected your old case to work on a new iPod and you’ll keep using it on your old iPod anyway.

Posted by dodo on September 19, 2007 at 1:21 AM (CDT)

While yes logically it is understandable that with a new model of any product some things may no longer be compatible but there is some expectation and precedence for ongoing compatability within the software-hardware market.  Compatibility is a key driver in this industry.  While people can accept and even expect obselence in their hardware it is more difficult to accept with software.

An example that several people have provided is the Sony PlayStation model where they have made an effort to have older games compatible with the new systems.  I’m sure that this was done at some expense and difficulty to Sony but they saw it as a benefit that customers appreciate.  I would think that this is an apples to apples comparison for the situation we are talking about here.

In this case what has been upgraded?  The iPod not the games…we aren’t talking about Madden 08 vs 07 here.

One would think that Apple would be inclined to throw existing customers a bone and offer them at least a discount on an upgrade if not a free upgrade altogether.  It may be that Apple does not have a good way to offer the upgrade but they should find a way.  I think what people find distasteful here is Apple’s general lack of regard towards existing customers.  And this is an ongoing trend not an isolated incident.

Posted by hooray on September 19, 2007 at 1:55 AM (CDT)

Well, good news everyone. My sources inside Apple tell me that they are going to be offering everyone who bought one of the old games a $2 gift card good at any Apple Store.*

*iTunes purchases excluded.

Posted by ort on September 19, 2007 at 2:45 AM (CDT)

Um, I wonder if the songs that were purchased on iTunes for the 5/5.5G will be able to be played on the 6G.  Can anyone confirm?

:D

This is a very weird move on Apple’s part.  I never bought their games…procrastination.  Glad I didn’t, and now I won’t.

Posted by JazzyMac on September 19, 2007 at 7:05 AM (CDT)

What is this?  Are people complaining about Apple.  C’mon - you guys can’t be real fanboys!

Apple is becoming more arrogant by the day, and the sad thing is, there are still droves of “fans” who fall for everything.  Oh well, history always repeats itself.  Way to go with screwing the customer, closed platforms, controlling every user action…

Posted by kokketiel on September 19, 2007 at 7:29 AM (CDT)

I suggested that people should email Apple to complain about this on the Apple Forum iPod games section, and the posted was promptly taken down!

The spririt of fairness has been steppen on. Two of the SIMS games were only avavilable for a few weeks before going obsolete!

What next, Apple may decide that all the videos we bought are now useless one day?

This is ridiculous, as there was never any CLEAR indictaion that the iPod games would NEVER work on future iPods. They even call the new one a “classic.”

At this point Apple no longer sells an iPod that can play these games. In my case my iPod video was recently stolen, I bought a new iPod classic and nano. I have SEVEN games I can do NOTHING with! Stinks!

Posted by Stephen on September 19, 2007 at 7:31 AM (CDT)

bad very bad

Posted by gonzalo on September 19, 2007 at 8:07 AM (CDT)

Page 2 of 3 pages  < 1 2 3 >