Apple iPod Photo now available at Apple Stores | iLounge News

Apple iPod Photo now available at Apple Stores

Certain retail Apple Stores in the United States have received and started to sell through their first shipments of the company’s new 60-Gigabyte iPod Photo ($599), which though announced only yesterday is already attracting significant attention. Forty-Gigabyte units ($499) have not arrived yet at these stores, but Apple Store employees confirmed that the 60GB model is selling surprisingly well despite its high price tag and lack of any known advertising to support the launch.

« Marware releases TrailVue case for iPod mini

Exclusive Pictures: Apple’s iPod Photo »

Comments

jeez… this sounds so stupid… anybody with any brains would just buy a 4g ipd and then use the extra money to buy a quality pda… then u have ur music AND the pictures, except it wouldnt b jammed in as a side feature, and you’d have a lot more options…

$500????!!! jeez…

Posted by jeez.... on October 27, 2004 at 1:02 PM (PDT)

Yeah seriously. I would not mind having the color screen though. smile

Posted by Mani on October 27, 2004 at 1:35 PM (PDT)

This is getting to be like software. Keep adding features until it’s bloated and buggy. I like the color screen idea, but keep the iPod as a music player and don’t turn it into a PDA.

Posted by Johnny69Mac on October 27, 2004 at 1:41 PM (PDT)

I like the color screen, but the pictures are stupid. Why would I want to look at pictures on a 2 inch screen? If it had an SD card slot, that would be helpful, but the only way to get the pictures on the iPod in the first place is to use your computer, or pay 100 bucks for that media transfer thingie.

The color screen is cool though… 600 bucks though… I’d much rather have a PDA that can actually do something…

Posted by Awesome-O on October 27, 2004 at 2:31 PM (PDT)

I just read that the Belkin photo transfer thing won’t even work with this. They have to be specially compressed thru iTunes.

What a crock of sh*t. These things are over priced and useless.

The color screen is cool though still…

Posted by Awesome-O on October 27, 2004 at 2:36 PM (PDT)

I’m not crazy about the color screen, but it’s the 60gb hd that i like

Posted by jon on October 27, 2004 at 2:39 PM (PDT)

Hmmm…40GBs have not reached stores yet. Anyone else wonder if this “delay” has something to do with the 60GBs costing $100 more and therefore a fatter profit?

Posted by Matt on October 27, 2004 at 3:10 PM (PDT)

The nice thing about the ipod photo is I think it has a video out jack so you can view the pictures on TV!  Now I don’t know of a PDA that does that!

Posted by Brandan on October 27, 2004 at 4:52 PM (PDT)

belkin will probably come out w/ something so u can view photos from a memory card.

Posted by btabz on October 27, 2004 at 4:58 PM (PDT)

i could care less about photos in my ipod…i want a sirius satellite receiver built into my ipod…howard stern and ipod…the wave of the future!!!!!

Posted by brian guettler on October 27, 2004 at 5:04 PM (PDT)

I would like to see a regular non-photo ipod with a 60 gb Hd.

Posted by mike on October 27, 2004 at 5:14 PM (PDT)

^^^^^^ Ditto!!!

Posted by Lex Luthor on October 27, 2004 at 5:23 PM (PDT)

“i want a sirius satellite receiver built into my ipod”

It’s only a matter of time. XM has released a “Tivo” handheld for their service. Lets you store up to 5 hours of downloaded content.

Posted by satellite of love on October 27, 2004 at 5:27 PM (PDT)

It’s always painful when the exact product you want doesn’t exist. I’ve been there! But the fact is it would make no sense to sell a non-Photo 60 GB iPod.

The 60 GB iPod is the top-end, most specialized, probably lowest-volume model. The number of people who demand 60 GB of music at once is not huge. The number of them who ALSO don’t like the new color screen/photo stuff, or who can’t pay the extra $100, is an even smaller number. IF someone demands 60 GB and doesn’t WANT to pay for a color screen… they still may do so because there’s no choice. That means Apple loses few sales.

So offering multiple different 60 GB iPods would not be worth the cost of manufacturing, distribution, packaging, etc.

Luckily, I do want the photo features myself smile

Posted by Nagromme on October 27, 2004 at 6:41 PM (PDT)

I think the photos are a great idea. Have the 40 GB iPod right now and would not know how to fill all GB with music. With photos, though….

Too bad that it won’t work with transfered photos from the Belkin. That the photos needs to be transfered through iTunes is really a pain…

Too bad also that I just can’t install the Photo software on my iPod.

Posted by sk on October 27, 2004 at 10:09 PM (PDT)

The best thing, I think, is the ability to see the artwork on the ‘now playing’ screen. I’ve been after this feature for ages. Can you also browse your collection using artwork, like in Musucmatch?
Plus, the 60GB storage is needed. My 40GB 3G is about full.

What will the next iPod have?

Posted by mattellis4 on October 27, 2004 at 10:20 PM (PDT)

It seems they forgot to include the camera on this generation, I have a digital camera, i have a Mac with 160gb HD, i have iPhoto, why would i want to transer all my photos to an ipod? at a cost of £60. would not it have been better to incorprate Mplayer or quicktime, and allow divX or mpg files to be played through the video out? now that would be worth the money.

Posted by scampi on October 27, 2004 at 11:09 PM (PDT)

I have a Sony NZ-90 PDA it can display photos using video output. I have a 1G memory stick in i tso I can transfer my photos on it and then I have a 40gb 3g ipod that is just about full for my music. I think the photo thing is a gimick although if you could print them to a wireless printer via bluetooth that would be really cool, or display them on TV via bluetooth.

Posted by Brandon Gantt on October 27, 2004 at 11:25 PM (PDT)

like seriously, Jobs thinks he can milk us for everything.  You can’t tell me that his lead engineer did not at least think of putting an SD slot into the ipod photo?  Who shot that down?  Apple cripples their devices so that they can “add” it as a new firmware upgrade later—and usually to only the latest generation of users. It’s bad karma.  For instance, adding on the go playlist ability—something that every single player on the market has—was denied early ipod users—something that should have been on the ipod in the first place.  And the list goes on with the photo ipod.  They’ll probably end up endorsing some type of device that’ll let you import pics onto the hard drive.  This thing would have gotten way better marks if it had an SD slot of some kind.  Apple will also find a way to charge more for a 30 gb hard drive with the new hard disks that are out now, and give it a firmware upgrade, and deny it to people who bought a 4G only 4 months ago.  No other company does this.  Yeah, we shouldn’t expect free upgrades for life, but the upgrades they provide that they deem as worthy of buying a new ipod altogether, their competitors don’t.  Competitors just feel kinda slimy giving on the go playlists or something like that and expecting their users to buy an entire new product. Just poor faith on apple’s part.  Plus, apple can’t really innovate on the ipod anymore. Adding color screen. Big deal. What about an FM tuner? So at the gym you can hear the tv?  That is way more needed than carrying around photos.  the ipod photo will likely continue to be charged at a premium b/c apple won’t allow us to buy a 60gb ipod.  You can bet on it.  The ipod ain’t going to be anything in 3 years. Trust me on this one. You heard it here first.  It’ll be a major player in the hard drive market, but you think a company like Sony isn’t going to get it right?  They conquered palm market in 5 years, beating palm one.  Their vaio’s are now considered a great notebook computer.  So once they hightail it on the mp3 front, watch out.  Their first effort TECHNICALLY was excellent. I’ve seen it. It’s teeny tiny and doubles the ipod’s battery life. It is also 1/3 smaller than the ipod.  The user interface will undoubtedly improve, b/c they innovate quick.  Apple’s lead is going to shrink.  iTunes just ain’t where it’s at.

Posted by buy the ipod photo, and you're not thinking right on October 28, 2004 at 12:00 AM (PDT)

Most of the criticism here misses the selling points of the iPod Photo, multiple uses:

~  MP3 player,

~  Backup hard drive,

~  Photo storage, viewing and transferal to television.

It allows people to buy one device instead of three.  That, along with its elegant design is what will sell it.

I also get the feeling youths who can’t afford higher end iPods are overly represented on this thread.

As for this market, Apple owns it and will for the foreseeable future.  Merrill-Lynch raised its estimates on Apple stock based on the release of the two new iPods yesterday.  Childish patter aside, the iPod is doing very well.

Posted by Podesta in Portland, OR on October 28, 2004 at 1:04 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 3 pages  1 2 3 >