Apple iPod Photo now available at Apple Stores | iLounge News

Apple iPod Photo now available at Apple Stores

By Jeremy Horwitz

Editor-in-Chief, iLounge
Published: Wednesday, October 27, 2004
News Categories: iPod

Certain retail Apple Stores in the United States have received and started to sell through their first shipments of the company’s new 60-Gigabyte iPod Photo ($599), which though announced only yesterday is already attracting significant attention. Forty-Gigabyte units ($499) have not arrived yet at these stores, but Apple Store employees confirmed that the 60GB model is selling surprisingly well despite its high price tag and lack of any known advertising to support the launch.

« Marware releases TrailVue case for iPod mini

Exclusive Pictures: Apple’s iPod Photo »

Comments

“belkin will probably come out w/ something so u can view photos from a memory card.”

Personally I am amazed that on a $500 device Apple didn’t spend the $10 to add a multi-forkmat media reader.

I’ve seen cheaper players in Best Buy that do that. The Gmini comes to mind, and that’s a pretty small device.

I think the competition is heating up. I noticed Samsung now have a combined phone/camera/mp3 player/media card reader that even comes with a 1.5GB disk and a 2.2” color screen.

Imagine when you can get these devices for free-after-rebate with a telephone plan. I give it around 2 years. Apple will have to up the ante significantly with the iPod line.

It’s hard to compete with “free”.

Posted by media reader on October 28, 2004 at 2:09 AM (PDT)

I think most of you are missing the point: The iPod is sustainably leading the way with an inevitable shift toward digital convergence in handheld devices. In ten years, none of us will be carrying multiple gadgets in our pockets because having a single gadget will be all that is necessary. Apple is just making the shift at a slow enough pace as to not be too far ahead of its time, which is a problem Apple has been known to have in the past (Newton? Cube? Remember, Apple also had the first digital camera many years ago).

If you think the iPod Photo is only for listening to music and viewing pictures on a tiny screen, you’re mistaken. There are so many potential uses for this thing that I couldn’t name them all to you here.

For photographers, designers, and other creative professionals who have multiple portfolios of their best work, the iPod Photo alleviates the need to carry cumbersome portfolio briefcases and/or multiple CD/DVD portfolios to show potential clients, publishers, and others. Photographers can have organized slideshows of all, not just some, of their photographs with them everywhere they go so they always have a quick and easy way to show their work.  Designers can sync screenshots of their previous projects so they always have a way to demonstrate their skills and accomplishments live to any client they approach.

Powerpoint/Keynote presentations can also be used for other, much less conventional, purposes as well. Regular people who prefer not to use the text-only notes feature could export any information they desire to the iPod and view as a slideshow later from anywhere. Think maps, directions, recipes, lists, articles, etc.

Posted by Crystal on October 28, 2004 at 4:53 AM (PDT)

Sure, not everyone would want to actually view any of this on the small screen, but having the line out to external viewing devices makes it all worth while, plus it makes it easy to have a backup of everything on your regular hard drive even if you never actually take advantage of the viewing capabilities. The point is that it’s there should you ever have a reason to look something up on the fly. Anyhow, the screen is much bigger than most camera screens and any feasible cell phone I’ve seen.

The possibilities are endless. And even though my Belkin device can only transfer the photo files to the iPod for later viewing on my laptop before transferring back to iPod, a simple firmware tweak could fix that, and I expect Apple will offer such an upgrade in the future. For now, I’m content with the fact that I can do so much more than I could a few days ago and for only $100 more than the 40GB iPod cost before the price drop a few months ago. I think the pricing might be more of an issue for the younger crowd. I know when I was a teenager, $599 might as well have been a million bucks. But now, I realize that time is money, and if a tool helps me save time, it will pay for itself many times over.

My 60GB iPod Photo was shipped out of Shanghai early Wednesday morning and I’m eagerly awaiting the Fed Ex guy because I’ve been waiting for these features for over a year now. Sure, some things I would like are still missing, but up until now, nobody’s included this much functionality in such an elegant and usable manner. In fact, I’ve already listed my 40GB iPod on eBay.

Posted by Crystal on October 28, 2004 at 4:54 AM (PDT)

How long before a camera add on device on the top like the microphones that came out got the 3g and 4g?

Posted by mc on October 28, 2004 at 5:08 AM (PDT)

I love the idea of storing photos on my iPod. But going the detour via iTunes is too painful.  Hi Apply, please allow me to upload pictures from my camera directly to iPod Photo via USB and would buy a couple of them. It would be great for travel, without bringing a computer along to transfer pictures.

Posted by Sven on October 28, 2004 at 8:09 AM (PDT)

“... It would be great for travel, without bringing a computer along to transfer pictures. “

That’s exactly what I wanted it for.  Actually had my Photo iPod order placed until I found out it wouldn’t do that. So I cancelled the order immediately.  It’s probably for the better anyway.  I currently use the Belkin reader with my 3G, and the card transfer fails sometimes.  I can’t afford to loose precious vacation pictures.

So I’m getting my Fiance a regular 4G iPod instead, and will use the money I saved to by a bunch of CF cards for my digital cameras so I don’t have to transfer pics to the iPod anymore.  My cameras already have an LCD for viewing and a TV-out.

Apple missed the boat on the Photo iPod.  At least for me.

Posted by Bill on October 28, 2004 at 9:17 AM (PDT)

“Most of the criticism here misses the selling points of the iPod Photo, multiple uses.”

Most people who post here miss pretty much everything.

Posted by The Raven on October 29, 2004 at 9:57 AM (PDT)

I’m suprised people are saying how great it is that you can connect your Photo iPod to the TV to view pictures - most digital cameras allow this anyway so why bother to transfer it to the iPod?

Posted by Rob on October 29, 2004 at 10:00 AM (PDT)

“Most people who post here miss pretty much everything.”

You are counting yourself among this august krewe?

Posted by omniscient on October 29, 2004 at 12:22 PM (PDT)

“For instance, this is an ingenious device for anyone who gives lectures: professors, teachers, students, salesmen, designers, etc. They can just export their Powerpoint/Keynote slideshows to virtually any popular image format, sync them to the iPod Photo, leave their laptops at home/office, then simply plug the iPod Photo into any television or projector to give their presentations.”

I think this is a pipe dream. It would be very tiresome to output a presentation to bitmaps, then convert them in iTunes, then upload them. Not to mention the conversion quality, exspecially of text, will be iffy and suffer from jaggies.

People who need to do this will use a (cheaper) Pocket PC or similar PDA.

Posted by Pocket PC on October 29, 2004 at 12:24 PM (PDT)

They needed to add a colour screen to keep up with the competition, so why not make use of it. Most people buying it won’t use the photo feature, it’s just a colour screen iPod to them.

Posted by henrik on October 29, 2004 at 2:34 PM (PDT)

I just got back from the Apple store with my brand new 40gb iPod Photo! I think that it was worth the extra $100 in the color screen alone, plus all of the accessories that come with it standard. Another thing - the Belkin adapter does work with it to transfer your files, you just can’t view them on the iPod until it is synched. That seems like it’s a software problem, that will probably be addressed in a few months. And even if it isn’t, it can still be a great dump for my memory cards, coupled with the greatest MP3 player ever.

“Not to mention the conversion quality, exspecially of text, will be iffy and suffer from jaggies.”

The iPod can accept full resolution files. Converting a PowerPoint into a .jpeg sequence is actually quite easy, and looks just fine all the times I have done it…I’ll attempt this later and see how well it works, and repost something then.

Posted by Chris on October 29, 2004 at 2:49 PM (PDT)

im a cover art lover. i sit for hours staring at my cover art while the music is playing in itunes, enjoying it just as if i have the jewel case in my hands. i search all the sites for cover art, buy.com, walmart.com, amazon.com, even comparing them from different sites to see what has the clearest best design. I have added manually 19,400 songs with the real cover art to enjoy in itunes. NOW COMES THE IPOD PHOTO….im almost in heaven reading about this iconic surreal invention by the worlds best music player. but i went to the apple store today in san francisco and got my gritty little hands on the 60 gig in full blown rainbow color!! im initially impressed with how clear the photos display on the color screen, but i quickly jiggle my little fingers in a desperate attempt to access the cover art feature ive always dreamed about. WHAT DID I DISCOVER????? a pint size picture encompassing a itty bitty square, i feel so let down… how could this happen, the cover art does NOT fill the whole screen….i almost want to cry, what a waste of real estate, what a disappointment for this cover art lover in me, but i hesitate one second, i found a way, i found a way to make the cover art go bigger, to grow bigger, while the screen says “now playing,” i push the middle button on the click wheel and it expands the color screen almost to 87% of the size, and i feel good, oh gosh i feel great, uhhhhhhhh,,,,,,,after five seconds from expanding, it returns automatically back to the little turd that couldnt, the little stupid box art no bigger than my piss droplet. oh why WHY WHY ME?????

Posted by osx on October 30, 2004 at 1:05 AM (PDT)

Are you sure about the album cover art being small, OSX?  There has been no mention of that in reviews I’ve read by people who have examined the iPod Photo extensively.  That includes David Pogue and CNet Reviews.

Posted by Podesta in Portland, OR on October 30, 2004 at 9:42 AM (PDT)

Well that speaks volumes about apple quality.

Posted by bm in Brazil on October 30, 2004 at 10:36 AM (PDT)

I’m not sold on the photo viewer on the ipod. The color screen should have been on the G4 ipods for one and instead of photos I would like to to the visualizer on the screen. I would think that Jobs would take the ipod design and make a bigger ipod-ish photo device with a 3-4 inch screen that was more photo oriented.

Posted by Phoenix ipod-man on October 30, 2004 at 4:17 PM (PDT)

Just an idea, but is it possible to put a U2 iPod face on a iPod Photo, to obtain a U2 iPod Photo.
U2 iPod + iPod Photo = 349 $ + 599$ and you obtain a U2 iPod Photo (Priceless) and a regular 4g IPod whith the other parts…..

Does anybody will have the bright idea to spend money for this FrankenPod please

Posted by francocash on October 31, 2004 at 2:01 AM (PDT)

lol frankenpod!

Posted by hamp on October 31, 2004 at 4:04 PM (PDT)

Then again, other than to view cover art of albums, you WON’T really need / care if the ‘pod’ photo was color screen or not. C’mon…. all you do is scroll around with TEXT. Who cares if it’s color?!

Posted by PWL on October 31, 2004 at 4:53 PM (PDT)

Having played with the new iPod photo; it seems that Apple is just building up momentum for this unit so that it can play videos.  They’re probably just working out rights issues so you can download movies onto the unit using iTunes.  Afterall, Quicktime is well integrated into iTunes these days.  While looking at photos, I was pretty amazed to see how quickly the photos would scroll through one another.  This is many many times faster than anything most digital cameras can do.  Since iTunes is going to be upgraded again in the next few weeks to support “additional features”, this will drive Sony, Creative, and all other manufactures with portable digital players scrambling for market share again.

Posted by slorhino on October 31, 2004 at 8:20 PM (PDT)

Page 2 of 3 pages  <  1 2 3 >