Apple: iPod touch screen issues “being remedied” | iLounge News

Apple: iPod touch screen issues “being remedied”

Though the company has yet to issue an official statement regarding its replacement policies for defective iPod touch devices, Apple today acknowledged to The Wall Street Journal’s Walt Mossberg that “a small number of units” have defective screens, an issue that “is being remedied,” according to Mossberg. The columnist noted that “some early iPod Touch units have had defective screens, where images appeared too dark,” but said that “my two test units displayed beautiful images.” iLounge’s review, based upon two store-purchased iPod touch units, highlighted the dark screen problem as one of several affecting the new device.

Some contributors to the iLounge and Apple discussion forums have expressed dismay that Apple Stores have charged them $30 to $40 restocking fees when they’ve attempted to return iPod touch units with dark screens, and that employees have attempted to blame the problems on poor user video encoding and overly high expectations for the screens, amongst other reasons. It is unclear whether Apple will refund the restocking fees in light of the defect, and when guaranteed properly working iPod touch units will be available in stores.

« Meridian iRIS iPod Dock offers 1080p output

Matias adds iPhone model to Armor line »

Comments

rottenapple thanks, I happen to work for apple and take offense to that.  I can say without a doubt that I’m not like that, and do all I can to fix situations like this.  You can’t blame the store employees for corporate rules.

Posted by MatrixSJD on September 20, 2007 at 2:37 AM (CDT)

MatrixSJD, you’re probably not the majority!

Posted by ipoduser on September 20, 2007 at 4:17 AM (CDT)

So MatrixSJD, are you saying the stores have been told to blame user error for the Touch screen issues??

Posted by StillNotSureAboutTouch on September 20, 2007 at 6:51 AM (CDT)

This is very good news. My Touch is still 2 weeks away from delivery, so I’m sure this will be fixed by then.

@rottenapple: I think you are out of line with your comment. Not funny and doesn’t contribute to the story.

Posted by Japester on September 20, 2007 at 8:01 AM (CDT)

great post rottenapple (not).  Totally appropriate to threaten gun violence over frustration with customer service.  And no, I don’t care whether you were only kidding.

Where are the moderators to remove inappropriate posts when you need them?

Posted by dodo on September 20, 2007 at 8:02 AM (CDT)

If there does turn out to be a problem with the screen which Apple can remedy will iLounge re-rate the iPod Touch and give it a higher score? I think they should.

Posted by Steve on September 20, 2007 at 9:50 AM (CDT)

I can’t believe I’m chiming in, but mention of an iGlock is clearly tongue in cheek, hardly a threat of gun violence.

Posted by Peter T on September 20, 2007 at 10:20 AM (CDT)

I cancelled my online order after the screen issues became prevalent and I’ve been following the issue closely. I’m glad that someone has finally gotten Apple to comment that the issue does in fact exist (like we didn’t know that) and that they’re doing something about it. I will definitely buy one after I’m sure that my chances of getting one with a good screen are high.

Posted by bhauke on September 20, 2007 at 12:38 PM (CDT)

This whole thing is totally overblown. Yes, some of the initial units out of the factory have this problem, likely a QC issue. All of a sudden, this has morphed into “the iPod touches have inferior screens to the iPhone!!!” with everyone running around with their hair on fire, with no confirmation of this fact whatsoever. Relax, people, it’s just some defective units from the first run. I just got mine from Apple Online, and the screen is gorgeous. Replacements are coming for those that got defective untis, and hopefully not too many people paid attention to the scare-mongering and returned their units too early, thus having to pay a restocking fee and losing their place in line for a replacement. Sheesh, I’m starting to wonder if these iPod websites do more harm than good.

Posted by ArtDecoDalek on September 20, 2007 at 12:56 PM (CDT)

yeah I was the first one at my local apple store to buy a touch and i got one of the defectiveunits and I guess I will have to go back amd get my replacement

Posted by scott on September 20, 2007 at 1:18 PM (CDT)

If you’ve preordered from Amazon, are you likely to get new production or stock that’s been in the warehouse for weeks?

Posted by powerdog on September 20, 2007 at 1:30 PM (CDT)

StillNotSureAboutTouch, no I’m not saying that, I’m talking about the restocking fee, it’s corporate rules, and not something that we employees have control over.  So you can’t blame us for something we have no control over.

Posted by MatrixSJD on September 20, 2007 at 2:38 PM (CDT)

Wait I Pre-orded one online at the aplle site. On the 16th. Does this mean i will get a defective product? Should I cancel the order? Because it says it will ship on the 2nd - 4th of Oct.

Posted by Matt on September 20, 2007 at 3:09 PM (CDT)

Matt, people who order from the online AS are getting them shipped direct from China. Assuming the factory doesn’t stockpile and ship old product, you should get a “fresh” one.

But I still wonder if Amazon got its stock already. I’m thinking of switching my order to the AS for that reason.

Posted by powerdog on September 20, 2007 at 4:48 PM (CDT)

Regarding the restocking fee, it’s application on a faulty product is in error. This is the rule in Sweden, in EU and I am sure it is in the US.

Posted by Martin on September 20, 2007 at 6:17 PM (CDT)

Thank you “powerdog” I guess I’ll just keep my order.

Posted by Matt on September 20, 2007 at 6:38 PM (CDT)

Got my pre-order from store.apple site from the launch day…this is a week 38 unit, and the screen is one of the good ones…looks great…ran multiple tests being suggested under different lighting conditions…

Posted by wc127233 on September 21, 2007 at 6:35 AM (CDT)

So Matrixsjd, is tha apple corporate policy to stick high restocking fee for defective item?

Not good.

Posted by rottenapples on September 21, 2007 at 7:41 AM (CDT)

Reading a lot of other threads about this issue…it sounds like it’s only a few isolated cases where the store is charging the restocking fee…it seems the majority are not being charged, which is most likely the policy…

Posted by wc127233 on September 21, 2007 at 8:15 AM (CDT)

Yep, I got a defective one. At first I thought it was just in my head. But after finding out more people were having this problem on the forums I called apple up to see what could be down. Of course, all thier phone support is outsourcced to india, so they have no idea how to even speak english let alone know what black level is.  They wanted me to send it in for repairs but they would pay for it. REPAIRS??? I just got it two days ago, why the fuck would I send it in for repairs. I want a new one. So I hung up after a little argueing and made an appoitment with the genius bar. Can’t wait until tomorrow. If they try to charge me a restocking fee I will give em hell. I am a loyal applist but if they dont take care of this in a practical manner than I might have to change that. I am going to bring in my apple video 5g side by side with the ipod touch, same video screenshot. There is no denying the difference would looked at side by side.

Posted by Daniel on September 21, 2007 at 5:30 PM (CDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >