Apple: iTunes Plus now offers over two million tracks | iLounge News

Apple: iTunes Plus now offers over two million tracks

Apple has announced that it has expanded its iTunes Plus offerings to over two million tracks, making the iTunes Plus catalog the “largest DRM-free catalog in the world”. Apple revealed the expansion, which includes artists from Sub Pop, Nettwerk, Beggars Group, IODA, The Orchard, and more, in a press release announcing new $0.99 pricing for all iTunes Plus tracks. “iTunes Plus has been incredibly popular with our customers and now we’re making it available at an even more affordable price,” said Eddy Cue, Apple’s vice president of iTunes. “We’re adding over two million tracks from key independent labels in addition to EMI’s digital catalog and look forward to even more labels and artists making their music available on iTunes Plus.”

« iPhones shipping with sound icons on silent switch?

Mix: Nike+, Leopard, AT&T, touch dock »

Comments

So will these DRM-free songs REPLACE the DRM songs?

Posted by bookcase on October 17, 2007 at 6:54 AM (PDT)

If we have these DRM based songs in our library are we going to have to pay the whole amount if we want to upgrade to the DRM free songs, or can we swap out or just download them again?  You used to have to just pay the difference when they were $1.29.

Posted by franticnomad on October 17, 2007 at 7:14 AM (PDT)

So far, no. I upgraded 62 songs yesterday and today I have 44 to upgrade, but at a cost. These songs now cost the same as when I bought them but Apple wants me to pay more for them. I think I’ll wait.

Posted by Rick Moore on October 17, 2007 at 7:15 AM (PDT)

with this, though, there are now problems.

it started for me about a month and a half ago, but now its becoming more of a problem. its nice to boast that you have the largest catalog, but the service has to work flawlessly to make it worth the price. so far, Apple has gipped me upwards of $25 because of their unwillingness to actually solve the problem. now that there are others with this trouble, maybe it’ll get fixed.

Posted by lukelucas on October 17, 2007 at 7:21 AM (PDT)

I upgraded my library flawlessly on the 15th.

It would appear a premium will still be required to “unwrap” songs already purchased, but at least from her on out it will be cheaper for non-drm.

You’d think they would have been prepared this time around given the growing pains they had last time when they added iTunes Plus upgrading.

Posted by studogvetmed in Loveland, CO on October 17, 2007 at 8:08 AM (PDT)

Be sure to check Emusic.com first for songs from these independent labels.  It’s way less expensive and you get almost exactly the same file (i.e., no DRM).

Posted by Phronk on October 17, 2007 at 8:43 AM (PDT)

yeah, so far, i see this as pretty weak.  as far as not reimbursing for already upgraded tracks, well, i guess it’s the “new” factor.  (i was never a fan of the upgrade process to begin with being as how i had to upgrade stuff my girlfriend downloaded that i would never listen to anyway) however, now they want me to pay $3 to upgrade my shins album that costs the same now as it cost when i bought it?

Posted by fogues on October 17, 2007 at 9:58 AM (PDT)

OK, this is pretty annoying! I bought an album with 26 DRMed tracks on October 12. Now I find out that it’s available without DRM, less than a week later at the same price I paid, BUT I now have to pay nearly $5.00 more for it. I think that’s ridiculous.

Posted by urbanslaughter on October 17, 2007 at 11:57 AM (PDT)

You are paying for non DRM and twice the bit rate. Sure it’s the same price as the previous product was, but it’s still a new product.

I buy a BNL CD on day one and two weeks later they decide to release a special edition. I don’t get a free upgrade.

And you don’t HAVE to upgrade.

I’d like to see them bring in selective upgrading though.

Posted by studogvetmed in Loveland, CO on October 17, 2007 at 2:05 PM (PDT)

You’ll notice that once again those of us in the UK get stiffed yet again.  No price reduction for iTunes plus here.

Posted by phennphawcks on October 17, 2007 at 11:49 PM (PDT)

I think I’ll keep using Amazon because I like MP3s more. You never know what the future holds and MP3s work in all devices. At some point I may use something other than an ipod, (shudder) to play music.

Posted by gear on October 18, 2007 at 2:56 AM (PDT)

phennphawcks,

Posted by Bob Levens in UK on October 18, 2007 at 5:03 AM (PDT)

I agree with comment #6.  I use eMusic myself and much prefer it over hassling with the iTunes store.  The only real gripe I have with eMusic is that they do make you go with one of thier subscription plans.  Would be nice if they had an option to “ala carte” download tracks, even if they were more (say 50 cents) than going with a subscription plan.  At least the good thing is that they let me keep my 90 downloads for $20/month when they changed thier service plans.  That comes out to around 22 cents per track.  Plus, these are plain’ol MP3 files that will work on just about anything that can play back MP3s.

Still cool that iTunes is offering DRM free tracks. I guess it is time Steve Jobs puts his money where his mouth is.  Does suck for those that got stuck having to pay to “upgrade” their tracks, though.

Posted by SkiBumMSP on October 22, 2007 at 9:11 PM (PDT)