Apple: Jailbreaking iPhones and iPod touches is illegal | iLounge News

Apple: Jailbreaking iPhones and iPod touches is illegal

In comments filed with the U.S. Copyright Office related to a proposed new exemption to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA), which would explicitly allow jailbreaking of iPhones, Apple has argued that jailbreaking constitutes copyright infringement and a DMCA violation, and is therefore illegal. The company claims that jailbroken iPhones depend on modified versions of Apple’s copyrighted bootloader and operating system software, and that these more open versions compromise safety, security, and reliability, along with making it easier for users who wish to pirate software. In the days following the iPhone’s release, Apple actively combatted jailbreaking through changes to the device’s software; it had appeared to give these measures less attention since the launch of iPhone OS 2.0 and the App Store, which provides a legal way to add applications to the devices. [via BoingBoing]

« Sign up for iPodweek, arriving shortly

Next-generation iPhone photos leaked online? »

Comments

apple would not have a problem with jail broken ipods if they made them with all the fetures a jail broken ipod comes with

Posted by kevin bryant on January 29, 2010 at 5:07 PM (PDT)

Thats ########. its not illegal!

Posted by j on June 14, 2010 at 10:54 AM (PDT)

Apple did do that update to put backrounds on, but only for 32gig and 64gig iphones/touches. And it really sucks. I jailbroke my 8gig, even though I’m clumsy and if I break it, I’m dead. I’m probably gunna take it off eventually (I’m not sure how long the warranty is for - if it’s for a year, !@#$!!! If it’s for 90 Days, it doesn’t matter. .. Even though I can take it into Best Buy…. Anyway, yeah.

Posted by Someone on August 4, 2010 at 12:07 PM (PDT)

I have an iPod Touch 4G - that I have jailbroken - I wish to display the iPod screen on a MultiMedia Projctor and HD TV screens in the classroom. I have some nifty Apps which are really ood for classwork (Senior students). It was necessary to install TV out 2 through Cydia. I wish that Apple would make an App to do this simply instead of the convoluted set of instruction necessary to be able to do this simple task. The cable costs $70 - is it just me or do others feel that this is a little exhorbitant?

Posted by Pedagog on October 22, 2010 at 7:42 AM (PDT)

Who cares if it is legal or not do u realy thinks the cops r going to be knoking on rhe door and say your arrested for a jailbroken ipod lik i mean how does that sound

Posted by Jp on November 7, 2011 at 3:34 PM (PDT)

Honestly, it IS legal to jail break your ipod, because you bought it, and you can do whatever you want with it, its your responsibillity. (however, Apple takes away the void if it ends up broken FROM jail breaking your ipod or iphone, keep this in mind) It is ILLEGAl if you download anything for free that costed money because its just like stealing. Once you get these thoughts inside your head, mabey less people will download illegal merchandise.

Posted by Lauren Carten on August 18, 2012 at 12:21 PM (PDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  <  1 2