Apple job posting points to video iPod | iLounge News

Apple job posting points to video iPod

The following job posting has just appeared on Apple.com:

“Seeking a highly motivated engineer to develop next generation iPod product. Must have experience in overall system design of audio and video products.”

Just as an Apple job posting in early 2003 for a developer of iTunes for Windows was a clear confirmation of that product’s arrival (which came six months later), this posting seems to demonstrate very clearly that the iPod is heading toward video.

« iTunes 4.2 and new ‘Grouping’ feature

PCWorld: iTunes is “the greatest, coolest, most insanely frustrating media player” »

Comments

I don’t know what to do now.  I want an iPod for Christmas, but I am wating until after the expo to get one.  And now it looks like Apple is going to finally do a video iPod.  I don’t know what to do.  I guess I have to ask myself the question.  Will I be mad in 6 months when they roll out the 4th gen and I am stuck with the 3rd gen?

Posted by Jim on December 19, 2003 at 11:52 AM (CST)

I would rather see them stick with the ipod as an audio-only player and maybe create a new product for video.  For people that love the ipod and don’t want to spend an extra 200 dollars more for an already expensive product, just for the ability to play video, going the route of an audio/video player will alienate those people who love the ipod as a simple audio player.

Obvious other questions arise as well.  How many hours of video play time are you going to get out of a 6 hour battery?  If they don’t go to higher capacity batteries, you can expect to get 1 hour of video.

I think they need to work out the kinks of the ipod as an audio-only unit before they take on video.

Posted by dave on December 19, 2003 at 12:02 PM (CST)

“I think they need to work out the kinks of the ipod as an audio-only unit…”

That’s classic. I agree. Once they get those kinks worked out they can really get sales moving. They’re only selling 3 per minute right now.

Posted by Atomic Bomb in Mid-Atlantic on December 19, 2003 at 12:21 PM (CST)

Jim - No matter when you get your ipod, there will probably be a newer, better one right around the corner.

When you do buy, you can get a little extra ‘protection’ if go to someplace like CompUSA or BestBuy and buy the extended warranty.

I got a 2nd gen 20gb for xmas last year, then traded it in for a 3rd gen 30gb in August after my headphone jack starting shorting out.  My local BestBuy wasn’t too strict about it when I brought it back…they pretty much let me exchange it no questions asked

Posted by me on December 19, 2003 at 12:21 PM (CST)

Well, this is another hint for me to wait a bit for the next generation to come out.  I’m with you, Jim, on possibly waiting, especially if you are not in any kind of dire need to get one right now.

Posted by Tom on December 19, 2003 at 12:23 PM (CST)

and while I’d love to see an iPod A/V, I hope they would keep audio-only iPods as well.  maybe create an iPod product line with several different devices to tempt, er uh, meet your needs…

Posted by me on December 19, 2003 at 12:24 PM (CST)

“Once they get those kinks worked out they can really get sales moving. They’re only selling 3 per minute right now.”

They’d be selling 10 a min if the battery life wasn’t so shitty.

Posted by dave on December 19, 2003 at 12:35 PM (CST)

In a recent issue of Rolling Stone, Steve Jobs said in an interview that he was definitely not interested in making a video iPod. While he was suspiciously concise about it all, he did cite battery life as one of the major reasons why it wouldn’t be worth the R&D.

Posted by Ben on December 19, 2003 at 12:36 PM (CST)

Two words: Album covers

You get them from the iTunes Music Store and now they can display on your iPod. The artists and the labels like that I’ve also heard rumors of music video sales, but that seems sketchy to me.

It’s all speculation at this point. But with the earlier reported rumor about a new battery technology - and the rumor about iSight connection to the iPod to make an instant digital video camera - something video-related is on the way. It won’t be movies, but it’ll be something.

Regarding the video camera idea, the iSight’s power consumption is so low that the current iPod battery powering both would still last longer than any digital video camera on the market today.

And despite what dave may say, I don’t think the desire to have a battery last longer than 8 hours per charge would triple sales.

Posted by Atomic Bomb in Mid-Atlantic on December 19, 2003 at 12:45 PM (CST)

i dont really htnk album covers would make a better ipod. do you really need to look at a tiny picture of a cover of the cd that you are listening to? i dont. i didnt carry around cd cases with my old cd player to look at the cover. i used them to do what they were intended to do. Hold cds. i dont like the idea of a video idea. a color screen would mean more battery usage, and they cant get more battery life without making a bigger ipod. i would rather have the current ipod than a bigger video playing one. and i am very concerned about size. even the 40 is too big for me

Posted by iPodMaster on December 19, 2003 at 1:06 PM (CST)

iPodMaster - I completely agree with you. I have no interest in a video iPod.

Posted by Atomic Bomb in Mid-Atlantic on December 19, 2003 at 1:09 PM (CST)

For what it’s worth guys I saw an article in USA Today saying the videoiPod will be out sometime in the fall.

Posted by scrins on December 19, 2003 at 2:08 PM (CST)

Apple, IMO opinion, never covers 1 problem at a time. They’ll get the battery video and all in one shot. I don’t think It’ll be shaped as an iPod. Prolly something with the same footprint as an iPod that folds out like a laptop. Maybe with Bluetooth support. ! The vPod!

Posted by Sam on December 19, 2003 at 2:26 PM (CST)

Well I agree with

Posted by Jeff on December 19, 2003 at 3:20 PM (CST)

Shouldn’t it be called the eyePod?

Posted by Jeremy on December 19, 2003 at 3:30 PM (CST)

iPod is a audio device. NOT a video device. i would happily buy a seperate ‘eyePod’.

Posted by Nathan on December 19, 2003 at 3:55 PM (CST)

eyepod looks like a cool name but sounds the same as ipod.  Apple has a history of naming products I’something’  They have used isight, ipod…, so ivid would be what i would name it.  But i think it is important to say it isn’t even made yet or designed.  So lets all just sit back and relax with our ipod and enjoy the christmas.

Cheers,
Jeff

Posted by Jeff on December 19, 2003 at 4:05 PM (CST)

iSee

Posted by PodLover on December 19, 2003 at 4:27 PM (CST)

iSee is good but i agree with jeff this is still a rumor

Posted by Good on December 19, 2003 at 4:29 PM (CST)

i think itd be pretty nifty to watch sohrt episodes of family guy or somink on a HIGH res screen, with te option of having firewire-tv output type thing, obviously, watchnig a movie wud be no fun as its 2 long to look at such a small screen, that is, if it isnt changed. bear in mind though ppl that technology is ALWAYS developing, and some people seem scared of this. obviously i wudnt really want them to bring out the new video ipods cos we’ll prob see a re-occurance of the negative feedback that apple got wen they “dusted the 2nd gens” under the carpet. hopefully this wont happen but yeh, ur neva going to get the last of a run. apple will keep upgrading the ipod in their owen interest (to keep up with competitors)

Posted by silver_haze20 on December 19, 2003 at 4:38 PM (CST)

Page 1 of 3 pages  1 2 3 >